The Shocking Detail That Got This Woman Evicted From Her Home After 49 Years–Could It Happen to You?

At the Seniors Discount Club, our community is something that we genuinely care about. We feel that it's important to share stories of our fellow seniors going through difficult times in the hope that we can rally around and find solutions together.

One such story is that of 77-year-old Rosemarie Earley, who is facing an eviction from her home of almost 50 years – all due to a single detail on the property's original lease.

Rosemarie and her husband, Eric, moved into their home in Woonona, a northern suburb of Wollongong, just a couple of years after they immigrated from England in 1971. The couple had a simple dream of a better life for their family in Australia.

Their home was nothing more than an empty shell when they first moved in. With no carpets, window fittings, lightbulbs, or even soil, Rosemarie and Eric had to furnish, renovate, and make improvements with their own money. They even bought a garage and paid to have gas connected.

Screenshot_3.png
Although Rosemarie Earley has lived in the Woonona house for 49 years, her name was not added to the lease until recently. Source: A Current Affair

While initially under the impression they were buying the house – the paperwork stated they had been 'approved to purchase' – the couple was later informed they would never be able to buy it.

However, they didn't worry too much about that, as an inspector who visited the housing commission property assured them they could 'stay here till you die', giving them a sense of security and peace.

Unfortunately, their dream took a tragic turn when Eric passed away after a long illness. As stipulated by the original lease, only the husband's name was allowed, and so Rosemarie contacted the NSW government to have her name recognised as a tenant in their beloved home.

It was a different time back then, with the husband seen as the breadwinner and females relegated to being housewives with a limited say in such matters.

document-g5b8a04962_1280.jpg
Image by Michal Jarmoluk from Pixabay

The unexpected consequence of this simple request for recognition resulted in an eviction notice. Rosemarie was initially thrilled to sign paperwork that allowed her to stay in the house with her name on the lease. But just six weeks later, she received a letter stating that her home no longer met her needs.

Devastated, Rosemarie has described the decision to move her as 'absolutely disgusting' and has made a desperate plea for compassion. Her home is ideally suited to her needs, being on one level with modifications made for her age.

A Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson addressed the situation, acknowledging the difficulty of living in a home for 49 years and being forced to leave it. They advised that Rosemarie could stay in the current property until another suitable home is found.

The spokesperson also noted that Rosemarie's current residence is a three-bedroom home occupied by a single person, and they are reviewing housing options to accommodate her while still providing suitable housing for the many families on social housing waiting lists.

Rosemarie has requested a two-bedroom home, and the department is working on securing her desired property as a priority in the area she has chosen to live in.

The Urgent Need to Address Housing Instability Amongst the Elderly​

The heartbreaking story of Rosemarie Earley serves as a reminder of the importance of standing together as a community and supporting each other during difficult times, especially for elderly Australians who are facing housing instability. Ms. Earley's eviction highlights the precarious situation faced by many older citizens struggling to find suitable housing, a problem that is becoming increasingly common across Australia.

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), over 39,000 people aged 55 and over were living in social housing as of June 2020, and with an aging population, the wait lists for housing assistance and homelessness services will only continue to grow. This state of housing instability can have serious implications for a person's physical and mental health, with seniors being particularly vulnerable due to their higher risk of falls and physical ailments that require longer recovery times.

The uncertainty of being evicted from a home of almost 50 years, the associated stress and financial burden, and the health impacts that come with it are significant concerns. Aging Australians may suffer from depression, anxiety, and stress, as well as physical ailments like heart rate and hypertension, as noted by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI).

As a community, we must do more to protect elderly Australians who are facing housing insecurity. Sharing stories like Ms. Earley's on social media, raising awareness, and continuing the conversation can help bring attention to this critical issue.

Key Takeaways

• A 77-year-old woman in Woonona is being evicted from her home of 49 years by the NSW government due to a detail on the property's original lease.
  • Rosemarie Earley contacted the NSW government to be recognized as a tenant after her husband's death, which led to an eviction notice.
  • The house reportedly meets Ms. Earley's needs for her age and she has requested a two-bedroom home.
  • A Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson said they are working with the NSW Land and Housing Corporation and Ms. Earley to find a suitable home and allow her to remain in her current property until a suitable property is confirmed.

If you have a story or experience to share, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Seniors Discount Club. Together, we can find ways to help one another and provide the necessary support to elderly citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
At the Seniors Discount Club, our community is something that we genuinely care about. We feel that it's important to share stories of our fellow seniors going through difficult times in the hope that we can rally around and find solutions together.

One such story is that of 77-year-old Rosemarie Earley, who is facing an eviction from her home of almost 50 years – all due to a single detail on the property's original lease.

Rosemarie and her husband, Eric, moved into their home in Woonona, a northern suburb of Wollongong, just a couple of years after they immigrated from England in 1971. The couple had a simple dream of a better life for their family in Australia.

Their home was nothing more than an empty shell when they first moved in. With no carpets, window fittings, lightbulbs, or even soil, Rosemarie and Eric had to furnish, renovate, and make improvements with their own money. They even bought a garage and paid to have gas connected.

View attachment 19431
Although Rosemarie Earley has lived in the Woonona house for 49 years, her name was not added to the lease until recently. Source: A Current Affair

While initially under the impression they were buying the house – the paperwork stated they had been 'approved to purchase' – the couple was later informed they would never be able to buy it.

However, they didn't worry too much about that, as an inspector who visited the housing commission property assured them they could 'stay here till you die', giving them a sense of security and peace.

Unfortunately, their dream took a tragic turn when Eric passed away after a long illness. As stipulated by the original lease, only the husband's name was allowed, and so Rosemarie contacted the NSW government to have her name recognised as a tenant in their beloved home.

It was a different time back then, with the husband seen as the breadwinner and females relegated to being housewives with a limited say in such matters.

The unexpected consequence of this simple request for recognition resulted in an eviction notice. Rosemarie was initially thrilled to sign paperwork that allowed her to stay in the house with her name on the lease. But just six weeks later, she received a letter stating that her home no longer met her needs.

Devastated, Rosemarie has described the decision to move her as 'absolutely disgusting' and has made a desperate plea for compassion. Her home is ideally suited to her needs, being on one level with modifications made for her age.

A Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson addressed the situation, acknowledging the difficulty of living in a home for 49 years and being forced to leave it. They advised that Rosemarie could stay in the current property until another suitable home is found.

The spokesperson also noted that Rosemarie's current residence is a three-bedroom home occupied by a single person, and they are reviewing housing options to accommodate her while still providing suitable housing for the many families on social housing waiting lists.

Rosemarie has requested a two-bedroom home, and the department is working on securing her desired property as a priority in the area she has chosen to live in.

The heartbreaking story of Rosemarie Earley serves as a reminder of the importance of standing together as a community and supporting each other during difficult times, especially for elderly Australians who are facing housing instability. Ms. Earley's eviction highlights the precarious situation faced by many older citizens struggling to find suitable housing, a problem that is becoming increasingly common across Australia.

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), over 39,000 people aged 55 and over were living in social housing as of June 2020, and with an aging population, the wait lists for housing assistance and homelessness services will only continue to grow. This state of housing instability can have serious implications for a person's physical and mental health, with seniors being particularly vulnerable due to their higher risk of falls and physical ailments that require longer recovery times.

The uncertainty of being evicted from a home of almost 50 years, the associated stress and financial burden, and the health impacts that come with it are significant concerns. Aging Australians may suffer from depression, anxiety, and stress, as well as physical ailments like heart rate and hypertension, as noted by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI).

As a community, we must do more to protect elderly Australians who are facing housing insecurity. Sharing stories like Ms. Earley's on social media, raising awareness, and continuing the conversation can help bring attention to this critical issue.

Key Takeaways

• A 77-year-old woman in Woonona is being evicted from her home of 49 years by the NSW government due to a detail on the property's original lease.
  • Rosemarie Earley contacted the NSW government to be recognized as a tenant after her husband's death, which led to an eviction notice.
  • The house reportedly meets Ms. Earley's needs for her age and she has requested a two-bedroom home.
  • A Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson said they are working with the NSW Land and Housing Corporation and Ms. Earley to find a suitable home and allow her to remain in her current property until a suitable property is confirmed.

If you have a story or experience to share, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Seniors Discount Club. Together, we can find ways to help one another and provide the necessary support to elderly citizens.
I think it’s damn terrible. I grew up in a housing commission house. Initially in dad s name. It was changed to mums name and she was allowed to stay until she passed.

I think they should be recompensed for the garage and any other fixed improvements to the property unless of course it was done without advising the Department. They can be tough. I understand there are many homeless families who would be thrilled to be allocated a well-kept 3-bedroom home to rent. I do trust this lady, if relocated is not put in some highrise complex. They are usually the worst community living conditions. It is so difficult for far too many elderly widowed people now who may have relied on their spouse for support and were legally named for all contracts. There needs to be some clear clause to enable the transfer to the living spouse at the death if legally responsible.

Houso entitlement, all the way. 49 years in Public Housing?
Naaaaah. As far as I am concerned, Public Housing should be strictly for emergency use only, for no more than six months while people re-establish after whatever trauma befell them, and renewable only if continuing to satisfy qualification criteria. There's plenty of other demand for this 3-bedder.

When it comes to legal documents even those of us with basic legal knowledge can be confused. There needs to be a compassionate way to help elderly residents in a housing commission home who have spent years there and funding any improvements themselves while at the same time proving homes for families. Solution - 1. refund any improvements if moving residents out. 2. Provide alternatives for those being moved out and the big one State and Federal Governments building more homes for those who cannot afford. If governments cut back on funding sports stadiums or Olympics for starters that would assist.

I think they should be recompensed for the garage and any other fixed improvements to the property unless of course it was done without advising the Department. They can be tough. I understand there are many homeless families who would be thrilled to be allocated a well-kept 3-bedroom home to rent. I do trust this lady, if relocated is not put in some highrise complex. They are usually the worst community living conditions. It is so difficult for far too many elderly widowed people now who may have relied on their spouse for support and were legally named for all contracts. There needs to be some clear clause to enable the transfer to the living spouse at the death if legally
Naaaaah. As far as I am concerned, Public Housing should be strictly for emergency use only, for no more than six months while people re-establish after whatever trauma befell them, and renewable only if continuing to satisfy qualification criteria. There's plenty of other demand for this 3-bedder.

I have high-priority approval for a 2-bed house in the same area. I have been waiting for 2 years plus. They tried to put me in a one-bed flat in a high-rise block which I turned down. This is all typical of beaurocracy in the appropriate government departments who are heartless morons who do not take any care with looking at the PEOPLE that they are dealing with. It absolutely makes me so angry to the point of affecting my blood pressure. They need to let Rosemarie live out the rest of her life in the home she created with her husband for their family. Leave her alone you idiots. With myself, well I'm getting used to the idea that it will never happen. I do appreciate that I have a lot of assistance from various local and federal departments and I am hoping that I can get the same services when my current landlord prices me out of my existing home onto the street.

Saw this on A Current Affair. They can not use these laws of paperwork in Husband's name anymore. I'm pretty sure it was outlawed by Federal Legislation.

The old days part that was not so good in any way, that everything was put into the hubby's name, even when a home was purchased and loan paid off. The couple, two people, husband & wife had done everything 'together' to pay off that loan, the council rates, energy and home insurance. Then the husband passed away and the wife and any children, even if adults had to pay Death Duties. Many women had to sell the homes to pay Death Taxes simply because the property, car, everything was in the husband's name. If the wife passed away before the husband, then no problem but if he then passed away their children had to pay Death Duties (taxes).

Many women and children ended up homeless or in a tiny unit. Tiny villa and all because of a greedy government that Labor Party set-up.

Some husband's refused to change and use commonsense and put everything in both names, including the home and even more houses that they owned. Even cars, home insurance in two names. Some husbands woke-up and realised that everything that they worked for and went without to put a roof over the heads of their wife and children jump up and rushed to put everything in both names. Thankfully my own father 'finally' woke-up and when he did realise that the very home he was still paying off could all go and his wife and nine children would be homeless. He retired early due to ill health. When he woke up he actually expedited everything so in case he did pass away due to his ill health that mum and us would be assured the home would be in tact, no Death Duty Taxes' and that his insurance would pay off the loan.

ile I sympathise with Rosemary, it’s a case of not reading the fine print ! Perhaps she would like to offer a room or two,to women of similar age who are finding themselves in similar situation!
this is common in Singaporewhere families share a house ! A three bedroom house is too valuable to be occupied by one person when there are families in dire situations !

View attachment 19431

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19431

Key Takeaways

There is currently an epidemic related to lonliness and depression. Given that, she should be relocated to a 50 and over village where she will be able to make new friends. Public Housing is not 'the family home'. If she wanted a permanent home, they should have bought one and paid the mortgage, like everyone else. Why is she demanding a two bedroom unit? There are so many homeless people on the register to gain accommodation. Many with children and victims of domestic violence. She has such a sense of entitlement. I am afraid I have no sympathy for her. Why has she not taken some responsibility and displayed some decency and relocated herself to a senior village and released her home to provide some security for a parent with children?

View attachment 19431

Key Takeaways

Look it will all be solved tonight; the Government will have ANOTHER meeting with ANOTHER bunch of beaurocrats to discuss when they will be able to have a meeting with all the relevant people to see how something can be done and how that should happen, which will entail a meeting with more people of insignifigance, so these house in reality are never going to get off the ground......got it!!!

Reactions: Go Cats
So let me get this straight, they were ten pound poms and within two years they moved into a housing commission residence. Nothing in the report says anything about any children. All we know is, that she wants a two bedroom place to move to if she has to move out.
There are lots of people occupying housing commission residences that really should not have been in them for the period of time that they have been. Their children have grown up and either left home, or they are all still living in the same household and pulling in several thousand in wages and not reporting it to the government body overseeing accommodation. It is like someone said on the SDC site not long ago, if there is several brand new cars in the yard, they shouldn't be in public housing.
Public housing is not and should not be seen as a life long measure. It is temporary for families to get back on their feet. And now this lady is in a three bedroom house, whilst there are families homeless through interest rate hikes, landlord grabs, or whatever. It is happening all over the country. I'm sorry the lady lost her husband, but if they had bought a house instead of listening to some other ten pound pom, whose attitude was bought over from the mother country, she would not be in this situation.
And, before someone shouts me down about this, I was married to one of these poms, and when I wanted to be sterilized and was told I had to have his permission, the roof shook.

So let me get this straight, they were ten pound poms and within two years they moved into a housing commission residence. Nothing in the report says anything about any children. All we know is, that she wants a two bedroom place to move to if she has to move out.
There are lots of people occupying housing commission residences that really should not have been in them for the period of time that they have been. Their children have grown up and either left home, or they are all still living in the same household and pulling in several thousand in wages and not reporting it to the government body overseeing accommodation. It is like someone said on the SDC site not long ago, if there is several brand new cars in the yard, they shouldn't be in public housing.
Public housing is not and should not be seen as a life long measure. It is temporary for families to get back on their feet. And now this lady is in a three bedroom house, whilst there are families homeless through interest rate hikes, landlord grabs, or whatever. It is happening all over the country. I'm sorry the lady lost her husband, but if they had bought a house instead of listening to some other ten pound pom, whose attitude was bought over from the mother country, she would not be in this situation.
And, before someone shouts me down about this, I was married to one of these poms, and when I wanted to be sterilized and was told I had to have his permission, the roof shook.
sterilized??

As someone who grew up in public housing you have no idea what you are talking about. It was available on a needs basis for anyone who needed it without a time limit being applied. In the current housing crisis there is no way anyone will be able to find a home & save the bond etc in 6 months. Public housing was & should always be, for those who are in the lower income bracket & cannot afford to buy a home of their own or find one in their price bracket to rent.

There is currently an epidemic related to lonliness and depression. Given that, she should be relocated to a 50 and over village where she will be able to make new friends. Public Housing is not 'the family home'. If she wanted a permanent home, they should have bought one and paid the mortgage, like everyone else. Why is she demanding a two bedroom unit? There are so many homeless people on the register to gain accommodation. Many with children and victims of domestic violence. She has such a sense of entitlement. I am afraid I have no sympathy for her. Why has she not taken some responsibility and displayed some decency and relocated herself to a senior village and released her home to provide some security for a parent with children?
As a senior the last place I would want to live is in a 50 and over village. For me they are just a place where people go to die. There are no young people around to give life to the village. They are a place of increased loneliness for many as they do not make friends due to the fear that the "friend" could die soon & that breaks a friendship & increases depression. I worked in a job for many years where we had to deal with the increasing depression in people who had moved from their own home where they had friends of all ages around them to these villages.
This lady probably wants a 2 bedroom home so that she can have family come to stay for a time. This is vitally important to her mental health & for maintaining family units.
Show some compassion here.

ile I sympathise with Rosemary, it’s a case of not reading the fine print ! Perhaps she would like to offer a room or two,to women of similar age who are finding themselves in similar situation!
this is common in Singaporewhere families share a house ! A three bedroom house is too valuable to be occupied by one person when there are families in dire situations !
I live alone in a 3 bedroom house (fortunately I was able to purchase it late it my life) & have no desire to have someone else living with me, & definitely not someone of a similar age who might require more help than I am prepared to give as they age further. I definitely would not want someone else in my kitchen or wanting to choose which TV program to watch etc etc etc. Plus, if she receives rent from this person this would impact her pension & she could be worse off financially.
Having family share your home is different to having a stranger living in your home.

As a senior the last place I would want to live is in a 50 and over village. For me they are just a place where people go to die. There are no young people around to give life to the village. They are a place of increased loneliness for many as they do not make friends due to the fear that the "friend" could die soon & that breaks a friendship & increases depression. I worked in a job for many years where we had to deal with the increasing depression in people who had moved from their own home where they had friends of all ages around them to these villages.
This lady probably wants a 2 bedroom home so that she can have family come to stay for a time. This is vitally important to her mental health & for maintaining family units.
Show some compassion here.
So where is her family? These are tough times and people need to look around, show compassion because there are always someone in a worse position than you, and while it has just been her and her husband they really were not entitled to a three bedroom house for the two of them. In all honesty, they should never had been entitled to public housing at all.

Reactions: Trudi and Marj53