The secret to slashing your cost of living expenses revealed: is ‘going woke’ the answer?

As we navigate through the ever-increasing cost of living, we've discovered a surprising method that may help some members of the Senior Discount Club community to cut down expenses – 'going woke’.

In the midst of the ongoing cost of living crisis, some environmental and health-conscious options are proving to be not only good for the planet and our health but also our wallets.

While previously, leading a 'woke' lifestyle used to cost more, this cost of living crisis has reversed the situation, making it financially more feasible to adopt greener alternatives.

Here are some examples that explain how 'going woke' could lead to financial savings.

1683174375619.png
Going ‘woke’, won’t just help save the environment, it’ll also help save you money. Credit: Shutterstock

1. Embracing a vegetarian lifestyle

'No Meat May' is a 10-year-old campaign that promotes vegetarianism and an end to factory farming. The rising cost of living is inadvertently supporting their cause. Research commissioned by Perspectus Global shows that:

- 61% of consumers surveyed are considering eating less meat
- 37% are already buying less meat to save money
- 81% would eat less meat if it would save them one-third off their shopping bill

The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports that meat prices have increased by 4% in the past year, less than dairy (15%) and fruits and vegetables (5%). However, vegetables still remain much cheaper than meat overall, particularly premium cuts such as steak and lamb cutlets.

Lancet research suggests that a vegetarian diet could be up to 32% cheaper and save over $1,100 a year per person compared to a typical western diet. This is based on a ‘typical western diet’ costing up to $68 a week per person, compared with $57 a week for flexitarians (part-time meat eaters), and $46 a week for vegetarians.

2. Using solar power

While gas prices have tripled since 2020 due to a range of factors such as high international prices, a rebound in demand post-pandemic, and the invasion of Ukraine, the cost of solar hardware continues to drop by around 20% each year, according to the International Energy Agency.

Rooftop solar power is expected to generate more electricity than coal-fired power from this month when AGL closes its Liddell coal plant in New South Wales, says SunWiz.

Over 3.4 million Australians have installed rooftop solar systems, and their power prices have barely risen.

3. Embracing electric vehicles and alternative modes of transport

Fuel costs have skyrocketed, with the quarterly price of Unleaded rising by 11% from $1.64 a litre in March 2022 to $1.82/L in March 2023. Meanwhile, diesel has increased by 18% from $1.65/L to $1.94/L on average.

Although electricity prices have also risen, electric vehicle (EV) drivers who charge their cars at work or using their solar panels can still reduce their fuel expenses. However, of course we will acknowledge the average EV is a lot more expensive than a petrol-powered car.

Alternatively, using public transport or riding a bike can help cut down on the soaring costs of transportation.

4. Letting go of ultra-convenience

Many cheap and ultra-convenient services are now seeing price increases as funding dries up and interest rates rise (e.g., Uber fares, Airbnb rates, Marley Spoon pricing).

Embracing slow food and homemade meals, as well as being conscious consumers, can help save money during this cost of living crisis.

Key Takeaways
  • In the current cost of living crisis, it is now cheaper to adopt socially conscious lifestyle choices, such as vegetarianism and using solar power.
  • A vegetarian diet can be up to 32% cheaper compared to a traditional diet, saving over $1100 per person annually.
  • Solar hardware costs continue to drop by around 20% each year, and switching to rooftop solar can help households reduce expenses on power bills.
  • Adopting environmentally-friendly alternatives like public transport, EVs, and bicycles can help save money amidst rising petrol prices and experiencing an end to cheap convenience services by start-ups.

The current cost of living crisis has inadvertently made some healthier and greener alternatives more financially viable for seniors. By embracing these alternatives, you could not only improve your health and contribute to a more sustainable world but also save money in the process.

What do you think, members? Will you ‘go woke’? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

Sponsored
So (even without going vego) if I spend around $100,000 buying an electric vehicle, converting my residence to solar and rewiring the whole shebang to accommodate the extra load of the EV on the aforesaid solar system and its battery/ies, I can "slash my cost-of-living'? At my age, I will have to live to 100 to hit the break-even point (assuming the EV lasts that long, and that its battery doesn't need replacement, and that a hailstorm doesn't smash the solar array to bits in the meantime.)
All that, plus 30-odd years of methane-rich flatulence from a meat-free diet? I don't think so.
Go Woke? Go Choke!

As we navigate through the ever-increasing cost of living, we've discovered a surprising method that may help some members of the Senior Discount Club community to cut down expenses – 'going woke’.

In the midst of the ongoing cost of living crisis, some environmental and health-conscious options are proving to be not only good for the planet and our health but also our wallets.

While previously, leading a 'woke' lifestyle used to cost more, this cost of living crisis has reversed the situation, making it financially more feasible to adopt greener alternatives.

Here are some examples that explain how 'going woke' could lead to financial savings.

View attachment 19060
Going ‘woke’, won’t just help save the environment, it’ll also help save you money. Credit: Shutterstock

'No Meat May' is a 10-year-old campaign that promotes vegetarianism and an end to factory farming. The rising cost of living is inadvertently supporting their cause. Research commissioned by Perspectus Global shows that:

- 81% would eat less meat if it would save them one-third off their shopping bill

The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports that meat prices have increased by 4% in the past year, less than dairy (15%) and fruits and vegetables (5%). However, vegetables still remain much cheaper than meat overall, particularly premium cuts such as steak and lamb cutlets.

Lancet research suggests that a vegetarian diet could be up to 32% cheaper and save over $1,100 a year per person compared to a typical western diet. This is based on a ‘typical western diet’ costing up to $68 a week per person, compared with $57 a week for flexitarians (part-time meat eaters), and $46 a week for vegetarians.

2. Using solar power

While gas prices have tripled since 2020 due to a range of factors such as high international prices, a rebound in demand post-pandemic, and the invasion of Ukraine, the cost of solar hardware continues to drop by around 20% each year, according to the International Energy Agency.

Rooftop solar power is expected to generate more electricity than coal-fired power from this month when AGL closes its Liddell coal plant in New South Wales, says SunWiz.

Over 3.4 million Australians have installed rooftop solar systems, and their power prices have barely risen.

Fuel costs have skyrocketed, with the quarterly price of Unleaded rising by 11% from $1.64 a litre in March 2022 to $1.82/L in March 2023. Meanwhile, diesel has increased by 18% from $1.65/L to $1.94/L on average.

Although electricity prices have also risen, electric vehicle (EV) drivers who charge their cars at work or using their solar panels can still reduce their fuel expenses. However, of course we will acknowledge the average EV is a lot more expensive than a petrol-powered car.

Alternatively, using public transport or riding a bike can help cut down on the soaring costs of transportation.

Many cheap and ultra-convenient services are now seeing price increases as funding dries up and interest rates rise (e.g., Uber fares, Airbnb rates, Marley Spoon pricing).

Embracing slow food and homemade meals, as well as being conscious consumers, can help save money during this cost of living crisis.

Key Takeaways

• In the current cost of living crisis, it is now cheaper to adopt socially conscious lifestyle choices, such as vegetarianism and using solar power.
  • A vegetarian diet can be up to 32% cheaper compared to a traditional diet, saving over $1100 per person annually.
  • Solar hardware costs continue to drop by around 20% each year, and switching to rooftop solar can help households reduce expenses on power bills.
  • Adopting environmentally-friendly alternatives like public transport, EVs, and bicycles can help save money amidst rising petrol prices and experiencing an end to cheap convenience services by start-ups.

The current cost of living crisis has inadvertently made some healthier and greener alternatives more financially viable for seniors. By embracing these alternatives, you could not only improve your health and contribute to a more sustainable world but also save money in the process.

What do you think, members? Will you ‘go woke’? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

I don't particularly like meat and only buy it to keep my partner happy - I eat the vegies, he eats the meat. I have solar panels on my roof and I don't use Uber, AirBnB or meal deliveries.

So I'm good with 3 out of 4.

I'm not ready yet to trade in my 10 yo car, but have been toying with the desire to have an electric car.

View attachment 19060

2. Using solar power

Key Takeaways

Under no circumstances would I consider becoming vegetarian. I have chronic anaemia and very low iron stores and I believe many vegetarians are at risk of this also.

We've had solar power for more than 10 years. We now live in a new retirement village with solar panels galore and a storage battery in every garage.

If I were young and fit, I'd probably use an electric bike, but I wouldn't consider an electric car. For a start, they're far too expensive for those on an aged pension. Secondly, there are apartment buildings and other carparks which don't allow EV parking because of the fire risk. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary, they're just not suitable for long trips. With the rate of closure of coal-fired power stations, electricity prices will rise and it's my belief that supply will become unreliable.

I've never been one for ultra-convenience usage. I'd come home from an eight hour nursing shift and cook meat and vegetables from scratch, five to six nights a week. It's not that hard. It just depends where your priorities lie.

This concept of woke living is designed for the elites. They pat themselves on the back and tell each other how responsible and virtuous they are. Then get on a plane and head to New Zealand to ski, or Bali to drink and soak up the sun.

As a renter, I am paying for the homeowners to have solar power to save them money but as our house will eventually be knocked down to allow the owner to make even more money solar has never been on the cards for me. As for eating less meat, I don't eat much now & there is no way I would go vegan or vegetarian as I do think meat is part of our lives & essential to our health but so is milk & cheese & to do away with all 3 would be very detrimental to everybody's health. No use using plant-based substitutes as they don't have the same value to the body. I will never give up my milk & cheese & I am sick & tired of recipes that are just vegan filling the food pages of magazines Go woke & go to hell is all I can say to them who support the movement!

I 100 per cent agree on that Ads are not only annoying half of them don't include hidden traps,they have no benefit as most people don't needs ads to find what they want plus some hints and info in these newsletters a annoying too
Best way to save $$ is not to fall into the traps set by this newsletters with all the ridiculous ads popping up

View attachment 19060

2. Using solar power

Key Takeaways

What is this woke crap?
That's what happens when you wake up and AWOKE from my sleep. Is this what is taught by university students these days?
Hot beds of revolutionaries!

I 100 per cent agree on that Ads are not only annoying half of them don't include hidden traps,they have no benefit as most people don't needs ads to find what they want plus some hints and info in these newsletters a annoying too
This site is FREE, and anything that is free to you, has to be funded by something. In this case the advertising saves you paying a membership fee. You can generally close or minimise the adverts by hitting the X in the corner.

I read everything that you put in the newsletter & am very grateful to receive it. I don't act on everything in the newsletter & will skip the same if it doesn't "jell with me. It is the same method I use on watching TV ads too. I am interested in everything I see for the first time but then everything interests me except putting up with boring people as I don't like to socialise I don't see many of them. One of my granddaughter's flatmates is one of these & I avoid him like the plague.

View attachment 19060

2. Using solar power

Key Takeaways

DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!

I'm very happy with my solar system, my last bill was only about $58.00.
I don't buy scotch fillet or my favourite lamb cutlets anymore, just ridiculously expensive, but I buy cheaper beef cuts for the slow cooker, mince although a lot more expensive than it used to be, you can make many different meals with it. I make meatballs, Chinese mince, Chilli Con Carne, Mexican Mince, Cottage pie to name a few.
Chicken is cheap and there are endless meals you can make with it.
I shop four weekly and on shopping day buy a BBQ chicken. We have the thighs and drumsticks with crunchy bread, a corn cob or perhaps a small salad. Next night I put one breast and the meat from one wing with a packet of mie goreng noodles a mixture of veggies and top with fried egg and another night I use a packet of Vietnamese Style curry sauce , from Aldi , with the other breast and wing, vegs of your choice. You could even make it cheaper by cooking a chook yourself, but I find this a cheap way to make 3 different meals, and the meat has only cost you $11 for 3 meals for two people.
Chicken wings make great Chicken & Corn Soup. I don't quite stick to the original recipe, but add carrot grated, celery ,onion, chicken stock, plenty of soup mix, corn kernels and creamed corn. Very yummy, good for you and filling.. Goes a long way and freezes well .

Reactions: Cheezil and Joydie
So (even without going vego) if I spend around $100,000 buying an electric vehicle, converting my residence to solar and rewiring the whole shebang to accommodate the extra load of the EV on the aforesaid solar system and its battery/ies, I can "slash my cost-of-living'? At my age, I will have to live to 100 to hit the break-even point (assuming the EV lasts that long, and that its battery doesn't need replacement, and that a hailstorm doesn't smash the solar array to bits in the meantime.)
All that, plus 30-odd years of methane-rich flatulence from a meat-free diet? I don't think so.
Go Woke? Go Choke!
Agree

Not ‘woke’ - Just common sense!!
No solar on my rental do I pay for the expensive stuff
Not sure about EVs yet - still too new to the market and not enough charging points in Australia. Europe has charging points in the street, when we get there I might consider crossing over to EVs, but it may not be in my lifetime 😕

What is this woke crap?
That's what happens when you wake up and AWOKE from my sleep. Is this what is taught by university students these days?
Hot beds of revolutionaries!
Totally agree. I must be getting old because I just cannot grasp this "woke" garbage, It's just an "in" word for the wannabes.