The secret behind Woolworths' roast chooks in black packaging

Imagine this - you're at your local Woolworths, picking up one of their famous Hot Roast Chickens for a quick and easy dinner. But as you reach for your usual yellow bag, you notice something strange - the bag is completely black. How strange?

Well, as it turns out, there's a fascinating reason behind it! A curious customer decided to investigate and discovered that if the chicken is in a black bag, it is Halal-certified.

They shared this exciting revelation on social media, and it quickly gained traction among Woolies shoppers who were intrigued by this little-known fact.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 11.30.33 AM.png
A Woolworths customer revealed the little-known reason some Hot Roast Chickens are packaged in black plastic bags. Credit: TikTok.

But first, let's talk more about what it means for food to be Halal. Halal is an Arabic word that translates to 'permissible' in English, and it refers to food that is considered lawful or allowed under Islamic law.

In general, Islam considers every food to be Halal unless it is specifically prohibited in the Quran or hadith. Halal foods are made, produced, manufactured, processed, and stored using machinery, equipment, and/or utensils that have been cleaned according to Islamic law (shariah).

They are also free from any component that Muslims are prohibited from eating according to Islamic law.

One of the most well-known examples of non-Halal food is pork, which is categorically prohibited for Muslims to consume.

However, there are other criteria for non-Halal items, including their source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed. For example, some Islamic scholars consider shellfish and other seafood to be Halal, while others do not.

It's worth noting that vegetarian cuisine can also be Halal, as long as it does not contain alcohol or any other prohibited ingredients.

It's important to note that in Islamic teachings, animals are considered to be sacred and must be treated with respect and care. As a result, the goal of Halal-style butchery is to minimise the amount of pain that the animal will endure during the slaughter process.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 11.30.23 AM.png
The concept of Halal is a strict guideline and way of life followed by all Muslims. Credit: Unsplash/Levi Meir Clancy.

During the slaughter, the jugular vein of the animal is cut, and the blood is allowed to drain from the body. This practice is done because Muslims are not permitted to consume animal blood. Before the slaughter, the animal must also be given food and water, and be free from any illness, and no other animal should witness the slaughter.

Additionally, because pork is forbidden, Halal slaughter cannot take place where pigs are slaughtered.

By following these guidelines, the Halal slaughter process ensures that the animal is treated with dignity and care. And Muslims who follow these dietary restrictions can have confidence that the meat they consume has been prepared in a way that aligns with their religious beliefs.

What are some Halal foods_.jpg

According to a Woolworths spokesperson, the Halal-certified hot roast chicken is now available in selected stores, particularly in areas with large Muslim communities.

They explained that the Woolworths hot roast chicken has always been a popular choice among customers, and they wanted to ensure that even more customers could enjoy it by offering a Halal-certified option.

The Halal Hot Roast Chicken was first introduced in Woolworths' Roselands store and later expanded to Bass Hill, Auburn, Lakemba, Bankstown, and Granville. It's worth noting that Woolworths' Halal Hot Roast Chicken is priced the same as their standard roast chicken, so customers do not have to pay extra for the certification.

Key Takeaways

• The Woolworths hot roast chicken is a popular and convenient meal option for many Australians, and some customers have noticed that the hot roast chickens occasionally come in all-black packaging.
  • It was revealed that this signifies that the chicken is Halal-certified.
  • Woolworths introduced the Halal-certified hot roast chicken in selected stores in areas with large Muslim communities, providing a convenient and inclusive option for customers who follow Halal dietary restrictions.

It's amazing how a simple packaging detail can reveal so much about the food we eat. And it just goes to show that there's always something new to discover, even when it comes to our favourite supermarket staples.

So next time you're at Woolies and see a black bag, you'll know exactly what it means - and maybe even impress your friends with your newfound knowledge!

Members, how do you feel about the availability of a Halal-certified hot roast chicken option in selected stores? Are you pleased that Woolworths is catering to the diverse dietary needs and preferences of its customers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Really, isn't that a little silly, you don't have to buy the halal ones.
I once lived in Katanning where there is a large Muslim community.
To be honest I found them to be very polite, respectful people, more so than most of the Aussies who couldn't even be bothered to say good morning.
As they say you can't tar everyone with the same brush, there are good and bad in all races, unless you get to know these people you shouldn't judge.
I do think it is a pity that we have to be so racist, not only with our own indigenous people, but years ago it was the Italians, Vietnamese, etc.
They do, or so we think, have some strange customs, but I guess they think the same as us.

I wont buy hot chickens from woolworths again.

As far as i am concerned they can starve if they do not like the food in Australia, I am not a racist. go to their country and all you have is Halal food. The Muslims are the racist not Australians

Reactions: IAN3005
Oh dear, politics and religion are topics that we all know are difficult to discuss, to say the least. I still don't see the relevance of the black bag though. Does the colour have any bearing really other than it is generally associated with death?

As far as i am concerned they can starve if they do not like the food in Australia, I am not a racist. go to their country and all you have is Halal food. The Muslims are the racist not Australians
Read what you just wrote and then repeat "I am not racist" ????

I t
Imagine this - you're at your local Woolworths, picking up one of their famous Hot Roast Chickens for a quick and easy dinner. But as you reach for your usual yellow bag, you notice something strange - the bag is completely black. How strange?

Well, as it turns out, there's a fascinating reason behind it! A curious customer decided to investigate and discovered that if the chicken is in a black bag, it is Halal-certified.

They shared this exciting revelation on social media, and it quickly gained traction among Woolies shoppers who were intrigued by this little-known fact.

View attachment 17749
A Woolworths customer revealed the little-known reason some Hot Roast Chickens are packaged in black plastic bags. Credit: TikTok.

But first, let's talk more about what it means for food to be Halal. Halal is an Arabic word that translates to 'permissible' in English, and it refers to food that is considered lawful or allowed under Islamic law.

In general, Islam considers every food to be Halal unless it is specifically prohibited in the Quran or hadith. Halal foods are made, produced, manufactured, processed, and stored using machinery, equipment, and/or utensils that have been cleaned according to Islamic law (shariah).

They are also free from any component that Muslims are prohibited from eating according to Islamic law.

One of the most well-known examples of non-Halal food is pork, which is categorically prohibited for Muslims to consume.

However, there are other criteria for non-Halal items, including their source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed. For example, some Islamic scholars consider shellfish and other seafood to be Halal, while others do not.

It's worth noting that vegetarian cuisine can also be Halal, as long as it does not contain alcohol or any other prohibited ingredients.

It's important to note that in Islamic teachings, animals are considered to be sacred and must be treated with respect and care. As a result, the goal of Halal-style butchery is to minimise the amount of pain that the animal will endure during the slaughter process.

View attachment 17750
The concept of Halal is a strict guideline and way of life followed by all Muslims. Credit: Unsplash/Levi Meir Clancy.

During the slaughter, the jugular vein of the animal is cut, and the blood is allowed to drain from the body. This practice is done because Muslims are not permitted to consume animal blood. Before the slaughter, the animal must also be given food and water, and be free from any illness, and no other animal should witness the slaughter.

Additionally, because pork is forbidden, Halal slaughter cannot take place where pigs are slaughtered.

By following these guidelines, the Halal slaughter process ensures that the animal is treated with dignity and care. And Muslims who follow these dietary restrictions can have confidence that the meat they consume has been prepared in a way that aligns with their religious beliefs.

According to a Woolworths spokesperson, the Halal-certified hot roast chicken is now available in selected stores, particularly in areas with large Muslim communities.

They explained that the Woolworths hot roast chicken has always been a popular choice among customers, and they wanted to ensure that even more customers could enjoy it by offering a Halal-certified option.

The Halal Hot Roast Chicken was first introduced in Woolworths' Roselands store and later expanded to Bass Hill, Auburn, Lakemba, Bankstown, and Granville. It's worth noting that Woolworths' Halal Hot Roast Chicken is priced the same as their standard roast chicken, so customers do not have to pay extra for the certification.

Key Takeaways

• The Woolworths hot roast chicken is a popular and convenient meal option for many Australians, and some customers have noticed that the hot roast chickens occasionally come in all-black packaging.
  • Woolworths introduced the Halal-certified hot roast chicken in selected stores in areas with large Muslim communities, providing a convenient and inclusive option for customers who follow Halal dietary restrictions.

It's amazing how a simple packaging detail can reveal so much about the food we eat. And it just goes to show that there's always something new to discover, even when it comes to our favourite supermarket staples.

So next time you're at Woolies and see a black bag, you'll know exactly what it means - and maybe even impress your friends with your newfound knowledge!

Members, how do you feel about the availability of a Halal-certified hot roast chicken option in selected stores? Are you pleased that Woolworths is catering to the diverse dietary needs and preferences of its customers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I think Halal is a rort, I know a bloke that does Honey, raw Honey, and to sell overseas in some parts of the world he had to pay 900 dollars I think it was and have Halal printed on his label, I asked hm how the hell do you Halal Honey, he said you can't and you don't, it is a money making scam but he had to pay the money and pay to have the labels changed so he could sell it in this particular country.
How do you Halal milk, how do you Halal Vegemite, it is a rort to raise money and or restrict sales, extortion that's the word I was trying to think of. Remember back in the old days, pay the people a fee every week so you could keep your shop from being trashed and you could stay in business, those days are happening again in the 21st century.

I t

I think Halal is a rort, I know a bloke that does Honey, raw Honey, and to sell overseas in some parts of the world he had to pay 900 dollars I think it was and have Halal printed on his label, I asked hm how the hell do you Halal Honey, he said you can't and you don't, it is a money making scam but he had to pay the money and pay to have the labels changed so he could sell it in this particular country.
How do you Halal milk, how do you Halal Vegemite, it is a rort to raise money and or restrict sales, extortion that's the word I was trying to think of. Remember back in the old days, pay the people a fee every week so you could keep your shop from being trashed and you could stay in business, those days are happening again in the 21st century.

I agree with you, there are rorts all over the world, mainly from high people in high places, corruption is rife
But this is not only in Muslim countries, if we look hard enough I'm sure we'll find enough of this kind of thing going on in our own country
No country us immune

Goodness sake why does everything come down to someone or something (or our own country even) being called or classed as Racist. Get over it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Buy or don't buy, it's your choice. .

Hot Chook Bag As Fashion Statement?
What a shame Di 'Bubbles' Fisher is no longer with us: "The black Halal packaging perfectly matches, in both colour and shape, the hijab/burka combination worn by our model, the lovely Habibi, as she sashays toward the checkout....."

Just had to put a few facts about halal kill. No chicken killed in our chicken factories can be halal, as per description, because the chicken on the chain next to it can see exactly what is happening. Also chickens are not offered food and water beforehand. They are captured and delivered by truck to the factory, sometimes 12hours + before slaughter.
Sheep and beef also are not offered feed and water before slaughter.
In the case of sheep, they also are slaughtered in front of other animals,that are to be processed at that time. At the time l worked in the abattoirs the halal slaught and animal had to face east and the slaught was supposed to say a prayer. Never once did l hear a prayer being said. Also if the person who was stunning the sheep happened to draw blood (only a drop or two from a prong point) the halal slaught would refuse to kill it, and just let it fall into the pit.
The halal kill means that a Moslem has to draw first blood.
Working in an abattoir was a real eye opener. I saw grown men tear up when they first saw the way some religions kill their animals according to religious traditions.
The Jews will draw blood in their barbaric way, then have the audacity to reject the animal because the blade that drew blood had a nick in it. This is done by running a long fingernail down the blade after the cut is made.
After the kill they then reject the hind quarters of the animal because they believe it is dirty.
My apologies for being long winded
but this one subject that really gets on my goat.

So once again we are confirming to the minority instead of the majority, wonderful.
Some of your remarks about Halal, what it & what it means are incorrect if not false!
Muslims can say a simple prayer over most food before consumption to make the food Halal & their own teachings state they can eat the same food as those of the book (bible)
Worse now we can't see the condition of the chicken before purchase & anybody who buys these chooks on a regular basis knows how the quality can vary greatly.
Thanks woolies for removing another choice from consumers all in the name of profit & appeasement.
From what I read in this article, it appears that only a portion will be Halal, most will still be in a see through bag so I don't think Woolies are removing your choice, just giving Muslims a choice and I think that is quite acceptable.

View attachment 17749

View attachment 17750

Key Takeaways

Thank heavens I don't buy from Woolies - that would definitely be off the shopping list. It's about time ALL food products are clearly marked with the Halal certification logo so we can decide what NOT to buy.

WELL SAID!!!

Really, isn't that a little silly, you don't have to buy the halal ones.
I once lived in Katanning where there is a large Muslim community.
To be honest I found them to be very polite, respectful people, more so than most of the Aussies who couldn't even be bothered to say good morning.
As they say you can't tar everyone with the same brush, there are good and bad in all races, unless you get to know these people you shouldn't judge.
I do think it is a pity that we have to be so racist, not only with our own indigenous people, but years ago it was the Italians, Vietnamese, etc.
They do, or so we think, have some strange customs, but I guess they think the same as us.

It's not the people I am worried about... it's the principal.

I t

The bloke that collects the fees is a multi-millionaire from the collection of the fees and the organisation is collecting them TAX FREE. Don't get me started!!!!

I t

Yes.... one BIG rort.... and TAX FREE to boot!!!!

I agree with you, there are rorts all over the world, mainly from high people in high places, corruption is rife
But this is not only in Muslim countries, if we look hard enough I'm sure we'll find enough of this kind of thing going on in our own country
No country us immune
Not yet!!!!

So does that mean chickens are slaughtered the same and is cutting the jugular and draining the blood more humane and the least painful? It would be a very slow process doing one chook at a time away from the other chooks?

It annoys me that so many things are changed just to appease the Muslims. They kick up a stink (the radical ones) because our ways "offend" them. If you don't like the way that we live, don't come to this country.
And, before anyone makes the comment, I am not racist. Muslim is a religion, not a race

View attachment 17749

View attachment 17750

Key Takeaways