The right way to dice an onion? This quick trick is taking the internet by storm!

Onions are a staple in many kitchens around the world. They add flavour and depth to dishes, enhancing our dining experience. But chopping onions can be a difficult task, especially if you're not used to it.

Most of us have experienced the tears that come with chopping onions. It's a common issue that many people struggle with.

If you're looking for some tips on how to avoid 'crying' while chopping this veggie, then we've got good news for you!

A nutritionist has offered her quick, fuss-free tip for quickly chopping an onion and preventing it from causing a reaction in your eyes.

Melbourne cookbook author Melanie Lionello recently shared a now-viral video (it has 11 million views) to reveal her 'life-changing' trick to chopping the vegetable in under 30 seconds.

Credit: Instagram/@frommylittlekitchen

In the clip, the cook cuts the stem off a whole onion before placing the vegetable on a chopping board with its root facing upwards.

Next, Melanie peels the onions and makes several cuts that meet in the middle of the onion's entire circumference, going from the root to the stem. You should space these roughly 1 cm apart.

She then flips the onion to its side and begins to chop the vegetable into thin vertical cuts, beginning at the stem and moving towards the root.

And voila! She now has finely diced onion pieces that are perfect for cooking — and she does not even shed a tear during the process.

'I was today years old when I learnt that I could dice an onion like this. Please tell me that I'm not the only one,' she wrote in the caption of the video that she posted on Instagram.

The video has received over 11.4 million views and hundreds of comments from stunned users who expressed their gratitude for the 'game-changing' tip.

One person wrote: 'Wow I'm trying this, never cut an onion like this but it looks so easy!'

'THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!' another exclaimed.

Others admitted that they have been doing this tip for ages, backing the claim that it can help you avoid getting teary-eyed while chopping.

'I like chopping onions like this. It saves my eyes from tearing up,' one user confessed.

CkQqDdLxvF1svDuWP_OoBkEypcpMwjYIgDrAwmm3MZDQREooT8Gm1coqCukGNVMYqEHXrwOOQDfVd1KC8vsXjeXYti4KjVHMdmlnJr2f78_BE0gcpfKZk6oip0HHYDky6vjoRybOi3dlHVvSdEk_eQ

The onion-chopping trick has made the rounds on social media, capturing the attention of millions of astounded users. Credit: Instagram/@frommylittlekitchen.

Several people also offered their suggestions on how you can 'successfully' cut a whole onion.

One person recommended: '’Cut it in half first so you have it firmly on a flat surface will make it safer to do, you may cut yourself doing it whole.'

For those who are curious why most people 'tear up' when chopping onions, scientists explained that the phenomenon is caused by a gas produced by a mix of chemical compounds and enzymes found inside the vegetable.

The onion releases the gas as a defence mechanism to prevent other animals from eating it as it grows in the ground.

It can't be denied that the internet is filled with lots of home hacks that can help make life easier! We have not yet tried this trick but are looking forward to testing it while cooking dinner tonight. How about you? Do you know other tips for effectively chopping an onion without tearing up? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Onions are a staple in many kitchens around the world. They add flavour and depth to dishes, enhancing our dining experience. But chopping onions can be a difficult task, especially if you're not used to it.

Most of us have experienced the tears that come with chopping onions. It's a common issue that many people struggle with.

If you're looking for some tips on how to avoid 'crying' while chopping this veggie, then we've got good news for you!

A nutritionist has offered her quick, fuss-free tip for quickly chopping an onion and preventing it from causing a reaction in your eyes.

Melbourne cookbook author Melanie Lionello recently shared a now-viral video (it has 11 million views) to reveal her 'life-changing' trick to chopping the vegetable in under 30 seconds.

In the clip, the cook cuts the stem off a whole onion before placing the vegetable on a chopping board with its root facing upwards.

Next, Melanie peels the onions and makes several cuts that meet in the middle of the onion's entire circumference, going from the root to the stem. You should space these roughly 1 cm apart.

She then flips the onion to its side and begins to chop the vegetable into thin vertical cuts, beginning at the stem and moving towards the root.

And voila! She now has finely diced onion pieces that are perfect for cooking — and she does not even shed a tear during the process.

'I was today years old when I learnt that I could dice an onion like this. Please tell me that I'm not the only one,' she wrote in the caption of the video that she posted on Instagram.

The video has received over 11.4 million views and hundreds of comments from stunned users who expressed their gratitude for the 'game-changing' tip.

One person wrote: 'Wow I'm trying this, never cut an onion like this but it looks so easy!'

Others admitted that they have been doing this tip for ages, backing the claim that it can help you avoid getting teary-eyed while chopping.

'I like chopping onions like this. It saves my eyes from tearing up,' one user confessed.

CkQqDdLxvF1svDuWP_OoBkEypcpMwjYIgDrAwmm3MZDQREooT8Gm1coqCukGNVMYqEHXrwOOQDfVd1KC8vsXjeXYti4KjVHMdmlnJr2f78_BE0gcpfKZk6oip0HHYDky6vjoRybOi3dlHVvSdEk_eQ

The onion-chopping trick has made the rounds on social media, capturing the attention of millions of astounded users. Credit: Instagram/@frommylittlekitchen.

Several people also offered their suggestions on how you can 'successfully' cut a whole onion.

One person recommended: '’Cut it in half first so you have it firmly on a flat surface will make it safer to do, you may cut yourself doing it whole.'

For those who are curious why most people 'tear up' when chopping onions, scientists explained that the phenomenon is caused by a gas produced by a mix of chemical compounds and enzymes found inside the vegetable.

The onion releases the gas as a defence mechanism to prevent other animals from eating it as it grows in the ground.

It can't be denied that the internet is filled with lots of home hacks that can help make life easier! We have not yet tried this trick but are looking forward to testing it while cooking dinner tonight. How about you? Do you know other tips for effectively chopping an onion without tearing up? Share them with us in the comments below!

Wish
I knew this yesterday!

The easiest way to chop onions is to buy them frozen

"Life saving tip" was used in your description. All for dicing an onion, probably not. Please consider using appropriate language to describe things. Thank you.

Yep….you’re not the only one!! Not anything new!

Reactions: Ricci
What about peeling it? Wouldn’t you have to go back and take all the peel off the little diced pieces?
Yes, the cutting takes only a few seconds, but to sort, identify and peel each of the little individual pieces takes hours :unsure: . Seriously......

• Haha
"Life saving tip" was used in your description. All for dicing an onion, probably not. Please consider using appropriate language to describe things. Thank you.
I agree, it's melodrama at its silliest. Other favourites include "frenzy", and allegations of people "losing their minds". At least we don't have to hear the implied shrieks and screams, as displayed in TV advertising.

Will definitely try this new way.
Otherwise if cutting the onion in half, try runner the tap water over it to prevent tears.
Wash hands with salt to eliminate onion smell.

I usually cut the whole onion in half, leaving the roots intact, peel the two halves, pop into the freezer for about half an hour,then do the same method mentioned above. No more tears.

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci