The price of another everyday item could soar by over 9 per cent

It seems like the price hike trend won’t be dwindling anytime soon… After the prices of 7-Eleven cuppas and dairy products rose, another everyday Aussie item is expected to increase by more than 9 per cent.

As the country’s postal service struggles to cope with hefty operating costs and a steadily declining number of letters being sent, it’s left with no choice but to consider increasing the price of stamps up from $1.10 to $1.20 starting January 2023.

The cost of reserved ordinary large letters could also increase from $2.20 to $2.40 for letters up to 125 grams and from $3.30 to $3.60 for letters between 125 to 250 grams.

Australia Post asked the consumer watchdog to weigh in on their draft proposal.

HlE0MTmxUnDqbbeh3nf2ZarcqMjWDJc3MCQw_vrZeQoVUNMMYYo4bsSEBEANXbBhwgAhTh9YveU9Wa2N1j21NiTPa09HRvmyW49k2CqK0H8hmC3K3A6SUpkVVEqMnqtMg7HMAIeStKn-lkvst93ZT14

The country’s postal service is struggling with operating costs. Source: The Conversation

Paul Graham, who is the Chief Executive and Managing Director of Australia Post, explained that the proposed change is necessary to sustain the company’s essential services, especially in rural and remote Australian communities.

‘Over the past three years, the volume of letters mailed in Australia has fallen by 15 per cent, translating to 280 million articles.’ Mr Graham said.

‘We are actually making a loss on every stamped letter that is delivered.’

Last financial year, Australia Post lost $205.7 million. This is despite the company reporting $4.80 billion in revenue at the time.

Msy-yuySzLeynAdDtqe0BjMldN29XMbrBfHb2C5no3eKBhHvWGy9uzCGvLbo-Fuu4mkfazpZQ27OXeA4wyfPggvlBHHsz9ehC7yJdxw-nWDBxhBQ1NpvVBmXffljQGNS4IPlUG_bN1TgMMQlttGp_xc
IR1J_JOqwpZu2fJE34cOWggaVBEDgPlrlYpp90wfbRfKEEwrsYgZhNUhge_Cs2GdS_0cLBzAb-gb-G69x39YHrrA3_3bywwsWOUzJ6MVqb0tvPVflH2J3b-zJ8kKu9D0NOeXZgqDlsGg2KhUKxxfySE

International postage stamps from Australia Post. Source: auspost.com.au

In 2014, the cost of stamps increased from 70c to $1 when Ahmed Fahour was the CEO of Australia Post. In 2019, Christine Holgate bumped it up again to $1.10.

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) responded to the company’s call, with its spokesperson detailing: ‘Australia Post must also give a written notice to the Communications Minister about its intent to vary the rates of postage. The basic postage rate may only increase if the minister approves it within 30 days.’

When a price notification is lodged, the watchdog will generally make an assessment within 21 days of lodgement.

What are your thoughts about Australia Post’s proposal? Do you regularly use its services? Let us know in the comments below!

Learn how you can save money when making postal-related purchases by watching the video below:

Source: Australia Post

Sponsored
With more and more formal correspondence being delivered electronically and fewer and fewer people writing letters or sending cards I wonder how much longer there will be a need for a letter postal delivery service. I'm sure the increase in parcel post will more than cover any losses as online purchases peak.:)

Seriously Australia Post!!!! You make more money now then ever before with all the on line shopping.

My household receives at least 2 parcels everyday.
They are also talking about parcel delivery prices rising

Very rare I send letters, I do send letters to my granddaughter's who I see each week. This is only so they can experience receiving letters and they will send letters back.

I sent A very small parcel yesterday , I usually send in pre paid bags which cost $9.70 for up to 500g. I decided to cut up a padded envelope and placed it in that and taped it up. It was maybe 6cm x 5 cm and weighed 100grams and still cost $9. 30 and was sent to only 2 suburbs away.

It would have fitted into a small letter envelope

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
It seems like the price hike trend won’t be dwindling anytime soon… After the prices of 7-Eleven cuppas and dairy products rose, another everyday Aussie item is expected to increase by more than 9 per cent.

As the country’s postal service struggles to cope with hefty operating costs and a steadily declining number of letters being sent, it’s left with no choice but to consider increasing the price of stamps up from $1.10 to $1.20 starting January 2023.

The cost of reserved ordinary large letters could also increase from $2.20 to $2.40 for letters up to 125 grams and from $3.30 to $3.60 for letters between 125 to 250 grams.

HlE0MTmxUnDqbbeh3nf2ZarcqMjWDJc3MCQw_vrZeQoVUNMMYYo4bsSEBEANXbBhwgAhTh9YveU9Wa2N1j21NiTPa09HRvmyW49k2CqK0H8hmC3K3A6SUpkVVEqMnqtMg7HMAIeStKn-lkvst93ZT14

The country’s postal service is struggling with operating costs. Source: The Conversation

Paul Graham, who is the Chief Executive and Managing Director of Australia Post, explained that the proposed change is necessary to sustain the company’s essential services, especially in rural and remote Australian communities.

‘Over the past three years, the volume of letters mailed in Australia has fallen by 15 per cent, translating to 280 million articles.’ Mr Graham said.

Last financial year, Australia Post lost $205.7 million. This is despite the company reporting $4.80 billion in revenue at the time.

Msy-yuySzLeynAdDtqe0BjMldN29XMbrBfHb2C5no3eKBhHvWGy9uzCGvLbo-Fuu4mkfazpZQ27OXeA4wyfPggvlBHHsz9ehC7yJdxw-nWDBxhBQ1NpvVBmXffljQGNS4IPlUG_bN1TgMMQlttGp_xc
IR1J_JOqwpZu2fJE34cOWggaVBEDgPlrlYpp90wfbRfKEEwrsYgZhNUhge_Cs2GdS_0cLBzAb-gb-G69x39YHrrA3_3bywwsWOUzJ6MVqb0tvPVflH2J3b-zJ8kKu9D0NOeXZgqDlsGg2KhUKxxfySE

In 2014, the cost of stamps increased from 70c to $1 when Ahmed Fahour was the CEO of Australia Post. In 2019, Christine Holgate bumped it up again to $1.10.

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) responded to the company’s call, with its spokesperson detailing: ‘Australia Post must also give a written notice to the Communications Minister about its intent to vary the rates of postage. The basic postage rate may only increase if the minister approves it within 30 days.’

When a price notification is lodged, the watchdog will generally make an assessment within 21 days of lodgement.

What are your thoughts about Australia Post’s proposal? Do you regularly use its services? Let us know in the comments below!

Learn how you can save money when making postal-related purchases by watching the video below:

A parcel takes five days from America, while a letter sent from Heidelberg Victoria to the Mornington Peninsula fourteen days?

What I object to is when sending cards it is not per card but by the size and they charge extra. Many times I have sent items that have taken weeks to arrive. Have complained but it makes no difference. The service is not what it used to be.

You know, not everybody has access to the internet or for that fact, want to use or know how, to use the internet to receive their bills, etc. I receive a lot of my paperwork through the mail and I am happy with this choice but choice is becoming, few and far between, these days!
I like to wish my family and friends a Happy Birthday over the internet BUT I also use Australia Post to deliver cards to certain people for Birthdays, Bereavements, Get Wells, Weddings, etc., etc., and I like to sent letters to family and friends also!
If Australia Post end letter deliveries because of losses to their business, god forbid, I am sure that Australia Post could well subsidize this service, as they are making huge profits with their parcel deliveries or maybe, just maybe, they could incorporate the letter deliveries, in with their parcel deliveries, you know the old saying: kill two birds with one stone, rather than looking at ceasing this service in the future!
Just saying, rant over with!! :rolleyes:

What a load of rubbish. Australia Post might not be delivering as many letters but they are making a killing with delivery of parcels as people are turning to online shopping. And the service leaves a lot to be desired. I order goods regularly from the eastern states and it almost always takes two weeks for delivery. My packages from rural England arrive a lot sooner than that.

Last edited:

If you check your docket/item price tags, as I do, you will see that most, if not all, items have increased in price...Many by cents or tens of cents. Add to this the reduction in product size and we're paying through the nose without realising it.

I must admit I am not a fan of Australia Post at the moment. Seems to me that prices are going up all the time and service is going down. Maybe we need an alternative? We still post letters, as we make hand made cards to send to loved ones. The cost is becoming ridiculous and taking way longer than ever used to, not reliable at all, I feel. Sorry - not very positive

• Sad
You know, not everybody has access to the internet or for that fact, want to use or know how, to use the internet to receive their bills, etc. I receive a lot of my paperwork through the mail and I am happy with this choice but choice is becoming, few and far between, these days!
I like to wish my family and friends a Happy Birthday over the internet BUT I also use Australia Post to deliver cards to certain people for Birthdays, Bereavements, Get Wells, Weddings, etc., etc., and I like to sent letters to family and friends also!
If Australia Post end letter deliveries because of losses to their business, god forbid, I am sure that Australia Post could well subsidize this service, as they are making huge profits with their parcel deliveries or maybe, just maybe, they could incorporate the letter deliveries, in with their parcel deliveries, you know the old saying: kill two birds with one stone, rather than looking at ceasing this service in the future!
Just saying, rant over with!! :rolleyes:
Are you a pensioner Gollywog?
Do you know that you can get a free account with Australia post allowing you to pay 60c per stamp instead of $1.10?
You can buy up to 50 stamps per year in booklets if 5, for $3.
You even get a booklet of 5 stamps FREE to get you started.
If you have ..
Pensioner concession card
Health care card
DVA card etc.
Check at your local.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Ricci