SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
The old butcher’s shop

Who remembers the old butcher’s shop? Before the convenience of pre-packaged meats at the supermarket, this was the place to be. As you stepped inside, the distinct aroma of freshly cut meat filled the air, mingling with the familiar scent of sawdust on the floor. Amidst the sound of conversations and laughter, a constant buzz resonated — a bone saw effortlessly slicing through cuts of meat. The meat was carefully wrapped in a single sheet of butcher paper, then in some newspaper — a quaint reminder of simpler times. Do you have fond memories of the butcher’s shop?

compressed-nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Facebok/Australia Remember When

Newly married in the 60’s I really wanted to impress my darling with my cooking skills. My local butcher , after a quick chat, really did come to my rescue by suggesting the ways I could make the most of cheaper cuts of meat to make impressive meals. Suggestions made with a cheeky smile accompanied with a silly harmless joke. Great memories and recipes I remember to this day.

The old butcher’s shop

Who remembers the old butcher’s shop? Before the convenience of pre-packaged meats at the supermarket, this was the place to be. As you stepped inside, the distinct aroma of freshly cut meat filled the air, mingling with the familiar scent of sawdust on the floor. Amidst the sound of conversations and laughter, a constant buzz resonated — a bone saw effortlessly slicing through cuts of meat. The meat was carefully wrapped in a single sheet of butcher paper, then in some newspaper — a quaint reminder of simpler times. Do you have fond memories of the butcher’s shop?

View attachment 20546
Credits: Facebok/
Newly married in the 60’s I really wanted to impress my darling with my cooking skills. My local butcher , after a quick chat, really did come to my rescue by suggesting the ways I could make the most of cheaper cuts of meat to make impressive meals. Suggestions made with a cheeky smile accompanied with a silly harmless joke. Great memories and recipes I remember to this day.
my
Australia Remember When

My memory of the butcher shop is very recent, as I avoid the purchase of most meats and certainly all fish, from supermarkets. For me, this a matter of choice: Buy fresh from a butcher or local market (if you are fortunate enough to have easy access to one) or settle for second grade, ridiculously packaged food. I have a look around at my options and support my local businesses where possible.

When I was in primary school my friend's mum worked in the butcher shop, I always got a frankfurt off her. The butcher was a great person and knew the type of meat my mum liked. Nice people, my school friend is still my friend and her mum is 94 years young.

I remember when I was about 8, mum would send me to our local butcher in Burnley St Burnley, to buy some cheap meat for dinner.. I was fascinated by the smell of meat and the sawdust on the floor of the shop.. great memories..

In the '80s I lived in Leichhardt, Sydney and there was such a butchers shop in the next street. It was wonderful go to butcher's shop and see meat being cut from the hanging side and the large wooden block out of shape from years of cutting on it and as has been said the feel and smell of a real butcher's shop.

I grew up in Brisbane (MitcheltonJ in the 50/60’s. Mitchelton’s 2 butchers were Waldock’s and Ditmans ( Sid Ditman was the father of the great jockey).
What memories of the sawdust on the floor, the meat wrapped in Newspaper and the meat hanging on meat hooks.

I also remember the sawdust on the floor, the biggest block of wood you ever saw which they used to cut the meat up on and also the big brine tank for the preparation of corned meat Then when you had to pay it always included the butcher’s thumb on the scales and all your meat was wrapped in the Courier Mail

The old butcher’s shop

View attachment 20546
Credits: Facebok/Australia Remember When

I do remember the butchers shop just up the road from us, and being sent to get some items for Mum. They were always friendly and wrapped up everything carefully in their paper and another newspaper wrapping. I was always fascinated how there were always a few dead flies below the windows inside.

50/60s my dad was a butcher. One day my mum was sick & he had to take me to work. I still remember the bone saw noise & the big butchers block. Playing in sawdust & all sorts of treats. Health & safety would not have been happy. But for a little girl it was the best day with my dad.

I recall when my mother sent me to the butcher. They always added some meaty bones for free for me to suck on them. Nowadays, one has to pay for them. I loved the place so much that I used to spend many hours of the day there talking to the cashier and butcher and seeing customers come and go. They sort of adopted me and never let me go home without s sausage or a cut of meat.