Our first phone number was Allansford 282.
You had to turn the handle to ring the exchange.
Big box phone attached to the wall.
When we were kids, we had to stand on a box to be able to speak into it.

d13c80e0863c166af461cc630417410d.jpg
What about Pounds Shillings and Pence..... Before Dollars and cents.
Who remembers the date we changed over?? It was a very catchy jingle
that we all used to sing.

Reactions: JohnWin69
Hey everyone... Post a pic of something that reminds you of your childhood in here. I'll start:

Telecom (pre Telstra) rotary phone:

View attachment 15

Still remember our first phone number: 301574 :)
I can remember back to 1976. When I moved into my new home in Penrith NSW. I applied to have the phone connected and had to wait 18 months to get it on. A new exchange had to built not far from where I was living. STD was just in its infancy.

I arrived home one late afternoon after just completing my shift on the Indian Pacific. I looked in my letter box and here is a card from Telecom I missed the technician who was installing the phones. I walked down the street and noticed that they were still working. I said to one of them I'm just about to go up to the Hotel and ring you. He said is your name John Mason. I said yes. He said give us 15 minutes and we will be up to connect you.

I opted for a red phone similar to the one in the photo. My first call was to my mother and father to let know. I have it on. I stayed on the phone for 5 minutes. And hung up a couple of minutes later I received my first call. It was my mother just checking to see if it was working from her house.

View attachment 93
What about Pounds Shillings and Pence..... Before Dollars and cents.
Who remembers the date we changed over?? It was a very catchy jingle
that we all used to sing.
A collectors item. I remember well.
Threepence a single journey on the local bus in the Bankstown area NSW. Sixpence for a return,
Sixpence to get into the local swimming pool.
You went into the local fish shop to buy chips It was more than a meal when you went to the beach for a day.
ne shilling for a child excursion ticket on the trains in the suburban area of Sydney.
One penny it went a long way in buying things back in those day.

They were electric of course and needed a power point, usually a special recessed one for clocks. I've seen a few reverse engineered with the electric being replaced with a quartz battery movement. New life for a retro look. :cool:

Reactions: Blossom
Yes Jon, we got lazy and now rely on Chinese rubbish.
Before China there was Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, and many others we sold out our manufacturing to.... lord help us if we ever need to go it alone in the future. :cool:

Reactions: Ezzy