The next retail trend? Take a look at Australia's first 24/7 self-service butcher!

When it comes to keeping up with the times, some Aussie businesses see automation as the way to go.

Take, for example, the Wolki Butchery in Albury, NSW. While it may look like any ordinary butcher from the outside, there’s one major difference that sets it apart from the rest.

What's the difference, you may ask? There's NO staff inside!

In a wildly popular TikTok post, owner Jacob Wolki explained how his shop — reportedly Australia’s first 24/7 self-service butcher — works.

‘Customers get their unique pin code once they sign up to be a member,’ Jacob said as he walked up to his store’s door.

After entering the pin, Jacob quickly enters the store and shows off a row of freezers stocked with various types of meat sourced from his farm a few kilometres away from the butchery.

‘We’ve got pork, lamb, beef, chicken, wild-harvest venison,’ Jacob said among other meats and cuts.

Believe it or not, he also had what looked like jams or preserves on a table which featured produce also from his farm. Seems like he’s got an entire supermarket in that shop of his…Kidding!

Screenshot_18.png
Farmer Jacob Wolki shared his unique business idea in a viral TikTok post. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

‘When you’re in, you use an app on your smartphone called Express Checkout. So you scan your frozen produce and add it to your shopping cart,’ Jacob explained.

Once done, it’s pretty much the same as is done in popular supermarkets where one tap is all it takes to pay!

Now, you might be thinking, ‘The store is unstaffed for the whole day, won’t it be a target of theft?’

Fret not, because Jacob took the liberty of answering the question.

‘We’ve got a couple of high-definition security cameras in here that have audio… and we’ve had zero theft,’ he stressed.

The post has been viewed over 700,000 times on TikTok, and many expressed their awe at Jacob’s high-tech butchery.

‘Good work mate, butchers across the region think you lost your mind,’ one user said. ‘But you did a great job.’

Another said: ‘Genius. You've catered for shift workers, late-night cravings & last-minute ideas as well as all the normal stuff. If I lived locally I'd be in love.’

But what spurred him to open his unique butchery?

‘As the farm grew it became very apparent that the local butchers that were packaging my meats… weren't able to handle my volume so I knew I had to buy my own butchery to be able to run that internally to keep up with my demand,’ he said in an interview.

Screenshot_21.png
Wolki Butchery can only be opened by customers who receive a code upon joining. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

At the same time, Jacob was aware that every cent he was spending was going towards maintaining his farm, so paying wages for full-time staff at his butchery was out of the question.

It was when confronted with this dilemma that he thought of a self-service concept. And so, $5000 and a newly-installed security system later, Wolki Butchery was born.

Jacob also admitted that the entire operation has led to some locals questioning his setup, but for the most part, he’s had a warm welcome.

To date, about 250 members have signed up to be customers of the butchery — and that’s despite the requirement of his for new customers to tour his farm for them to get a clear view of how their food is sourced.

Despite most people being amazed by his efforts, some have taken an apprehensive stance because of the idea of people missing out on jobs with self-service technology.

To his credit, Jacob acknowledges this but explained that ‘there was no job to be had in the first place as it was never going to be viable to create a job for somebody’.

He further expanded on his reasoning in a follow-up TikTok post, where he stressed that running the store without staff was his only option as his finances were tight.

‘I’m a big employer. I employ 50 people across our region, but I want to pour that labour and those skills into improving systems on the farm. We grow meat that we think is exceptional, and the resources we save from paying someone minimum wage to man the shop are instead used for that purpose,’ he added in a separate interview.

Screenshot_22.png
Jacob’s butchery sources its meats and other produce from his nearby farm. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

Ever the entrepreneur, Jacob is already thinking about the expansion of his business to more urban centres after a two-year proof-of-concept run in Albury.

‘I’ve engaged a couple of tech developers, and I have a few concepts that will make access and payment even easier,’ he said.

‘I want to remove the membership system and rely instead on customers accessing the store with their credit card details. If I can make it work the way I’m imagining it, I think it will work anywhere.’

Key Takeaways
  • Jacob Wolki operates a 24/7 self-service butchery in Albury, NSW.
  • Customers use a code to enter the store and scan meats through an app to purchase.
  • Jacob Wolki has around 250 members, with those looking to join required to visit the farm to see exactly where their food is coming from.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer from Queensland University of Technology said smart retail technology and frictionless transactions are set to spread in Australia, but noted customers still want the “human element”.
Jacob’s innovative butchery is a sign of things to come according to some experts.

‘I think it's going to happen really quickly. The big hesitation retailers have is around loss and security but (Wolki) has clearly identified a way around it as have other companies... who knows who is in a store at any given time and cameras detect what you take,’ said Queensland University of Technology retail expert Gary Mortimer.

Supermarket giants such as Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI have already been known to engage in the self-service technology game, with more stores seeing more lanes dedicated to self-checkouts.

Screenshot_20.png
Wolki Butchery customers simply have to scan an item with the Express Checkout app to purchase store goods. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

Despite his outlook, Mortimer was also quick to caution businesses like Jacob’s against going all out on retail technology.

‘Aussies certainly want to engage with retail smart technology if it makes their lives easier but they still want the human element,’ he said.

‘Customers may want to talk to a butcher 9 to 5 about how to cook it, what's the best cut of meat.’

‘But outside of that, I think they want the convenience of being able to go in and grab it 24 hours a day.’

On the topic of butchers, many Aussies were shocked after Woolies axed its in-store butcher shop services.

You might also want to find out why kangaroo meat prices have nearly doubled in recent days.

So, what do you think of Jacob’s 24/7 self-service butchery? Is it something you’d like to have in your neighbourhood, or are you firmly against patronising businesses without staff?

Tell us what you think below!

Source: TikTok/@wolkifarm

Sponsored
When it comes to keeping up with the times, some Aussie businesses see automation as the way to go.

Take, for example, the Wolki Butchery in Albury, NSW. While it may look like any ordinary butcher from the outside, there’s one major difference that sets it apart from the rest.

In a wildly popular TikTok post, owner Jacob Wolki explained how his shop — reportedly Australia’s first 24/7 self-service butcher — works.

‘Customers get their unique pin code once they sign up to be a member,’ Jacob said as he walked up to his store’s door.

After entering the pin, Jacob quickly enters the store and shows off a row of freezers stocked with various types of meat sourced from his farm a few kilometres away from the butchery.

‘We’ve got pork, lamb, beef, chicken, wild-harvest venison,’ Jacob said among other meats and cuts.

Believe it or not, he also had what looked like jams or preserves on a table which featured produce also from his farm. Seems like he’s got an entire supermarket in that shop of his…Kidding!

View attachment 12202
Farmer Jacob Wolki shared his unique business idea in a viral TikTok post. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

‘When you’re in, you use an app on your smartphone called Express Checkout. So you scan your frozen produce and add it to your shopping cart,’ Jacob explained.

Once done, it’s pretty much the same as is done in popular supermarkets where one tap is all it takes to pay!

Now, you might be thinking, ‘The store is unstaffed for the whole day, won’t it be a target of theft?’

‘We’ve got a couple of high-definition security cameras in here that have audio… and we’ve had zero theft,’ he stressed.

The post has been viewed over 700,000 times on TikTok, and many expressed their awe at Jacob’s high-tech butchery.

‘Good work mate, butchers across the region think you lost your mind,’ one user said. ‘But you did a great job.’

Another said: ‘Genius. You've catered for shift workers, late-night cravings & last-minute ideas as well as all the normal stuff. If I lived locally I'd be in love.’

‘As the farm grew it became very apparent that the local butchers that were packaging my meats… weren't able to handle my volume so I knew I had to buy my own butchery to be able to run that internally to keep up with my demand,’ he said in an interview.

View attachment 12204
Wolki Butchery can only be opened by customers who receive a code upon joining. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

At the same time, Jacob was aware that every cent he was spending was going towards maintaining his farm, so paying wages for full-time staff at his butchery was out of the question.

It was when confronted with this dilemma that he thought of a self-service concept. And so, $5000 and a newly-installed security system later, Wolki Butchery was born.

Jacob also admitted that the entire operation has led to some locals questioning his setup, but for the most part, he’s had a warm welcome.

To date, about 250 members have signed up to be customers of the butchery — and that’s despite the requirement of his for new customers to tour his farm for them to get a clear view of how their food is sourced.

Despite most people being amazed by his efforts, some have taken an apprehensive stance because of the idea of people missing out on jobs with self-service technology.

To his credit, Jacob acknowledges this but explained that ‘there was no job to be had in the first place as it was never going to be viable to create a job for somebody’.

He further expanded on his reasoning in a follow-up TikTok post, where he stressed that running the store without staff was his only option as his finances were tight.

‘I’m a big employer. I employ 50 people across our region, but I want to pour that labour and those skills into improving systems on the farm. We grow meat that we think is exceptional, and the resources we save from paying someone minimum wage to man the shop are instead used for that purpose,’ he added in a separate interview.

View attachment 12205
Jacob’s butchery sources its meats and other produce from his nearby farm. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

Ever the entrepreneur, Jacob is already thinking about the expansion of his business to more urban centres after a two-year proof-of-concept run in Albury.

‘I’ve engaged a couple of tech developers, and I have a few concepts that will make access and payment even easier,’ he said.

‘I want to remove the membership system and rely instead on customers accessing the store with their credit card details. If I can make it work the way I’m imagining it, I think it will work anywhere.’

Key Takeaways

• Customers use a code to enter the store and scan meats through an app to purchase.
  • Jacob Wolki has around 250 members, with those looking to join required to visit the farm to see exactly where their food is coming from.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer from Queensland University of Technology said smart retail technology and frictionless transactions are set to spread in Australia, but noted customers still want the “human element”.
Jacob’s innovative butchery is a sign of things to come according to some experts.

‘I think it's going to happen really quickly. The big hesitation retailers have is around loss and security but (Wolki) has clearly identified a way around it as have other companies... who knows who is in a store at any given time and cameras detect what you take,’ said Queensland University of Technology retail expert Gary Mortimer.

Supermarket giants such as Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI have already been known to engage in the self-service technology game, with more stores seeing more lanes dedicated to self-checkouts.

View attachment 12203
Wolki Butchery customers simply have to scan an item with the Express Checkout app to purchase store goods. Image Credit: TikTok/@wolkifarm

Despite his outlook, Mortimer was also quick to caution businesses like Jacob’s against going all out on retail technology.

‘Aussies certainly want to engage with retail smart technology if it makes their lives easier but they still want the human element,’ he said.

‘Customers may want to talk to a butcher 9 to 5 about how to cook it, what's the best cut of meat.’

‘But outside of that, I think they want the convenience of being able to go in and grab it 24 hours a day.’

On the topic of butchers, many Aussies were shocked after Woolies axed its in-store butcher shop services.

You might also want to find out why kangaroo meat prices have nearly doubled in recent days.

So, what do you think of Jacob’s 24/7 self-service butchery? Is it something you’d like to have in your neighbourhood, or are you firmly against patronising businesses without staff?

Nicely done Young fella, I had thought about this concept long time ago but never had the money or the farm to start with also I never thought about it as a no staff situation.... But Kudos to the man from farm gate to retail saves a lot to reinvest back into the farm. It should also be able to sell the produce at a cheaper prices

View attachment 12202

View attachment 12204

View attachment 12205

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12203

That is a great idea. Well done.

Apart from the seemingly high prices, it seems that everything is frozen. That would be a definite NO from me!
With the shift away from butchers in the Woolworths And Coles Supermarkets Nearly all of the meat coming from their outside suppliers is frozen so as to transport it safely, If you are lucky enough to have a decent local butcher to buy your meat fresh that thats great but most of us do not, the major supermarkets with their huge buying ability have caused a rapid decline in local Butcher shops so buying from the likes of Coles and Woolies is the only way that a lot of the population can purchase the meat that they want. I would buy fresh if I could. However the idea of the 24/7 Butcher selling frozen meat from the owners farm is one of the best uses of friendly Digital Tech that I have seen for a while and I wish him every Success I have no doubt that if taken to a town with larger population it would go very well.

Sorry, but where do you get your information regarding frozen meat? Apart from a few in store butchers, the two big supermarkets have sold pre-packaged meat for years now. This meat is sourced throughout Australia, from various feed lots and farms, many sell exclusively to Cloes and Woolies. The animals are slaughtered and dressed the same as any other butcher shops produce would have been. Primals are cryovac packed and distributed as such, not frozen!Most pre-packaged meat is now modified atmosphere packaged, also if something has previously been frozen it should be labeled accordingly, as "this product has been frozen".
With the shift away from butchers in the Woolworths And Coles Supermarkets Nearly all of the meat coming from their outside suppliers is frozen so as to transport it safely, If you are lucky enough to have a decent local butcher to buy your meat fresh that thats great but most of us do not, the major supermarkets with their huge buying ability have caused a rapid decline in local Butcher shops so buying from the likes of Coles and Woolies is the only way that a lot of the population can purchase the meat that they want. I would buy fresh if I could. However the idea of the 24/7 Butcher selling frozen meat from the owners farm is one of the best uses of friendly Digital Tech that I have seen for a while and I wish him every Success I have no doubt that if taken to a town with larger population it would go very w

Its a shame customers can't kill and cut up the meat themselves then they may realize this was a living animal once upon a time.

View attachment 12202

View attachment 12204

View attachment 12205

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12203

Very clever and in the current situation where employers cannot get staff, great initiative. Good on you mate

Reactions: Gaena