ALDI expands self-serve checkout trial amid backlash

Supermarkets have introduced self-serve checkouts in their stores to reduce contact with others and lessen queues. Customers in the past have shared their disdain over the new technology, with some saying that the ‘machines are not our friends’.

ALDI, one of the largest retailers in the country, just unveiled its latest store in Sydney with an array of self-serve checkouts amid customer backlash.

ALDI was known for their previously unique checkout process: employees scanned the items at a fast pace and customers then packed their bags in a separate area for bagging.

However, when a self-service option began in stores, customer feedback was less than stellar. Some even called the experience ‘ageist’ and ‘stressful’, and most people called for staffed checkouts to be reinstated.

ALDI first began trialling their self-serve checkouts in 2021, after stating that it had no plans to bring the option to Australian supermarkets.

ALDI.jpg
ALDI said this is to ‘improve’ customer experience. Credit: ALDI Australia

Still, ALDI described their cash registers as an ‘enhanced customer convenience’, and expanded the option in more stores as they continued the trial across the country.

Alex Foster, the Regional Managing Director for ALDI Australia, said: ‘We offer a supermarket experience that is like no other in Australia and we are proud to call ourselves “Good Different”.’

He added that their differences, such as never having offered single-use plastic bags, implementing a coin deposit system for trolleys, and ‘tight’ product range, allowed them to bring more value against their competitors.

Many customers slammed the new checkout counters in some stores – and went so far as to call them ‘ridiculous’.

‘I like to pay cash for groceries so I won’t be using the self-checkouts,’ said one shopper.

Others feared that card-only checkout counters would not be easy to navigate for older adults.

aldi2.jpg
Some had trouble navigating the new machines at ALDI. Credit: ALDI

‘I am 70+ years old, and I use cash, and so do most of my generation. It is not often I am disappointed by ALDI,’ one customer said.

In a recent story, one shopper aired out their frustration regarding the self-serve checkouts in all major retailers and supermarkets.

They recalled an incident where they were asked by a staff member to show their receipt upon leaving the store, and when they refused, the staff member called after them as they left.

The shopper held up the receipt above their head and kept walking.

‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be,’ they said. You can read more on that here.

Many also believe that this kind of service makes customers do the work that paid employees previously performed, which led to more frustration on the customer’s side of this widely-debated issue.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI is still trialling self-service checkouts in several stores despite the negative customer feedback.
  • Some called the new checkout counters ‘ageist’, others labelled the experience as ‘stressful’.
  • Many shoppers have voiced their grievances against self-service checkouts, arguing that retailers should either trust customers to be honest at the self-checkout or reinstate staffed checkouts.
What’s your stance on this, folks? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Supermarkets have introduced self-serve checkouts in their stores to reduce contact with others and lessen queues. Customers in the past have shared their disdain over the new technology, with some saying that the ‘machines are not our friends’.

ALDI, one of the largest retailers in the country, just unveiled its latest store in Sydney with an array of self-serve checkouts amid customer backlash.

ALDI was known for their previously unique checkout process: employees scanned the items at a fast pace and customers then packed their bags in a separate area for bagging.

However, when a self-service option began in stores, customer feedback was less than stellar. Some even called the experience ‘ageist’ and ‘stressful’, and most people called for staffed checkouts to be reinstated.

ALDI first began trialling their self-serve checkouts in 2021, after stating that it had no plans to bring the option to Australian supermarkets.

View attachment 10880

Still, ALDI described their cash registers as an ‘enhanced customer convenience’, and expanded the option in more stores as they continued the trial across the country.

Alex Foster, the Regional Managing Director for ALDI Australia, said: ‘We offer a supermarket experience that is like no other in Australia and we are proud to call ourselves “Good Different”.’

He added that their differences, such as never having offered single-use plastic bags, implementing a coin deposit system for trolleys, and ‘tight’ product range, allowed them to bring more value against their competitors.

Many customers slammed the new checkout counters in some stores – and went so far as to call them ‘ridiculous’.

‘I like to pay cash for groceries so I won’t be using the self-checkouts,’ said one shopper.

Others feared that card-only checkout counters would not be easy to navigate for older adults.

View attachment 10881

‘I am 70+ years old, and I use cash, and so do most of my generation. It is not often I am disappointed by ALDI,’ one customer said.

In a recent story, one shopper aired out their frustration regarding the self-serve checkouts in all major retailers and supermarkets.

They recalled an incident where they were asked by a staff member to show their receipt upon leaving the store, and when they refused, the staff member called after them as they left.

‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be,’ they said. You can read more on that here.

Many also believe that this kind of service makes customers do the work that paid employees previously performed, which led to more frustration on the customer’s side of this widely-debated issue.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI is still trialling self-service checkouts in several stores despite the negative customer feedback.
  • Some called the new checkout counters ‘ageist’, others labelled the experience as ‘stressful’.
  • Many shoppers have voiced their grievances against self-service checkouts, arguing that retailers should either trust customers to be honest at the self-checkout or reinstate staffed checkouts.
I will never use the self checkouts not even when I'm dead

No don't use the self serve, though I don't agree that at 70 years of age most people use cash, I'm almost 76
and zI and all my friends use card, not that hard, in fact not hard at all. My late mother in law was 92 and used card. Of course I realise some people have difficulties, but many.like my husband, are to lazy or stubborn to bother to try

View attachment 10880

View attachment 10881

Key Takeaways

I have always loved the way ALDI checkouts are set up (they scan you pack), I wish all supermarkets would do this as it is faster on most times. The only time this should be different is if you have difficulty in packing for yourself, then I think the cashier should help you pack or they have a checkout isle or person for "Help Me Pack". I believe everyone should pack their own bags, that way you pack your bags the way you want. But I also believe the "Self-Serve service should NEVER become the main option.

Often when shopping at Aldi we buy extra items we haven't got on our shopping list. It happened to me recently so I had card and cash or option to not go over budget and return a few items back to shelf.
I chose to wait for a real checkout person because can't use cash at self checkout. I do realise that the more staff filling the stores shelves due to Christmas rush instead of serving us is also a benefit to us. It's a trial so give it time. Aldi is more affordable that's why we shop there in the first place. They won't ever lose my business.

In Fitzroy (Victoria) there are only self-serve. Yes, the checkout counters are still there but permanently closed with no staff. I'm an unfortunate shopper for them, some poor bugger has to do my self-serve for me, at least twice as long as the earlier process. But, hey, I don't shop there as often and I buy less so that saves Aldi some problems.

Reactions: KaraJenna and Ricci
I'm so over the argument about manned v unmanned checkouts. So long as there is a choice and both are equally accessible then I don't see a problem, I wouldn't by choice use an unmanned or diy checkout but that's just me. :)
Yeah. I use both whatever looks the quickest lol

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10880

View attachment 10881

Key Takeaways

I totally agree with those who hate self checkouts. I’m in my eighties and have to use a mobility scooter and I also pay cash for almost everything. Absolutely refuse to shop anywhere I can’t have an operator and use cash.

Reactions: Ricci
Lets face it - Supermarkets, like banks, don't want people clogging up their manned checkouts - those people have to be paid! This means more expense = less profit. Sooner or later, all those people working on manned checkouts will be joining the queus at Centrelink and looking for a job

• Sad
Reactions: KaraJenna and Ricci

View attachment 10880

View attachment 10881

Key Takeaways

Yes, I believe that in an effort to maintain the high speed through self-checkouts, they will be incorporating staff members, wearing 'executioner' type hoods, using cattle prods to "motivate" customers to move quicker.. True story! LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci