The new lifestyle trend taking over Australia

If you have accounts on any of the numerous social media platforms known today, chances are you might’ve come across a trend: the nomadic, van-living lifestyle.

From tours around the country to people living in luxurious vans that appear to rival the swankiest of apartments, van life is the ‘new way to live’ for many Australians.

But why the sudden surge in popularity?

This is a way of life that has been around for a while, with the majority of travellers being the older generation and international backpackers.

However, due to the consequences of the pandemic, and the rising cost of rental prices in Australia, droves of young travellers are now also hitting the open road.

Caravan and motorhome sharing company, Camplify, has seen a noticeable surge in demand for their service.

van1.jpg
There’s an uptick in people living in vans as an alternative to a traditional lifestyle. Credit: RODNAE Productions/Pexels

Camplify CEO Justin Hales claimed: ‘Australians are looking to enjoy the flexibility of travelling at their own leisure and providing an affordable way of holidaying, with the option for self-contained travel.’

He added that the demand for domestic travel is going strong, even while the country recovers from the pandemic.

‘With what we’re seeing on Camplify, it’s a trend that isn’t slowing down,’ he told reporters.

Additionally, Camplify has seen ‘double the amount’ of young people hiring campervans this time compared to the summer of 2021.

International travel has become more difficult due to COVID-19, with restrictions preventing many from having any exciting overseas experiences.

Mr Hales admitted that one of the driving forces behind van hire services is so people could explore the country ‘whether it’s to visit friends and family, journey to more popular travel locations, or uncover lesser-known hidden gem destinations,’ he explained.

Another strong factor is the growing interest in customising van conversions and van renovations. Mr Hales said that Camplify had seen a significant increase in people wanting to turn their vans into something unique.

van2.jpg
Many want to customise their own vans. Credit: gya den/Pexels

According to their data, young people are looking to spend more time outdoors than older adults. The average trip for young campervan renters is eight days. Meanwhile, travellers in their 40s or older travel for six days.

Blaze Lopes, a young van lifer, said that COVID-19 and the ensuing lockdowns became the breaking point for her and led her to live her life hitting the open road.

She told reporters that she set off on her first solo road trip in 2021 and is now travelling full-time for over two years.

However, aside from the pandemic, Ms Lopes said that many of her fellow van lifers are living a nomadic lifestyle so they can make ends meet.

This comes after a report from Anglicare Australia revealed that out of more than 45,000 properties across the country, less than one per cent were deemed affordable. Out of those numbers, only four properties were affordable for someone on JobSeeker or the age or disability support pensions. More details about this story can be read here.

Ms Lopes said: ‘You can see some of the young people who have taken it up recently are in two minds because the societal expectation within them is to go home, rent a house and work full-time, but they are moving towards this nomadic lifestyle because they are really struggling with that financial situation.’

She added that the majority of the people she meets on her travels are from coastal areas. She said they hit the road because they want to continue living along the coast but cannot afford to rent their previous homes along the coastlines.

For those who want to hit the open road, Mr Hales offered a few suggestions, starting with planning ahead.

According to Camplify’s data, there has been a 270 per cent growth in booking vans in the past six months alone compared to last year.

‘We’ve got some really cool vans on Camplify; many are one-of-a-kind or offer luxury or retro travel experiences, but we’d recommend getting in early so you have plenty of options,’ Mr Hales said.

He also said to do more research, such as knowing where you’re going and what you’ll need.

‘Caravan parks will usually have power, bathrooms and cooking facilities, but if you’re heading off-grid, you may need a campervan with solar panels, a toilet and shower, and a way to cook,’ he advised.
Key Takeaways
  • Van living is becoming a popular trend among Australians, driven by factors such as the cost of living crisis, rising rent prices, and COVID-19 lockdowns.
  • Caravan and motorhome sharing company, Camplify, experienced a significant increase in people using their service, with double the number of youth hiring campervans this summer compared to 2021.
  • Travellers are advised to plan ahead, book early and do research to find the best campervan and facilities for their trip, as Camplify saw a 270 per cent growth in bookings in the past six months compared to the same period last year.
For anyone who has taken up or is living a nomadic lifestyle, what advice can you give to those who want to try? Share any tips or stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: RandyRob79
Sponsored
My parents owned a caravan when my brother and I were growing up. School holidays consisted of going on holiday in the caravan, as my father adored it. Wasn't real rapt in it, and I probably appear ungrateful. Disliked the toilets back them, but these days caravans have them build in, and caravan parks and public areas have vastly improved for everyone's needs.

My grandparents had a caravan and when it got to much to move around my grandfather rented a permanent spot at East Beach down the South coast of NSW.

They would go down most weekends and as well as a few weeks throughout the year. They ended up trading it in for a mobile home in Laurieton NSW . They loved this life style .

My husband wants an RV so we can just take off when ever we want. I said we can take off whenever we want but let's get a hotel room

Reactions: Jarred Santos
That bad, @SGH? :LOL: Did he have a bad experience related to it? Or just a dislike for the whole thing?
Yes he had a bad experience, and luckily I was not there for it, he even begrudges towing trailers, let alone caravans. And being a military family you can image he moved with his parents, then joined up and we had to move, however, every time we moved he was away and got out of everything.😇

My parents owned a caravan when my brother and I were growing up. School holidays consisted of going on holiday in the caravan, as my father adored it. Wasn't real rapt in it, and I probably appear ungrateful. Disliked the toilets back them, but these days caravans have them build in, and caravan parks and public areas have vastly improved for everyone's needs.
Most caravan parks are $45 -$50 per night, how can some one on job seekers afford that along with petrol to travel around all the time.

Most caravan parks are $45 -$50 per night, how can some one on job seekers afford that along with petrol to travel around all the time.
These days there are national parks that allow very cheap camping (tents).

Last edited: