The New ‘ADVANCED’ Woolworths Supermarket That Has Everyone Talking

The future of grocery stores is looking bright – or at least, more convenient. With the rise of technology, we're seeing more and more innovations that make our lives easier, and grocery stores are no exception.

In the past decade, we have seen a lot of technological advances in the grocery store industry. Some of these advances include the use of self-checkout machines, online ordering and delivery, and in-store touchscreen ordering kiosks (in some restaurants, at least).

And while the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed our shopping habits, it drove demand for more online transactions as more and more people are cautious of physical shopping.

What if the grocery store experience was completely different? With the rapid advancements in technology, it's not hard to imagine a future where the grocery store experience is completely different from what we're used to today.

Keeping this in mind, it is not surprising that several companies are already working on making this vision a reality.

Take, for example, supermarket giant Woolworths which has recently opened its brand new 'customer-free' grocery store in Brisbane, allowing the company to provide customers with the freshest products in the most convenient and efficient way possible.

xrZaqNETQxZnqe0E3ZIqzPCdqXoIa2xMjEEWI_K0yqo33UVcItUR72cBFrMTKXlUW0RwnvMnEN8BqG50AVmStVw4ZuDeXKw91Tfd9XH80jxXTuZ0OYwGGIUmdQsymkLayvNTESyE3GqrCt5a8dYTlw

A ‘personal shopper’ packing items inside Woolworths’ newest ‘customer-free’ store in Brisbane. Credit: Woolworths/NCA Newswire.

You read that right, folks! The massive 10,000 sqm Queensland store, which is said to cater exclusively to online orders, will accommodate up to 30,000 orders weekly for shoppers spanning from Beenleigh to Mt Ommaney — and no customers are allowed to step foot in it!

Woolworths executive Sally Copland said that the move is meant to provide a solution to the massive demand for online orders in Brisbane.

‘Online grocery shopping has been well and truly embraced by our Brisbane customers, many of whom are looking to reclaim time in their busy lives,’ she explained.

‘This facility is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing customers with high-quality products fresher, faster and more convenient than ever before.’

The company also said that with the new purpose-built space, its 'personal shopper' employees in Brisbane will be able to hand-pack orders from a selection of more than 25,000 products with more efficiency.

Aside from the benefits to the customers, Woolworths also expressed its keenness to create more employment opportunities for Australians, predicting that the new facility could provide up to 800 jobs.

Adrian Schrinner, the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, referred to the innovation as a sign of the times, saying: ‘Fast, convenient services are essential to meet the needs of our growing city, as modern life demands choice and flexibility.’

It's not hard to imagine a future where we can order our groceries online and have them delivered to us within a few hours given these new developments. We may even be able to have our groceries delivered by robots! Who knows?

This future may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, but it's not that far-fetched. In fact, it may be closer than we think!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our shopping habits will change in the near future? How have grocery stores changed from when you first visited? Let us know your insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
During the height of Covid there was talk of turning many stores into "Dark" stores (Usually a warehouse but sometimes a former shop, dark stores can service click-and-collect as well as order fulfillment when goods are to be delivered)...sadly this didn't eventuate and so retail staff were continually subjected to customers who flaunted the covid rules, with many not caring about not staying 1.5M away from you!
😷😡
Also nothing "weird" about these stores other than trying to sensationalize your heading!

The future of grocery stores is looking bright – or at least, more convenient. With the rise of technology, we're seeing more and more innovations that make our lives easier, and grocery stores are no exception.

In the past decade, we have seen a lot of technological advances in the grocery store industry. Some of these advances include the use of self-checkout machines, online ordering and delivery, and in-store touchscreen ordering kiosks (in some restaurants, at least).

And while the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed our shopping habits, it drove demand for more online transactions as more and more people are cautious of physical shopping.

What if the grocery store experience was completely different? With the rapid advancements in technology, it's not hard to imagine a future where the grocery store experience is completely different from what we're used to today.

Keeping this in mind, it is not surprising that several companies are already working on making this vision a reality.

Take, for example, supermarket giant Woolworths which has recently opened its brand new 'customer-free' grocery store in Brisbane, allowing the company to provide customers with the freshest products in the most convenient and efficient way possible.

xrZaqNETQxZnqe0E3ZIqzPCdqXoIa2xMjEEWI_K0yqo33UVcItUR72cBFrMTKXlUW0RwnvMnEN8BqG50AVmStVw4ZuDeXKw91Tfd9XH80jxXTuZ0OYwGGIUmdQsymkLayvNTESyE3GqrCt5a8dYTlw

A ‘personal shopper’ packing items inside Woolworths’ newest ‘customer-free’ store in Brisbane. Credit: Woolworths/NCA Newswire.

You read that right, folks! The massive 10,000 sqm Queensland store, which is said to cater exclusively to online orders, will accommodate up to 30,000 orders weekly for shoppers spanning from Beenleigh to Mt Ommaney — and no customers are allowed to step foot in it!

Woolworths executive Sally Copland said that the move is meant to provide a solution to the massive demand for online orders in Brisbane.

‘Online grocery shopping has been well and truly embraced by our Brisbane customers, many of whom are looking to reclaim time in their busy lives,’ she explained.

‘This facility is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing customers with high-quality products fresher, faster and more convenient than ever before.’

The company also said that with the new purpose-built space, its 'personal shopper' employees in Brisbane will be able to hand-pack orders from a selection of more than 25,000 products with more efficiency.

Aside from the benefits to the customers, Woolworths also expressed its keenness to create more employment opportunities for Australians, predicting that the new facility could provide up to 800 jobs.

Adrian Schrinner, the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, referred to the innovation as a sign of the times, saying: ‘Fast, convenient services are essential to meet the needs of our growing city, as modern life demands choice and flexibility.’

It's not hard to imagine a future where we can order our groceries online and have them delivered to us within a few hours given these new developments. We may even be able to have our groceries delivered by robots! Who knows?

This future may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, but it's not that far-fetched. In fact, it may be closer than we think!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our shopping habits will change in the near future? How have grocery stores changed from when you first visited? Let us know your insights in the comments below!
I prefer face to face shopping. Now its more jobs in future less jobs.

My ex works for Woollies & I'm pretty sure we have a Dark Store Warehouse in the Western Suburbs in Victoria. I'm going to say it's either Williamstown or thereabouts.

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci

I like to do my own shopping and buy my own food. I like to choose what I eat. My daughter does online grocery shopping and often complains about the “like” products that are substituted. Is life really so busy that we can’t afford an hour or so to buy some Groceries for our families. If so then time to take a good look at things.

Bring it on! I haven't been in a supermarket in over 3 years and I don't intend going any time soon. I love that there are people to do the chores I hate, will shop to my list and deliver it to just inside my front door. There has been a couple of times when something I've ordered has been unavailable when they pick the order, I always tick the no substitutes box and whatever doesn't show up just goes on my list for the next order. I make up my order over 3 or 4 days so I don't often miss something I really need. It suits me down to the ground and I can heartily recommend it.:)

Does that mean Living at Greenbank we can get our online orders from there as well. Our come from Flagstone which is stupid cause a bit of rain and they stop delivering as they say flash flooding. Apparently our local Park Ridge store doesn't do deliveries.

Reactions: Sweets555 and Ricci
While I much prefer to shop personally and choose my own produce, I am physically unable to do so without severe pain due to advanced arthritis, so online shopping has been a godsend to me. No more trudging round the aisles in pain, no more struggling to get the grocery bags upstairs. I still make SHORT trips to the shops for things I feel I must choose myself such as gifts but I'm sure there are many, many folks to whom online shopping is a lifesaver.

While I much prefer to shop personally and choose my own produce, I am physically unable to do so without severe pain due to advanced arthritis, so online shopping has been a godsend to me. No more trudging round the aisles in pain, no more struggling to get the grocery bags upstairs. I still make SHORT trips to the shops for things I feel I must choose myself such as gifts but I'm sure there are many, many folks to whom online shopping is a lifesaver.
I too am disabled but my son does most of my shopping at our local woolies store and a bit at the iga and every couple of months I do a coles shop as we live in Scottsdale Tasmania, woolies do not deliver as they are local, they do a click and collect all good if you can drive which I am no longer allowed to do, coles deliver to my door, even during covid they would bring it in and unpack the bags from the crates and take them back with them

Reactions: Sweets555 and Ricci
I tried that when I had to isolate and they wouldn't deliver because my order was to small I had to spend $40.00 and I had spent $37.00 I live on my own and I don't need much as I grow my own veg I had to get my son to go get my things and he works so I had to wait till Sunday to get them and it was Coles we don't have Woolies where I live they are in the next suburb and my son lives half an hour away to

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ricci and Marj53

just hope they don't LOSE your order

Definitely when you live alone you don't spend a lot on groceries. I don't need much when I go to the shops. So I am guessing they wouldn't want my order and then you have to pay more to have it delivered. NO SERVICE eventually 😕 😢 😞

Definitely when you live alone you don't spend a lot on groceries. I don't need much when I go to the shops. So I am guessing they wouldn't want my order and then you have to pay more to have it delivered. NO SERVICE eventually 😕 😢 😞
you're guessing but have you actually tried??

Reactions: Ricci
I like to do my own shopping and buy my own food. I like to choose what I eat. My daughter does online grocery shopping and often complains about the “like” products that are substituted. Is life really so busy that we can’t afford an hour or so to buy some Groceries for our families. If so then time to take a good look at things.
It’s not always time that stops us doing face to face shopping, in my case I don’t drive and have no public transport so I often rely on home delivery.

Reactions: Ricci

67 years ago when I was a cadet in the Merchant Navy we used to sail into the port of St John's, New Brunswick at the top of the Bay of Fundy in Canada where the tides can rise and fall 30 ft per day. That's beside the point. There was a store in the town which we would now call a supermarket where you collected an inked token on your arrival. You walked round the store selected what you wanted and having marked it with your inked token put it in a shute running beneath the shelves of product. When you had finished you had a cup of coffee and returned your token to the checkout where you paid your bill and found all your goods packed in your trolley waiting for you. Perhaps woolies are catching up and updating with new tehnology?