The 'mind-blowing' power of CITRIC ACID when it comes to cleaning the loo

There is a particular area in our bathrooms that requires a lot of attention, especially when it comes to cleaning – our toilets.

It may not come as a shock, but an average of 3.2 million bacteria per square inch are found in your toilet bowl, so if you really want to give your bathroom a much-needed deep clean, your toilet should be one of your first priorities.

While there are plenty of toilet cleaners to choose from out there in the supermarkets, we here at the SDC are all about the ones that are cheap, safe, eco-friendly, and of course, effective.

Ditch the harsh chemicals from a bottle, folks! Here comes our new favourite toilet-cleaning ingredient – citric acid.

Often hailed as one of the most diverse natural cleaning agents, citric acid is the perfect addition to the array of tools and products you're using to clean your toilet.

It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, degreasing and whitening properties that have been proven effective by thousands of cleaners not just here in Australia, but worldwide!

But just in case you're not familiar yet with the product, we're going to show you how to use it to make your toilet sparkling clean.

GKFquremXwJcejyetJ7Oa5EcaSUpF--vFB5uOrym780Se48UGqZalKIMMzN4CxlSe95hMtwWaTRUzgDYKsCh_uetk0nZatI6XeYT0hicVKRtX7wmoh2VBiv4iE9vSa9Px-X5dC0rkg4ZDgpIQw

Citric acid is one of the easiest and cheapest cleaning products for removing stubborn hard-water toilet stains. Credit: Daily Express.
Citric acid often comes in a white powder form, especially the ones that can be bought in supermarkets (like this one from Woolies). While you can dilute it in some warm water we recommend for your first toilet deep clean, you leave it as a powder.

It's also important to note that citric acid, while it derives from fruits such as lemons, can be harsh on your skin. So be sure to wear protective gear like gloves and glasses/goggles while cleaning with it in order to protect yourself.

Here's how to use citric powder to clean your loo:
  1. The first step is to pour a bucket of warm water down the toilet. The heat will loosen the limescale nasties sitting at the bottom of the bowl.
  2. Once the hot water has cooled slightly, it’s time to pour the citric acid in. It will sit at the bottom of the bowl and remove the rest of the stains.
  3. Then, simply grab a toilet brush and scrub away for the last pieces remaining or repeat the process. (If you find that there are bits you cannot remove, you might need to pour more than one bucket of warm water down there.)

But if you're looking for a simpler and easier cleaning method, simply sprinkle the citric acid into your toilet and get scrubbing. The powder will mix with the water, creating a paste that you can leave on for a couple of hours. Then flush away and the job's done!

If you're still on the fence about citric acid, just watch this TikTok video below posted by a mum from Canberra, attesting to the cleaning product. It's that amazing!

Well, there you have it – looks like citric acid is our new go-to cleaning agent, folks! Better add this now to your grocery shopping list…

Sponsored
The 'mind-blowing' power of CITRIC ACID when it comes to cleaning the loo

There is a particular area in our bathrooms that requires a lot of attention, especially when it comes to cleaning – our toilets.

It may not come as a shock, but an average of 3.2 million bacteria per square inch are found in your toilet bowl, so if you really want to give your bathroom a much-needed deep clean, your toilet should be one of your first priorities.

While there are plenty of toilet cleaners to choose from out there in the supermarkets, we here at the SDC are all about the ones that are cheap, safe, eco-friendly, and of course, effective.

Ditch the harsh chemicals from a bottle, folks! Here comes our new favourite toilet-cleaning ingredient – citric acid.

Often hailed as one of the most diverse natural cleaning agents, citric acid is the perfect addition to the array of tools and products you're using to clean your toilet.

It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, degreasing and whitening properties that have been proven effective by thousands of cleaners not just here in Australia, but worldwide!

But just in case you're not familiar yet with the product, we're going to show you how to use it to make your toilet sparkling clean.

GKFquremXwJcejyetJ7Oa5EcaSUpF--vFB5uOrym780Se48UGqZalKIMMzN4CxlSe95hMtwWaTRUzgDYKsCh_uetk0nZatI6XeYT0hicVKRtX7wmoh2VBiv4iE9vSa9Px-X5dC0rkg4ZDgpIQw

Citric acid is one of the easiest and cheapest cleaning products for removing stubborn hard-water toilet stains. Credit: Daily Express.
Citric acid often comes in a white powder form, especially the ones that can be bought in supermarkets (like this one from Woolies). While you can dilute it in some warm water we recommend for your first toilet deep clean, you leave it as a powder.

It's also important to note that citric acid, while it derives from fruits such as lemons, can be harsh on your skin. So be sure to wear protective gear like gloves and glasses/goggles while cleaning with it in order to protect yourself.

Here's how to use citric powder to clean your loo:
  1. The first step is to pour a bucket of warm water down the toilet. The heat will loosen the limescale nasties sitting at the bottom of the bowl.
  2. Once the hot water has cooled slightly, it’s time to pour the citric acid in. It will sit at the bottom of the bowl and remove the rest of the stains.
  3. Then, simply grab a toilet brush and scrub away for the last pieces remaining or repeat the process. (If you find that there are bits you cannot remove, you might need to pour more than one bucket of warm water down there.)

But if you're looking for a simpler and easier cleaning method, simply sprinkle the citric acid into your toilet and get scrubbing. The powder will mix with the water, creating a paste that you can leave on for a couple of hours. Then flush away and the job's done!

If you're still on the fence about citric acid, just watch this TikTok video below posted by a mum from Canberra, attesting to the cleaning product. It's that amazing!

Well, there you have it – looks like citric acid is our new go-to cleaning agent, folks! Better add this now to your grocery shopping list…

On my shopping list! Fingers crossed!!

How do toilets get to this stage I clean ours on a daily basis
A lot have hard water and it will happen over night. After I go to bed the water around the plug hole in my vanity basin will be brown in the morning. So too the toilet.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I also use citric acid to clean my stainless steel kettle/jug when i dont have a lemon. Just sprinkle a teaspoon full of citric acid into a kettle full of water & bring to the boil leave it to sit for 5 mins or so tip the water out fill with clean water & boil again & tip down the sink & you have a sparkling kettle & gauge . Tip i leave the lid open on the jug to remind me not to use it while soaking.

The last cleaning hack which I loved I accidentally used bleach instead of vinegar including heating the bleach up in the microwave.

Gosh what will I accidentally use instead of citric acid 😳

For the record my 3 toilets are spotless , I can't imagine a toilet being left until you have to scrub it