The incredible legacy Barry Humphries leaves behind: From Dame Edna to Sir Les

It has been an incredibly sad few days for Australia's culture and entertainment industry, with the news of the passing of one of Australia’s greatest entertainers, Barry Humphries.
As both an entertainer and public figure, Barry Humphries has touched an entire nation's hearts, minds and funny bones.

Without exaggeration, he can be considered one of the single most significant influences on the country's entertainment scene in its modern history, with an entire generation brought up on his characters and the scope of his impressive works.

But don’t take our word for it, here is a wonderful video of Dame Edna performing.

So, it is with heavy hearts but fond memories that we bid farewell to Humphries, who passed away on Saturday night from complications of hip surgery at the age of 89.

The man behind beloved characters such as Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson left behind an unmatchable legacy that will be remembered for decades to come.

shutterstock_186518084 (1) (1).jpg
Barry Humphries is remembered for his influence on Australian comedy. Image Credit: Shutterstock

He was born in Melbourne on February 17, 1934, as the first child of Eric and Louise 'Lou' Humphries and grew up in the suburb of Camberwell. It was a very 1950s middle-class environment - a background that inspired much of his work.

Humphries attended Camberwell Grammar and was awarded a scholarship to the University of Melbourne, a place he became infamous for his art exhibitions, pranks, and all-around Dadaist-inspired talents.

It wasn't until he left university and joined the Melbourne Theatre Company in the mid-1950s that one of his most famous creations, Dame Edna Everage, finally took shape. Everage was an acerbic wit with purple hair, rhinestone glasses and colourful dresses to boot.

As Edna gained her footing, Humphries soon made a name for himself with other characters, including Sandy Stone ('the world’s most boring man') and Sir Les Patterson, the boozy, uncouth 'cultural attache' who always had a drink in his hand.

The iconic entertainer moved to London in the 1960s, where he became friends with the likes of Peter Cook and Spike Milligan. He also had success in the US - winning a Tony Award for his successful stage show Dame Edna: The Royal Tour.

In more recent years, Humphries has passed on his mantle to the next generation of entertainers, appearing on stage and screen alongside some of the most recognised Aussie names today. He still had plenty to offer and was even planning a comeback in the near future.

shutterstock_123613831 (1).jpg
Dame Edna featured on many stamps over the years. Credit: Shutterstock

'I have to get back on my feet … I'm going back on tour later this year. The result of my broken hip means I now have a titanium hip … you can call me “Bionic Bazza”,' he told the Sydney Morning Herald in late March.

He will be remembered, of course, for his wit and creative genius, but also by his friends and family as being a loyal and loving person, a great friend and family member and by all accounts, a lovely bloke.

Nine Entertainment Editor Richard Wilkins, who had the pleasure of knowing him personally, shed light on his character during a report of his passing.

'Apparently, in hospital, he was still cracking people up. That must have taken a lot of energy from him, but he kept people entertained, the showman.'

Another close friend, Kathy Lette (co-author of Puberty Blues), fondly remembered him saying: 'The number one thing he wanted to do was make sure the nurses were laughing, and his visitors felt at ease.'

‘The last time I saw him, he was making jokes about obituaries and what words one could or couldn’t use. He didn’t want the word “nice” or “bubbly”, which meant drunk!’

A statement from his family read: ‘He was completely himself until the very end, never losing his brilliant mind, his unique wit and generosity of spirit.’

‘With over 70 years on the stage, he was an entertainer to his core, touring up until the last year of his life and planning more shows that will sadly never be. His audiences were precious to him, and he never took them for granted. Although he may be best remembered for his work in theatre, he was a painter, author, poet, and a collector and lover of art in all its forms.’

‘He was also a loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, and a friend and confidant to many. His passing leaves a void in so many lives. The characters he created, which brought laughter to millions, will live on.’

His death made headlines worldwide and politicians, celebrities and world leaders all paid tribute to the man and his comedy.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese shared on Twitter, ‘Barry Humphries entertained us through a galaxy of personas, from Dame Edna to Sandy Stone. But the brightest star in that galaxy was always Barry.’

Another of Humphries iconic characters was Sir Les Patterson. 'I enjoy playing Les more than any other character because it releases my inner vulgarity. It liberates my repressed ribaldry,' he once said.

However, footage of his older performances has slowly begun to disappear from the video platforms, in what many consider to be caused by ‘political correctness and 21st-century woke consciousness’.

Key Takeaways

• Australian entertainer Barry Humphries, famous for creating characters like Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson, passed away at 89.
  • Humphries spent his final days in St Vincent’s Private Hospital in Sydney following complications from hip surgery earlier this year.
  • Colleagues and friends paid tribute to his artistic legacy, describing him as a 'loyal and loving' friend.
  • Born and raised in Melbourne, Humphries gained fame in the British comedy scene and won a Tony award in the US for his stage show Dame Edna: The Royal Tour.
His biographer Anne Pende in 2010 described Humphries as ‘not only the most significant theatrical figure of our time … [but] the most significant comedian to emerge since Charlie Chaplin.’

He was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in 1982 and a CBE for services to entertainment in 2007.

Humphries had been living in London with his wife Lizzie for the past 40 years but was holidaying in Sydney at the time of his passing.

Humphries is survived by his wife, Lizzie Spender, his four children, Tessa, Emily, Oscar and Rupert, and ten grandchildren.

Members, to honour the impact of this incredible performer, we urge you to have a laugh with friends and family once more, watch some classic Barry Humphries performances, and never forget what a kind and generous person he was.

Our thoughts are with all his friends, family, and all those who love him dearly.

Here are a few gems hand-selected by fellow SDC members:

Do you have any favourite memories of Barry Humphries or one of his many alter-egos?

Last edited:
Sponsored
Omg there are too many to say.

I remember Dame Edna was a regular guest on the Mike Walsh show.

I remember there was a segment when Dame Edna and Sir Les were interviewed at the same time , that was really funny.

Dame Edna reminded me alot of a Great Aunt of mine but of course more funnier.
He really got it right imitating an Australian housewife , my great aunt did call everyone Possum's.

One thing that was hilarious was when Dame Edna attended The Royal Variety Performance and sat in a box seat next to Camilla and Prince Charles , then someone came in and handed Dame Edna a card , she then said ' oh I'm in the Wrong Seat ' ... Apparently they have a better seat for me.

My Grandmother saw Dame Edna live and said it was a performance that she would never forget.

Good Night to a true Aussie Icon Rest In Peace

It has been an incredibly sad few days for Australia's culture and entertainment industry, with the news of the passing of one of Australia’s greatest entertainers, Barry Humphries.
As both an entertainer and public figure, Barry Humphries has touched an entire nation's hearts, minds and funny bones.

Without exaggeration, he can be considered one of the single most significant influences on the country's entertainment scene in its modern history, with an entire generation brought up on his characters and the scope of his impressive works.

But don’t take our word for it, here is a wonderful video of Dame Edna performing.

So, it is with heavy hearts but fond memories that we bid farewell to Humphries, who passed away on Saturday night from complications of hip surgery at the age of 89.

The man behind beloved characters such as Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson left behind an unmatchable legacy that will be remembered for decades to come.

View attachment 18104
Barry Humphries is remembered for his influence on Australian comedy. Image Credit: Shutterstock

He was born in Melbourne on February 17, 1934, as the first child of Eric and Louise 'Lou' Humphries and grew up in the suburb of Camberwell. It was a very 1950s middle-class environment - a background that inspired much of his work.

Humphries attended Camberwell Grammar and was awarded a scholarship to the University of Melbourne, a place he became infamous for his art exhibitions, pranks, and all-around Dadaist-inspired talents.

It wasn't until he left university and joined the Melbourne Theatre Company in the mid-1950s that one of his most famous creations, Dame Edna Everage, finally took shape. Everage was an acerbic wit with purple hair, rhinestone glasses and colourful dresses to boot.

As Edna gained her footing, Humphries soon made a name for himself with other characters, including Sandy Stone ('the world’s most boring man') and Sir Les Patterson, the boozy, uncouth 'cultural attache' who always had a drink in his hand.

The iconic entertainer moved to London in the 1960s, where he became friends with the likes of Peter Cook and Spike Milligan. He also had success in the US - winning a Tony Award for his successful stage show Dame Edna: The Royal Tour.

In more recent years, Humphries has passed on his mantle to the next generation of entertainers, appearing on stage and screen alongside some of the most recognised Aussie names today. He still had plenty to offer and was even planning a comeback in the near future.

View attachment 18105
Dame Edna featured on many stamps over the years. Credit: Shutterstock

'I have to get back on my feet … I'm going back on tour later this year. The result of my broken hip means I now have a titanium hip … you can call me “Bionic Bazza”,' he told the Sydney Morning Herald in late March.

He will be remembered, of course, for his wit and creative genius, but also by his friends and family as being a loyal and loving person, a great friend and family member and by all accounts, a lovely bloke.

Nine Entertainment Editor Richard Wilkins, who had the pleasure of knowing him personally, shed light on his character during a report of his passing.

'Apparently, in hospital, he was still cracking people up. That must have taken a lot of energy from him, but he kept people entertained, the showman.'

Another close friend, Kathy Lette (co-author of Puberty Blues), fondly remembered him saying: 'The number one thing he wanted to do was make sure the nurses were laughing, and his visitors felt at ease.'

‘The last time I saw him, he was making jokes about obituaries and what words one could or couldn’t use. He didn’t want the word “nice” or “bubbly”, which meant drunk!’

A statement from his family read: ‘He was completely himself until the very end, never losing his brilliant mind, his unique wit and generosity of spirit.’

‘With over 70 years on the stage, he was an entertainer to his core, touring up until the last year of his life and planning more shows that will sadly never be. His audiences were precious to him, and he never took them for granted. Although he may be best remembered for his work in theatre, he was a painter, author, poet, and a collector and lover of art in all its forms.’

‘He was also a loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, and a friend and confidant to many. His passing leaves a void in so many lives. The characters he created, which brought laughter to millions, will live on.’

His death made headlines worldwide and politicians, celebrities and world leaders all paid tribute to the man and his comedy.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese shared on Twitter, ‘Barry Humphries entertained us through a galaxy of personas, from Dame Edna to Sandy Stone. But the brightest star in that galaxy was always Barry.’

Another of Humphries iconic characters was Sir Les Patterson. 'I enjoy playing Les more than any other character because it releases my inner vulgarity. It liberates my repressed ribaldry,' he once said.

However, footage of his older performances has slowly begun to disappear from the video platforms, in what many consider to be caused by ‘political correctness and 21st-century woke consciousness’.

Key Takeaways

• Australian entertainer Barry Humphries, famous for creating characters like Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson, passed away at 89.
  • Humphries spent his final days in St Vincent’s Private Hospital in Sydney following complications from hip surgery earlier this year.
  • Colleagues and friends paid tribute to his artistic legacy, describing him as a 'loyal and loving' friend.
  • Born and raised in Melbourne, Humphries gained fame in the British comedy scene and won a Tony award in the US for his stage show Dame Edna: The Royal Tour.
His biographer Anne Pende in 2010 described Humphries as ‘not only the most significant theatrical figure of our time … [but] the most significant comedian to emerge since Charlie Chaplin.’

He was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in 1982 and a CBE for services to entertainment in 2007.

Humphries had been living in London with his wife Lizzie for the past 40 years but was holidaying in Sydney at the time of his passing.

Humphries is survived by his wife, Lizzie Spender, his four children, Tessa, Emily, Oscar and Rupert, and ten grandchildren.

Members, to honour the impact of this incredible performer, we urge you to have a laugh with friends and family once more, watch some classic Barry Humphries performances, and never forget what a kind and generous person he was.

Our thoughts are with all his friends, family, and all those who love him dearly.

Here are a few gems hand-selected by fellow SDC members:

Do you have any favourite memories of Barry Humphries or one of his many alter-egos?

I am sorry that we have lost another great actor, Rest in piece Vale

Reactions: Jarred Santos