The hidden $30 Coles fee that has shoppers fuming - were you aware?

Content warning: This article contains many mentions of crude language. Reader discretion is advised.

While online shopping is undeniably convenient, there are emerging problems that have led some to question if it's worth it to continue using the service.

Recently, a Coles customer was left feeling frustrated and angry after a dispute over one of their orders, which revealed a rather sneaky fee that shoppers may not have been aware of.

A recent incident involving a Coles customer has highlighted a little-known fee that shoppers can be charged for cancelling their Click&Collect orders.

Sharing on TikTok, the Coles shopper – who uses the handle @trentjulien – vented his frustration at discovering a '$30 cancellation fee to cancel order'.

He said this came after he tried to cancel the Click&Collect after the retail giant ‘f****d up’ his order.

coles1.jpg
The shopper said he tried to cancel after the supermarket allegedly messed up his order. Credit: Coles Online

However, he was shocked to receive an email from a supermarket representative stating that he would be charged a ‘$30 cancellation fee’.

According to Coles’ Click&Collect cancellation policy, shoppers who wish to cancel their orders after the cut-off time need to inform the supermarket beforehand.

‘Any orders cancelled after order cut-off time may incur a $30 cancellation fee,’ the website stated.

‘Okay, has this ever happened to anyone, right?’ the shopper said in his video.

He continued: ‘I just did a Click and Collect order with Coles, and like they’re so f****ng bad at this. Like, the last time I did a Click and Collect order, they replaced some steaks with a roast - which is an entirely different cut of meat.’

coles2.jpg
The shopper vented his frustrations on social media. Credit: trentjulien/TikTok

The shopper went on to say that he sent the supermarket an email saying: ‘Look, I’m done with you guys. I’m not messing around with you guys anymore.’

‘And so, they’ve just sent me this: $30 to cancel this order. There will be a $30 cancellation fee to cancel an order that they f****d up. And this is the third time they f****d up. No f*****g way’

‘Like, no f*****g way, man. No f*****g way,’ the irate customer continued.

He then shared a photo of the email he received from Coles. It read: ‘We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with the substitute in your order. Let me inform you that there would [be] a cancellation fee of $30.00 to cancel [the] order.’

It is understood, however, that this charge is enforced at the discretion of each store and may apply in certain and uncommon circumstances.

Other social media users were shocked by the charge.

‘That’s a bit much,’ wrote one.

Another said: ‘What! I’ve never seen a cancellation fee!’

While others suggested that the customer should turn off substitutions on future orders, however, the shopper didn’t want to.

‘Last time I did “no substitute” $90 of a $220 order was not in stock. When I went in to pick it up, I went in the store, and it was in stock sitting on the shelf,’ he replied.

A spokesperson for Coles said that the supermarket is working to resolve this issue with the customer.

‘Coles Online encourages customers to opt-in to receive substitutions so we can replace out-of-stock items with similar products for their convenience. We are sorry to hear this customer was unhappy with the substitution he was offered. The customer has been contacted, and our customer care team is looking into the matter,’ the spokesperson told reporters.

This report comes after Coles announced major changes will be made to their Click&Collect service, where customers will now be allowed to choose from an extended range of over 20,000 items – including some that were previously unavailable for home delivery, including the roast chicken and a variety of liquor (available at selected stores only). You can read the rest of the report here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer has complained about a little-known $30 fee during a dispute over a recent Click&Collect order.
  • The shopper claimed that Coles charged a $30 cancellation fee after they attempted to cancel their order due to the supermarket's mistake.
  • Coles' Click&Collect Terms and Conditions mention a $30 fee if orders are cancelled after the order cut-off time, though these charges are at the discretion of each store and may apply in certain and uncommon circumstances.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket is working to resolve the issue with the customer and is investigating the matter.
Do you shop online or prefer the in-store experience? Have you had any issues with online shopping before? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
Content warning: This article contains many mentions of crude language. Reader discretion is advised.

While online shopping is undeniably convenient, there are emerging problems that have led some to question if it's worth it to continue using the service.

Recently, a Coles customer was left feeling frustrated and angry after a dispute over one of their orders, which revealed a rather sneaky fee that shoppers may not have been aware of.

A recent incident involving a Coles customer has highlighted a little-known fee that shoppers can be charged for cancelling their Click&Collect orders.

Sharing on TikTok, the Coles shopper – who uses the handle @trentjulien – vented his frustration at discovering a '$30 cancellation fee to cancel order'.

He said this came after he tried to cancel the Click&Collect after the retail giant ‘f****d up’ his order.

View attachment 18308
The shopper said he tried to cancel after the supermarket allegedly messed up his order. Credit: Coles Online

However, he was shocked to receive an email from a supermarket representative stating that he would be charged a ‘$30 cancellation fee’.

According to Coles’ Click&Collect cancellation policy, shoppers who wish to cancel their orders after the cut-off time need to inform the supermarket beforehand.

‘Any orders cancelled after order cut-off time may incur a $30 cancellation fee,’ the website stated.

He continued: ‘I just did a Click and Collect order with Coles, and like they’re so f****ng bad at this. Like, the last time I did a Click and Collect order, they replaced some steaks with a roast - which is an entirely different cut of meat.’

View attachment 18309

The shopper went on to say that he sent the supermarket an email saying: ‘Look, I’m done with you guys. I’m not messing around with you guys anymore.’

‘And so, they’ve just sent me this: $30 to cancel this order. There will be a $30 cancellation fee to cancel an order that they f****d up. And this is the third time they f****d up. No f*****g way’

He then shared a photo of the email he received from Coles. It read: ‘We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with the substitute in your order. Let me inform you that there would [be] a cancellation fee of $30.00 to cancel [the] order.’

It is understood, however, that this charge is enforced at the discretion of each store and may apply in certain and uncommon circumstances.

While others suggested that the customer should turn off substitutions on future orders, however, the shopper didn’t want to.

‘Last time I did “no substitute” $90 of a $220 order was not in stock. When I went in to pick it up, I went in the store, and it was in stock sitting on the shelf,’ he replied.

A spokesperson for Coles said that the supermarket is working to resolve this issue with the customer.

‘Coles Online encourages customers to opt-in to receive substitutions so we can replace out-of-stock items with similar products for their convenience. We are sorry to hear this customer was unhappy with the substitution he was offered. The customer has been contacted, and our customer care team is looking into the matter,’ the spokesperson told reporters.

This report comes after Coles announced major changes will be made to their Click&Collect service, where customers will now be allowed to choose from an extended range of over 20,000 items – including some that were previously unavailable for home delivery, including the roast chicken and a variety of liquor (available at selected stores only). You can read the rest of the report here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has complained about a little-known $30 fee during a dispute over a recent Click&Collect order.
  • The shopper claimed that Coles charged a $30 cancellation fee after they attempted to cancel their order due to the supermarket's mistake.
  • Coles' Click&Collect Terms and Conditions mention a $30 fee if orders are cancelled after the order cut-off time, though these charges are at the discretion of each store and may apply in certain and uncommon circumstances.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket is working to resolve the issue with the customer and is investigating the matter.
Do you shop online or prefer the in-store experience? Have you had any issues with online shopping before? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.
If I order a kilo of Gammon Rasher Bacon. Then a kilo of Streaky Bacon is not a substitute.

This is the future and way of the internet.
How often ONLINE have you purchased something ... The discription and images look perfect.
When you received the item it is NOT what you thought you were ordering and paying for.
In the end, you give up with frustration and simply walk away X-amount of dollars gone, not to mention the time wasted trying to resolve an issue THEN IF A SOLUTION IS FOUND IT COSTS YOU $XXX-XX .. Add up all the $30.00s and add something for time wasted ... you just spent a stack .. How do you know if the product you are being handed hasn't been dropped and LICKED clean .. or, as what happened to me , I ordered an expensive heating instrument for baby animals to keep them warm in cold weather.. It arrived, Looked Great THEN it failed to work. It was the last one in stock so.. IF I SENT IT BACK AT MY BLOODY EXPENSE THEY WOULD REFUND THE ORIGINAL PRICE... My summary was they knew it was inoperative and by sending it and then wanting it sent back .. a lot of people would say .. damn, I have been sucked in again and scrap the whole thing as a bad joke.
Similiar HERE.. You want a substitute, Not somthing that they cannot sell. Demand a Cancellation WITHOUT A COST FOR THEIR STUFF UPS..
More than 20 yrs ago Banks would charge YOU for a bounced cheque from a person that owes YOU the money... I didn't write a bouncer the peson paying me did.. Now the bank charges ME $40.00 .
No bloody deal... they should either recoup the money from the Payer or write off the charge to bad debts. THE WORLD OF CROOKS AND SCAMMERS

View attachment 18308

View attachment 18309

Key Takeaways

I use Woolworths online to do my shopping, generally no problems. Recently I decided to try Coles so created my order only to discover when I went to pay that many, many items weren't available so I ditched my online order and won't use them again.

How often ONLINE have you purchased something ... The discription and images look perfect.
When you received the item it is NOT what you thought you were ordering and paying for.
In the end, you give up with frustration and simply walk away X-amount of dollars gone, not to mention the time wasted trying to resolve an issue THEN IF A SOLUTION IS FOUND IT COSTS YOU $XXX-XX .. Add up all the $30.00s and add something for time wasted ... you just spent a stack .. How do you know if the product you are being handed hasn't been dropped and LICKED clean .. or, as what happened to me , I ordered an expensive heating instrument for baby animals to keep them warm in cold weather.. It arrived, Looked Great THEN it failed to work. It was the last one in stock so.. IF I SENT IT BACK AT MY BLOODY EXPENSE THEY WOULD REFUND THE ORIGINAL PRICE... My summary was they knew it was inoperative and by sending it and then wanting it sent back .. a lot of people would say .. damn, I have been sucked in again and scrap the whole thing as a bad joke.
Similiar HERE.. You want a substitute, Not somthing that they cannot sell. Demand a Cancellation WITHOUT A COST FOR THEIR STUFF UPS..
More than 20 yrs ago Banks would charge YOU for a bounced cheque from a person that owes YOU the money... I didn't write a bouncer the peson paying me did.. Now the bank charges ME $40.00 .
No bloody deal... they should either recoup the money from the Payer or write off the charge to bad debts. THE WORLD OF CROOKS AND SCAMMERS

Under Australian law they have to refund the cost of returning it if faulty, it's your choice to have it replaced , repaired or refunded

View attachment 18308

View attachment 18309

Key Takeaways

I no longer order from coles either, I'm in a wheelchair and prefer home delivery.
The last order was in November last year, I ordered alcohol drinks for my son's birthday party, when there was no answer after a week, I wrote back that I was canceling it because it was now too late.
I get the answer that I can no longer cancel it and the delivery would come.
I thought ok then I'll use it for Christmas, since it still wasn't there after 2 weeks I saw in the trucker that it was sent somewhere else, it was redirected to another address.
Luckily I paid with paypal so I got my money back.

So to summarise, this fellow was unhappy with a previous order when steak was replaced with roast. He then placed another order which he cancelled AFTER the cut off period had elapsed. When he was advised he would be charged the $30 fee he took his complaint to tik-tok.

The guy is an attention seeking idiot!

Gammon is Spanish for ham
There's no way that the Gammon Spanish name would be on the supermarket's online ordering website. It would be ham. Now, if you ordered honey ham and there's no stock, the substitute might be double smoked ham etc, unless people select 'no substitute'. The supermarkets won't charge you if you select 'no substitute' and there's no stock available.

Reactions: debjoel21 and Ricci

View attachment 18308

View attachment 18309

Key Takeaways

We have used online shopping with Woolworths for about 4 years and have found that they pick the order just before delivery, this includes delivery to boot of car pickup, and then say they do not have stock, yet when I go pickup something they missed they have stock on the shelves. This is so annoying even now if we do an online order and it is missing something I go to the shop and there it is on the shelf so I take a pic and we send the pic to them, to show it was in stock and on shelf. We have also found out that ordering specials almost always say No Stock, so off I got and there it is on the shelf. The worst is pick up and they say No Stock and you go into store and there it is on the shelf!!!!!!!!! Never select Substitute as they always give you something that is no where like what you want, like tissues and we got toilet paper, another good one is we asked for Self Raising Flour (for cakes) we got Corn Flour????? how does work.

What annoys me most with doing any online buying with Coles is that they don't accept their own eGift Cards at the electronic checkout. Their scanners at the supermarket checkouts are useless if I want to print out the Card or scan its photo on my phone; I invariably have to punch in a 20-odd digit number and PIN manually and pray that the Checkout Chick/Chuck/Chook has remembered to enter the dollar value of the Card before I hit ENTER.
WTF is the point of having eGift Cards if you can't eBuy?

Wow Vet543 you really told us how you feel.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 18308

View attachment 18309

Key Takeaways

If you can shop in the store yourself. That way you can decide alternatives if necessary. Why can't their system advise when making the online order that a product is unavailable?

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
If you can shop in the store yourself. That way you can decide alternatives if necessary. Why can't their system advise when making the online order that a product is unavailable?
It does show if an item is unavailable. However, if it's available when completing an order, sometimes that item can sell out before you get your delivery. Hence, a substitute item is given, or nothing if people select no substitutes.

I've only used online ordering at Coles or Woolies a few times after having surgery and being unable to drive or carry things. I was disgusted with the number of items that were unavailable (I opted for no substitutes) and several times had milk leaking all over other items. Also wasn't very impressed with the quality of the fresh fruit and veggies. I would much rather do the shopping myself, and would only use online shopping if I absolutely had no alternative.