The heartbreaking reason why this grocery is finally ditching self-serve checkouts!

In a move that harks back to the days of personal service and face-to-face interactions, one Aussie grocery store has decided to say goodbye to self-serve checkouts, sparking a conversation about the future of our shopping experiences.

IGA Greenslopes, an independently owned and operated store, has decided to remove these modern conveniences in favour of manned checkouts, and the reason is quite disheartening.

The supermarket's decision comes in response to a significant increase in shoplifting incidents, a challenge exacerbated by the cost of living crisis gripping the nation.

According to a sign posted in the store, removing self-serve checkouts is a direct measure to combat theft, which has been on the rise.

This controversial change, part of a concerning trend in retail, has been met with mixed reactions.

compressed-pexels-chuck-15491800.jpeg
The use of self-checkout lanes globally has resulted in a significant increase in revenue loss, amounting to nearly 4 per cent of total sales. Image Source / Pexels / Wallace Chuck

Retail giants Coles and Woolworths have been ramping up security measures at their self-serve checkouts, employing artificial intelligence, security cameras, and even automatic gates to deter theft.

In an interview, Gary Mortimer, a retail expert from Queensland University of Technology, highlighted that shoplifting is not just a problem for the big players in the market.

Smaller retailers like independently managed IGAs are particularly vulnerable, lacking the extensive security infrastructure of larger chains, making them easier targets for shoplifters.

He said, ‘I think we’re going to see more of this take place where self-service is one of those areas where we do see a significant lift in shop stealing.’

‘Either you do it well and do it the expensive way with the full tech, or you do it with simpler stuff, but you risk being exposed to theft.’

Mortimer estimates that shoplifting costs Australian retailers around $9 billion each year, a staggering figure that impacts businesses and honest consumers alike.

The cost of living crisis has been cited as a critical factor in the rise of shoplifting, with a recent survey revealing that approximately 1 in 8 Australians have stolen something in the past year.

Finder's research suggests that as many as 2.4 million Australians have engaged in this petty crime, some resorting to scanning expensive items as cheaper at self-serve checkouts.

Inflation rates and food prices have soared, with Australians spending up to $193 weekly on groceries.

These financial pressures have pushed Australian households to what Finder money expert Sarah Megginson describes as a ‘breaking point’.

The financial strain is not only affecting those traditionally seen as vulnerable but is also reaching middle-class Australians who have never before needed to seek support services.

She said, ‘The research really shows just how much people are struggling and turning to things that they probably never could have imagined in the past.’

‘It really speaks to the fact that people are struggling, and the financial counselling hotlines and support services are seeing a totally new demographic come through, people who would have been classed as middle-class Australians who have never needed the services before have just been completely caught out by the last 12 months,’ she added.

Source: YouTube / 7NEWS Australia​

The increase in theft is not solely attributed to financial desperation; there is also an element of opportunism amplified by frustration with the self-service model.

Mortimer notes that some customers feel a sense of entitlement when forced to ring up their groceries, which can lead to theft.

He said, ‘I often hear that mindset around, “If I have to ring up my own groceries then I am entitled to take something.”’

‘Often there is this mindset around why we steal. It’s not just criminality; it’s often frustration, or it’s an accident or this form of entitlement.’

This frustration is not solely based on a desire for human interaction. Among other concerns, many shoppers have discovered discrepancies in self-serve registers.
Key Takeaways
  • IGA’s Greenslopes branch in Brisbane has decided to remove self-serve checkouts due to a surge in shoplifting.
  • Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths are enhancing security at self-serve checkouts with measures like AI, cameras, and automatic gates.
  • Shoplifting has significantly increased due to the cost of living crisis, with a survey finding 1 in 8 Australians admitting to stealing in the past year.
  • Rising theft rates are attributed to the cost of living pressures, leading to new demographics seeking financial support and counselling services.
As we witness these changes, it's clear that the supermarket experience as we know it may be on the cusp of yet another transformation.

The question remains: will other supermarkets follow suit, and how will this impact our shopping habits?

Do you prefer the personal service of manned checkouts, or do you miss the convenience of self-service? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think manned checkouts should be bought back. If theft is such a problem then fix it with customer service not security devices that treat everyone like thieves. If we have to scan and pack our own groceries due to lack of customer service then we should be entitled to a staff discount but that doesn't mean I would condone theft if any kind.

Thems the breaks.... just don't pass it onto the pricing......
You sow what you reap.... surely they would have seen this.... on the other hand all they could see was the additional profit they would make... can't think past their noses...

Thems the breaks.... just don't pass it onto the pricing......
You sow what you reap.... surely they would have seen this.... on the other hand all they could see was the additional profit they would make... can't think past their noses...
even their prices are reasonable Ian.

Reactions: Ricci
May as well! I am honest, and we pay for the thefts that occur. Bunnings loses $200 million dollars a year in theft. The staff are not allowed to challenge customers, even when they suspect theft. So who pays for the thefts at Bunnings? You and I, honest customers do. Makes me angry that Bunnings doesn’t set a better example for stopping the stealing. I’m sick of prices going up, to cover their losses. Gezabel.

Even if they get caught, they know they won't get punished, so then they just do it more often. There is NO DETERRENT to crime anymore in Australia. All the DO GOODERS say it's uncivilized to discipline/punish people, but it's just as uncivilized to steal, damage and hurt people. If they do get sent to gaol, they are treated better than pensioners and the homeless .

I refuse to self checkout in supermarkets, I am not an employee and can see no reason to partake in this lack of service. In addition these self checkouts have eliminated a lot of part time jobs for students and certainly has not reduced prices apart from increasing Profits. The same applies to Service Stations who used to employ staff to pump petrol and provide a service.

even their prices are reasonable Ian.
If you talk about Cole and Woollies prices being reasonable then you have money to throw around.... they are the most extortionate prices ever....

Supermarkets charge a premium. We pay for and should receive full checkout service. If a discount were given for self serve (15% sounds fair) I would gladly use self serve.

I do object to having to get an assistant? to clear the machine because I left an unused shopping bag, or god forbid, a purchase from another store, in my trolly.

If I wanted to steal believe me they could not stop me.

I refuse to self checkout in supermarkets, I am not an employee and can see no reason to partake in this lack of service. In addition these self checkouts have eliminated a lot of part time jobs for students and certainly has not reduced prices apart from increasing Profits. The same applies to Service Stations who used to employ staff to pump petrol and provide a service.
You've won top prize for using all the usual stupid phrases!!!:rolleyes:
I refuse to use them.
I don't work there.
Jobs being lost

Would you like one of the staff to go round the store with you and take the goods off the shelf and put them in your trolley for you?

You probably don't work at a petrol station either? Do you not go to any as you have to serve yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
IGA are expensive enough anyway.
I'd boycott any shops that don't have self serve. Not my idea of fun to wait in a queue wasting my time when I can scan everything myself, pay by card and leave the shop. Much easier and quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
All this theft is costing us all. Stores still have to pay for what is stolen so they pass the cost to all of us.
Get rid of self service.
They are passing the theft off at higher prices.... that will never change..