The end of dementia? Inside the groundbreaking new drugs that treat early Alzheimer's

Are we on the verge of a groundbreaking development in treating dementia?

It seems like the answer could be ‘yes’ as recent advances in medical research have brought us new drugs that target early Alzheimer's disease, offering hope to millions of Australians struggling with this debilitating condition.

Rachel Hawley was just 63 when she started noticing minor memory problems.

‘They were little things, such as repeating myself…and struggling to remember recipes I’d cooked for years,’ she said.

‘It wasn't anything dramatic, but it was enough for me to go see my doctor,’ she continued.

A brain scan revealed amyloid plaque build-up, a sign of Alzheimer's disease, and she was diagnosed with early-stage Alzheimer's.

pill1.jpg
Rachel was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

‘It was very depressing,’ said Rachel, now 70.

But luckily for Rachel, she was able to join a trial for a new drug called aducanumab, which targets amyloid plaque – the destructive protein build-up linked to Alzheimer's.

Not only did Rachel receive the active drug, but she was also in the high-dose group. In the clinical trials of the drug, there were those in the low-dose and placebo groups as well.

According to Rachel, she experienced a side-effect called Aria – an amyloid-related imaging abnormality – which led to swelling in her brain. This caused headaches, so she had to stop taking medication temporarily.

But this only lasted for a few weeks. After that, she went back on the trial medication.

pill2.jpg
Rachel reported side effects to her GP. Credit: Anna Shvets/Pexels

Now seven years on the medication, her memory hasn't deteriorated much, allowing her to live a relatively normal life.

‘I'm still a keen cook and can follow complicated knitting patterns to make cardigans for my grandsons,’ she told reporters.

She also remains independent and is able to shop and drive on her own.

The global community is paying close attention to the latest clinical trial results. Aducanumab is the first in a new class of drugs referred to as disease-modifying treatments for Alzheimer's.

These drugs work by removing the amyloid plaque, which is closely linked to the development of Alzheimer's.

However, when it was granted conditional approval this year, it became the subject of scrutiny.

Doctors also openly refused the prescription of Aduhelm, which is the brand name for the medication aducanumab, until clear evidence of its benefits was collected and presented.

More revelations about the development of this drug can be read here.

The recent trial results for two other drugs – lecanemab and donanemab – also target amyloid plaque and show promising results in removing amyloid from the brain. And, for the first time ever, it may even slow down the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Lecanemab has reportedly reduced the decline in memory and thinking by 27 per cent over 18 months for early Alzheimer's patients.

Similarly, donanemab has shown that nearly half of the participants taking the drug had no clinical progression after a year, and it potentially reduced the decline of daily living abilities by 40 per cent.

Despite these promising results, some roadblocks still lie ahead.

Concerns about the cost of these new drugs—predicted at around AUD$27,000 per patient per year—may limit their availability on a large scale.

Additionally, getting an early diagnosis of Alzheimer's might be a challenge as the drugs have so far only been tested for early-stage Alzheimer's.

There are also concerns about the potential side effects of these drugs, such as brain swelling and bleeding, especially for patients on blood thinners or with pre-existing health conditions.

Nevertheless, the advancements in Alzheimer's treatments are offering hope to millions of people worldwide, including many older Australians.

And Rachel's personal experience serves as a testament to the potential benefits of these new drugs.

‘I'm just so lucky and grateful,’ Rachel says.

‘Just being on the drug trial gave us hope. It was better than doing nothing; otherwise, you're just giving up.’

As more developments emerge in treating dementia, we'll make sure to keep you informed on the latest drugs and technologies. Remember to consult your doctor for personalised advice on managing dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
Key Takeaways
  • New drugs for early Alzheimer's, such as aducanumab, lecanemab, and donanemab, are showing promising results in slowing down cognitive decline and removing amyloid plaque in the brain, which is closely linked with the disease.
  • Patients participating in trials for these drugs have reported improved memory and halted mental decline, with some even experiencing a reversal of symptoms.
  • Despite the promising results, there are concerns over potential side effects such as brain swelling and bleeding and questions about whether the benefits outweigh the risks and costs of the drugs.
Whether you or someone you love is affected by Alzheimer's or dementia, advancements like these give us all more reasons to hope for a brighter future.

Sponsored

It seems like the answer could be ‘yes’ as recent advances in medical research have brought us new drugs that target early Alzheimer's disease, offering hope to millions of Australians struggling with this debilitating condition.

‘They were little things, such as repeating myself…and struggling to remember recipes I’d cooked for years,’ she said.

‘It wasn't anything dramatic, but it was enough for me to go see my doctor,’ she continued.

A brain scan revealed amyloid plaque build-up, a sign of Alzheimer's disease, and she was diagnosed with early-stage Alzheimer's.

View attachment 21142

But luckily for Rachel, she was able to join a trial for a new drug called aducanumab, which targets amyloid plaque – the destructive protein build-up linked to Alzheimer's.

Not only did Rachel receive the active drug, but she was also in the high-dose group. In the clinical trials of the drug, there were those in the low-dose and placebo groups as well.

According to Rachel, she experienced a side-effect called Aria – an amyloid-related imaging abnormality – which led to swelling in her brain. This caused headaches, so she had to stop taking medication temporarily.

But this only lasted for a few weeks. After that, she went back on the trial medication.

View attachment 21143

Now seven years on the medication, her memory hasn't deteriorated much, allowing her to live a relatively normal life.

‘I'm still a keen cook and can follow complicated knitting patterns to make cardigans for my grandsons,’ she told reporters.

The global community is paying close attention to the latest clinical trial results. Aducanumab is the first in a new class of drugs referred to as disease-modifying treatments for Alzheimer's.

These drugs work by removing the amyloid plaque, which is closely linked to the development of Alzheimer's.

However, when it was granted conditional approval this year, it became the subject of scrutiny.

Doctors also openly refused the prescription of Aduhelm, which is the brand name for the medication aducanumab, until clear evidence of its benefits was collected and presented.

The recent trial results for two other drugs – lecanemab and donanemab – also target amyloid plaque and show promising results in removing amyloid from the brain. And, for the first time ever, it may even slow down the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Lecanemab has reportedly reduced the decline in memory and thinking by 27 per cent over 18 months for early Alzheimer's patients.

Similarly, donanemab has shown that nearly half of the participants taking the drug had no clinical progression after a year, and it potentially reduced the decline of daily living abilities by 40 per cent.

Concerns about the cost of these new drugs—predicted at around AUD$27,000 per patient per year—may limit their availability on a large scale.

Additionally, getting an early diagnosis of Alzheimer's might be a challenge as the drugs have so far only been tested for early-stage Alzheimer's.

There are also concerns about the potential side effects of these drugs, such as brain swelling and bleeding, especially for patients on blood thinners or with pre-existing health conditions.

Nevertheless, the advancements in Alzheimer's treatments are offering hope to millions of people worldwide, including many older Australians.

And Rachel's personal experience serves as a testament to the potential benefits of these new drugs.

‘Just being on the drug trial gave us hope. It was better than doing nothing; otherwise, you're just giving up.’

As more developments emerge in treating dementia, we'll make sure to keep you informed on the latest drugs and technologies. Remember to consult your doctor for personalised advice on managing dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
Key Takeaways

• New drugs for early Alzheimer's, such as aducanumab, lecanemab, and donanemab, are showing promising results in slowing down cognitive decline and removing amyloid plaque in the brain, which is closely linked with the disease.
  • Patients participating in trials for these drugs have reported improved memory and halted mental decline, with some even experiencing a reversal of symptoms.
  • Despite the promising results, there are concerns over potential side effects such as brain swelling and bleeding and questions about whether the benefits outweigh the risks and costs of the drugs.
Whether you or someone you love is affected by Alzheimer's or dementia, advancements like these give us all more reasons to hope for a brighter future.
Brilliant!

Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 21142

View attachment 21143

Key Takeaways

Alzheimer’s IS dementia. It is the most common form of dementia. Not all dementia is Alzheimer’s, but all Alzheimer’s is dementia. It was the cause of my dear husband’s death.

Anything that helps prevent dementia, Alzheimers has to be fast tracked in trials, etc. so we can overcome this terrible disease.