The Dirty Truth Behind Shopping Trolley Handles

‘How dirty is a shopping trolley handle?’

This is not a typical question that would come to mind, but it left the internet disgusted after a doctor exposed on social media how dirty a shopping trolley handle can be.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 09.40.02.png
Often overlooked, shopping trolley handles are dirtier than what we could have ever imagined. Credits: Pixabay/ Pexels

In his video, Dr Joe Whittington shared an experiment where a scientist collected swabs of a shopping trolley handle before and after sanitising it. The scientist then took Petri dishes and grew bacteria using the swab samples.

‘After a few days, the uncleaned handle came back with an astonishing amount of bacteria’, Dr Whittington shared. On the other hand, no bacteria were found in the handle that was sanitised.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 09.40.57.png
An experiment proved that uncleaned trolley handles were found to have an astonishing amount of bacteria. Credit: Thirdman/Pexels

He also shared the importance of disinfecting trolley handles before use. ‘Shopping carts are high-touch surfaces that multiple people handle throughout the day, increasing the likelihood that they harbour pathogens. Sanitising the handle can help mitigate the risk and provide an extra layer of protection against potential illness.’

In the meantime, another doctor, Dr Joseph Salhab, revealed that a 2012 study discovered that 72 per cent of shopping trolleys had traces of fecal matter on them. According to Dr Joseph Salhab, this is because of people who either do not wash their hands after using the toilet or do not wash their hands long enough. Because of this, fecal matter ends up on high-touch surfaces such as trolleys and even self-service checkouts.

With this, Dr Joseph Salhab emphasised on the importance of thorough hand washing. ‘Wash your hands every time you come home, wash your hands every time you eat, and take off your shoes when you get home’, he said.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 09.41.53.png
Dr Salhab shared the importance of hand washing to prevent fecal matter transfer on high-touch surfaces Credits: CDC/pexels

Here are some best practices for washing your hands, according to the Healthdirect Australia:
  1. Wet your hands in warm running water.
  2. Apply soap or liquid soap and make sure that it covers both your hands. Tip: It’s okay to be generous with the amount of soap that you use!
  3. Rub your hands together for at least 20 seconds.
  4. Cover all surfaces! This means include the back of your hands and the gaps in between your fingers.
  5. Rinse your hands well and make sure you remove all the soap. Use a towel or paper towel when turning off the tap.
  6. Dry your hands with a paper towel or using an air dryer.
So, members, do you sanitise trolley handles before use? If not, will you start to? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.

Sponsored
Not just shopping trolleys. Escalator hand rails are another cause of concern. Since covid is now in the past hand cleaners and wipes are less frequent at shopping centres. I always wipe the trolley handles when I go into a supermarket.

In Australia we are quite backward with this kind of public hygiene - South African supermarkets have had trolley and hand sanitizer available for at least 10 years before Covid was heard of.
Simple common sense!

Reactions: Sockjoan and Rob44
Never touch the trolley without sanitizing. Often at Woolies the sanitizing station is empty, so I ask and wait for it to be filled.

Reactions: KaraJenna
Not just shopping trolleys. Escalator hand rails are another cause of concern. Since covid is now in the past hand cleaners and wipes are less frequent at shopping centres. I always wipe the trolley handles when I go into a supermarket.
Covid-19 is not in the past, as proved when my wife brought it home from the shopping centre and I ended up coughing up blood for some days. Although I suppose Scott Morrison, well-known biomedical researcher and health expert and former PM said the pandemic was over two years ago. I suppose as the pandemic is now an endemic and most people couldn't care less about putting others at risk or even spreading the virus the pandemic is indeed over. Pity about the lung damage that seems permanent and will never be "over".

These experiments were US based for a start, also hygiene wipes are available for use at all supermarkets now, they are alcohol wipes used during covid ...and people would have to be stupid NOT to know how many people have touched the trolleys...seriously we ARE responsible for our health...

Last edited:
I would like to wipe the trolley as well - BUT - the wipes have been removed from Coles and Woolworths. Will have to take my own - more to carry now we have to carry shopping bags. AND what is the point of he paper bags to save on plastic - trees have to be cut down to make the paper!!!!!

Reactions: Jennie and PattiB
Not to mention fruit and veggies touched by those who continually cough into their hands then happily fondle them and put them back.
That is why I pick my fruit and veggies from the back or from the container underneath.
I go to the local greengrocer as they start to unload the trucks that way I know for sure that they come in pristine condition....

Reactions: Jennie
That is why I pick my fruit and veggies from the back or from the container underneath.
I go to the local greengrocer as they start to unload the trucks that way I know for sure that they come in pristine condition....
alas they have already been touched several times and please do not think you are the only one to choose from the rear.

Reactions: IAN3005
These experiments were US based fir a start, also hygiene wipes are available for use at all supermarkets now,...and people would have to be stupid NOT to know how many people have touched the trolleys...seriously we ARE responsible for our health...
The wipes at supermarkets are water based & not designed to sanitise anything. Plus they are located a long way from the trolley storage area so you have to collect your trolley, move it inside the store holding the handle, then you can clean it with a wet wipe if you want to. Rather pointless. If I really want to keep my hands clean I wear gloves when handling a trolley or carry a can of Glen 20 & spray the handle with that.

• Haha
Reactions: IAN3005
alas they have already been touched several times and please do not think you are the only one to choose from the rear.
but I am one of the first... as they come off the truck..... The early bird catches the worm... so to speak

I use the wipes every time I take a trolley and I also use the hand sanitizer. We just had a few days in Sydney and drove from Victoria. Toilet stops were a nightmare! No soap or hand dryers in many places. Some didn’t even have running water. I always make sure I have hand wipes and sanitizer in the car.

Reactions: Lisa
Using wipes to sanitise trolley handles is always an essential part of my shopping experience. I credit this practice with my avoiding ever getting Covid.

Using wipes to sanitise trolley handles is always an essential part of my shopping experience. I credit this practice with my avoiding ever getting Covid.
I avoided Covid quite effectively; masks and vaxs. Then three days before I was booked for my next vax, the 6 months immunity period having more or less expired, some dirty bugger passed C-19 to my wife in the local shopping centre and it was all on. Lovely 2023 Xmas present from some grubby idiot in the shopping centre. The pills (Paxlovid) did an excellent job but still didn't stop me coughing up fresh blood followed by green mucous plus bits of blood for some days afterwards. That's our mild and friendly Covid-19 virus for you.

So wear that N95 mask properly when out shopping. It doesn't hurt!

These experiments were US based fir a start, also hygiene wipes are available for use at all supermarkets now,...and people would have to be stupid NOT to know how many people have touched the trolleys...seriously we ARE responsible for our health...
So many do not have sanitisers available, especially Aldi. I carry my own - just like sunscreen

Always sanitise the trolley handle and hanging bags on bits before going in.
Just as important, sanitise your hands on the way out. I am hoping we all wash our fruit and veg before consuming.
Doesn't matter where you go, there will always be transfer of invisible critters from one item to another. I am very aware of the sanitising, and in fact, always carried my own before COVID.
You cannot be sure 100% that you have done enough. I guess that is why vaccinations come into play.

Reactions: Lisa
The wipes at supermarkets are water based & not designed to sanitise anything. Plus they are located a long way from the trolley storage area so you have to collect your trolley, move it inside the store holding the handle, then you can clean it with a wet wipe if you want to. Rather pointless. If I really want to keep my hands clean I wear gloves when handling a trolley or carry a can of Glen 20 & spray the handle with that.
Actually that's incorrect..they are sanitiser wipes bought out with covid, secondly I have no idea where YOU shop but they are ALWAYS located near the trolley bay or baskets in store! If you feel you need to be a pratt by carrying Glen 20 feel free..

I would like to wipe the trolley as well - BUT - the wipes have been removed from Coles and Woolworths. Will have to take my own - more to carry now we have to carry shopping bags. AND what is the point of he paper bags to save on plastic - trees have to be cut down to make the paper!!!!!
I take my own - their stuff gives me hives