SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Cranky Codger

Cranky Codger

Administrator
Oct 16, 2023
The Cranky Codger: Social Media: The All-Seeing Eye and the Fall of Private Thought

Take a seat, dear readers, pull up a chair, perhaps a cushion, and lend this old codger your ear. Today, I've been tasked – nay, burdened – with a topic that almost astounds me with its absurdity. That most ill-conceived spawn of the internet age: social media.

Ah, social media, the 21st-century panopticon! Once upon a simpler time, we could sit quietly, sipping our tea, contemplating the universe or the subtleties of a good, hearty stew. Our thoughts were our own, private little treasures, shared only with trusted companions or noble souls daring enough to withstand our soliloquies. Not anymore, I daresay. Now our once cherished contemplations are thrown out for the world to scrutinise over their avocado toast or during commercial breaks.

We paint these meticulously curated, rose-tinted facades of our lives that rarely reflect reality. Your neighbour, usually seen wearing old slippers and a tatty dressing gown, suddenly becomes 'Insta-glam' with her morning cappuccino and pedicure posts.

Then there's the language, heavens, the language! Every other word is a hashtag, and let's not even speak of the blasphemic slaughtering of the Queen's English. Where once we had letters, now we have tweets - tiny morsels of information, capable of unleashing a tsunami of outrage or a wave of 'viral' approval.

compressed-DALL·E 2023-10-19 13.30.56 - Cartoon_ A middle-aged woman, typically seen in worn-...jpeg
We've all got that acquaintance who fancies themselves a 'wannabe influencer' these days...

But it's not all innocuous. When did 'checking-in' on friends mean spying their every move from a digital distance? Every meal, every holiday, every darn cat photo is there for public perusal. Not to mention the dreaded 'paparazzi parents', sharing their offspring's every milestone, from first steps to embarrassing teenage mishaps. Pity the children growing up in this digital fishbowl!

And let's not forget about the insidious trolling, the often merciless mouthpiece of cowards and keyboard warriors. Ah, the sweet irony! How hath man thought to improve communication, only to breed a new level of hostility and resentment?

I've heard it said that these online connections bring us closer together, break down barriers. What a load of tosh! When was the last time you saw a young whippersnapper lift their head from their smartphone long enough to engage in a genuine face-to-face interaction? These so-called 'social' networks are wondrous tools for dismantling the art of conversation.

I don't refute the technology's ability to connect us, to revolutionise communication. But at what cost, dear reader? The loss of privacy? The erosion of true human connection and experiencing the moment as it is?

Now, I'll get off my soapbox. Until next time: keep your noses out of your Facebook, and in a good book. And in case you're wondering, no, I don't want to follow you on Twitter.

Stay cranky my friends!

We were only able to create this content because of the financial support of SDC Rewards members. If you’d like to see more of this (and a lot fewer ads!), please consider supporting us and signing up for SDC Rewards today—it starts at just 14 cents per day.

Totally agree, there is so much trash aired on social media forums that should really be kept private. I’m sure it is all about everyone trying to outdo each other. I have a Facebook account but don’t even follow my family on it and have never posted anything at all on it. The only friend suggestions I have ever accepted are my family members, I’m not interested in anyone else’s carry ons.
You are missing out - I have learned about great spots with artesian baths, good camping places with prices, pubs with free camps behind, local interesting groups and so much more. You just have to join private groups with your interests in mind

Reactions: Littleboy8
The only social media I am part of in any real form, is Facebook, usually to say happy birthday to friends and family and keep an eye on what family is up to. Very basic, with probably around 10 friends. Ohh...poor me.

I never post photos, mainly because I don't care enough to find out how.
I believe Tweets should stay in trees and Podcasts in the shells with the other peas.
Influencers don't even rate a mention, or a look. I regard them as people with huge egos that need stroking.

I will concede one failing on my part. I enjoy watching those recordings of animals doing cute and funny things. They say a lot about the humans who record them.

On a personal level, my favourite thing in the whole world is seeing someone face to face and getting a granny huggle. Beats the hell out of those pretend ones online.

SDC is another place I like to visit. We are in our own little realm and don't care about gathering followers. Besides, I always find something to say, whether sensible or reflective of my true personality. Rock on my SDC friends.

The only social media I am part of in any real form, is Facebook, usually to say happy birthday to friends and family and keep an eye on what family is up to. Very basic, with probably around 10 friends. Ohh...poor me.

I never post photos, mainly because I don't care enough to find out how.
I believe Tweets should stay in trees and Podcasts in the shells with the other peas.
Influencers don't even rate a mention, or a look. I regard them as people with huge egos that need stroking.

I will concede one failing on my part. I enjoy watching those recordings of animals doing cute and funny things. They say a lot about the humans who record them.

On a personal level, my favourite thing in the whole world is seeing someone face to face and getting a granny huggle. Beats the hell out of those pretend ones online.

SDC is another place I like to visit. We are in our own little realm and don't care about gathering followers. Besides, I always find something to say, whether sensible or reflective of my true personality. Rock on my SDC friends.
I love Facebook for the funny stuff also I’m addicted to fun😍I ignore the people you might know shit don’t go there.and some of the recipe posts are great. It’s amazing what you can do with eggs and coffee.😹

Reactions: MariaG