The chocolate apocalypse? Virus threatens global supply of beloved treat

Chocolates are arguably one of the most popular food items in the world—a treat of many shapes and sizes and a versatile ingredient for cooks and bakers worldwide.

A world with less chocolate is a bittersweet thought that could be a reality due to a destructive virus targeting the heartland of global chocolate production.

The virus—spread by mealybugs feeding on plants—is causing significant damage to cacao crops in Ghana, the second-largest chocolate exporter.

With climate change blamed for the pest infestation, the situation led to harvest losses of around 15 to 50 per cent.

The infestation is not just a blow to Ghana and the Ivory Coast’s economies—accounting for half of the world's chocolate supply—but also to chocolate lovers worldwide.

compressed-pexels-polina-tankilevitch-4110101.jpeg
Chocolates are more than just dessert—they are also a versatile ingredient for different cuisines across the globe. Image Credit: Pexels/Polina Tankilevitch

Author and University of Texas mathematics professor Benito Chen-Charpentier described the virus as 'a real threat to the global supply of chocolate'.

‘Pesticides don't work well against mealybugs, leaving farmers to try to prevent the spread of the disease by cutting out infected trees and breeding resistant trees,’ he shared.

‘But despite these efforts, Ghana has lost more than 254 million cacao trees in recent years.’

Researchers at the University of Texas proposed a potential solution: vaccinating trees and inoculating them from the virus.

While this sounds like a silver bullet, the reality is more complex. The vaccines are costly and can set back farmers to operating with slim profit margins.

Moreover, vaccinated trees may yield smaller harvests, which could exacerbate the problem by reducing overall production.

Researchers developed alternative yet innovative strategies using mathematical data to prevent further mealybug infestation.

‘What we needed to do was create a model for cacao growers so they could know how far away they could safely plant vaccinated trees from unvaccinated trees to prevent the spread of the virus while keeping costs manageable for these small farmers,’ Chen-Carpentier shared.

The team created two models that allow farmers to protect vaccinated cacao trees from unvaccinated ones.

‘While still experimental, these models are exciting because they would help farmers protect their crops while helping them achieve a better harvest,’ Chen-Carpentier concluded.

‘This is good for the farmers' bottom line as well as our global addiction to chocolate.’

In a previous article, Nestlé and Cadbury were forced to hike prices as cocoa hit a record price of $8,643 per metric tonne—a significant increase from the previous year.

Supermarkets like ALDI and Coles acknowledged the rising costs but still aim to keep chocolate affordable for consumers.
Key Takeaways

• A destructive virus transmitted by mealybugs threatens the global supply of chocolate, with Ghana's cacao crops suffering significant harvest losses.
  • Chocolate companies raised prices due to cacao supply shortages caused by the virus, among many other factors.
  • Researchers are working on strategies, including vaccination of cacao trees and mathematical models, to combat the spread of the virus among crops.
  • While still experimental, these strategies could protect the cacao trees, support farmers' incomes, and sustain the chocolate supply.
How do you feel about the potential chocolate shortage? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: Liag
Sponsored
I always knew when my missus was pissed off with me, she would the biggest block of chocolate knowing full well that I would eat it and feel crook but when I came out of hospital I couldn't stand chocolate, even now all these years later I have only eaten about squares so I don't I'll miss it.

Strange how cocoa comes from cacao trees. I would have thought the spelling would be the same?

Bananas are suffering a similar problem ...

The Cavendish banana species, accounting for almost half of global production, is under threat by a deadly disease. A predecessor of the disease wiped out another variety which forced plantations to plant the Cavendish in the 1950s.