The best time to exercise for a good night’s sleep, according to two sleep experts

It seems like the story we wrote about a military trick that helps people fall asleep quickly has been a hit amongst you guys eh? So why not back it up with some more amazing sleep tips!

So thanks to the last hack, you’re falling asleep quickly. Well the following tips will help you improve the quality of sleep you’re getting at night. They may even help your workout routine!!

g8WWHdPk2hIeUtgthIO3wt6ThysGcZP8lgSTNB48sPC8DelfgUODaXda7hq94fAj8LQjS8oZcjc1F5w56Y-_TpBvr77w-Fa8EK51lAM5Zht8uhaMQfX4iwBywXD9-bQa9KWI1GAH

Credit: Getty.

We’ve heard it all before; getting in some exercise will greatly improve your sleep quality. So after a long walk or other exercise, why do I not wake up the next day feeling refreshed?

Apparently, it’s not only the type of exercise that we’re doing, but also the time we’re doing it, that matters when we want to get a great night's sleep.

According to sleep expert Elina Winnel, we should refrain from exercising at least two hours before going to bed.

“This allows your body temperature and heart rate sufficient time to drop back to normal prior to sleep,” she said.

Internationally recognised sleep expert, Dr Carmel Harrington, agrees as well, adding: “Exercise helps us sleep, but exercising after about 7 pm at night can be counterproductive, as this can significantly affect our ability to get to and stay asleep, as it effectively delays our body clock.”

While Ms Winnel advises people to work out in the morning to prepare them for the day, Dr Harrington suggests doing our exercises at around 5 o’clock in the afternoon, since our cardiovascular strength peaks at that time. She also recommends “aligning with your body clock” by waking up at the same time every day.

IPMcACfbz2DTK66vWhztBk2viAm5sZOXx3pVB2XILvMpZx9qRDsHKqXzBCHOR7FNySs9mx0sQGKOoJGnrKPpt_Bbq_hyZBPEkO6cbRL85wHy4CtKVBrsYm1tOwlfw3vRt-kihio6

Credit: Getty.

The two sleep experts highlighted that improving the quality of our daytime activities will greatly help in our sleep as well.

Ms Winnel says: “Exercising outdoors, with exposure to natural light, helps to maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.”

She also suggested doing a bit of weight-bearing exercises, though this may differ from person to person. “Moderate exercise, such as yoga or walking, helps to calm and soothe our nervous system, making sleep easier to achieve,” she added.

While Dr Harrington recommends going for an afternoon walk for at least 20 minutes per day will help prepare our bodies and mind for sleep later at night. On the other hand, she does not advise drinking any caffeine after midday, eating large meals within three hours of bedtime, and napping (for more than 20 minutes) during the day.

xfNt5N78885PUkPL36HmHyPMLNm46bqcyZPf4vTHqDfkOZoe9azIE_dFBvMILI_URtPLaFwYLJhY7Xhsmx7v8HHXXcOgi4e1lNpTTEMpG8Nhdze76YHHZsE7hPrUbP3zbayrcV0R

Credit: Shutterstock.

Now that we’re done with our day and ready to catch some z’s, let’s take a look at the nighttime rituals this pair of snooze doctors recommend.

Both sleep experts advise that a relaxed mind and body is the most important factor in getting a good night’s sleep.

For Dr Harrington, aromatherapy and a warm shower help her relax before bed. Since blue light messes with your body's ability to prepare for sleep, she also makes sure all mobile gadgets are turned off.

Ms Winnel practises meditation and yoga before bedtime, and she recommends using a mattress that regulates your temperature so you don’t overheat while sleeping.

Do you have more daily nighttime rituals for a good night’s sleep? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nothing heavy to eat before bed, in fact no food at all after 7pm. All digital media in cluding TV off at least 2 hours before settling to sleep. Breathing based mefitation has always helped me to destress and relax my body and mind so I go off to sleep quickly and sleep soundly.

I find some mindfulness exercises about sleeping and a hot shower works well.

I take a playaway story from the library to bed with me. The only time I wake through the night is if the battery goes flat. No 'what if's'. Works like magic.