The best songs of the 70s — which one is your favourite?

Nothing can beat the music of the 70s!

The decade saw the birth of genres such as disco and punk rock, which went on to have a huge impact on music in the years that followed.

Some of the most iconic and influential artists and bands of all time also released music during this decade, including the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Bee Gees, Pink Floyd, and ABBA.

So, whether you're a fan of dancing in a disco club or attending head-banging rock concerts, there's something for everyone in this decade of great music.

And speaking of something for everyone, we would like to share with you some of the songs that topped the year-end charts of Kent Music Report for the decade of the 70s.

Are you ready to find out how your favourite song fared?

zr3ogS0T8baKBUMByMKg4mimZS70V0dty005bdGA4HtA_Lmsjxg_U5xhgyeTNi8EgJJJpn2fCIZQ8qefkB1WumH3p0xu2QPOwQ2_WMrnlwFMXv-a78jpVYofUSzAB9gHfS1F98c

The 70s has seen the rise of some of the most influential musical acts in history including ABBA and Bee Gees. Credit: Getty Images.

1970: Let It Be - The Beatles

Credit: YouTube/The Beatles

There is no denying that The Beatles were one of the most influential bands of all time, shaping the music scene as it is today.

The band's use of unconventional recording techniques and incorporation of classical elements with rock and traditional pop music, made their music an instant classic among fans.

While it is unfortunate that The Beatles disbanded in April 1970, one of their last few singles before disbanding left a lasting impression to music fans across generations...

"Let It Be" is one of the band's most recognisable songs. Released on their 1970 album of the same name, Let It Be, the song was written and sung by Sir Paul Mccartney.

It was said that the single was his final composition for the band before announcing his departure.

McCarnet said that the song was inspired by his mother who died from cancer when he was 14.

He explained: "I had a dream in the Sixties where my mum who died came to me in a dream and was reassuring me, saying: 'It's gonna be OK. Just let it be...'"

Reference: https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/beatles/let-it-be-meaning-story-lyrics/

1971: Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool

Credit: YouTube/Daddy Cool

Daddy Cool's Eagle Rock topped the Kent Music Report charts for 10 weeks from 28th July to 30th August 1971.

The song was the lead single from the band's debut album Daddy Who? Daddy Cool, which peaked at number 1 on the KMR charts.

It was written by guitarist and vocalist Ross Wilson, who was residing and performing at London at the time of the song's conception.

In 2001, Wilson explained the inspiration behind the music, saying: "It came from a Sunday Times liftout magazine A-Z on music. In the before blues section there was an evocative photo of rural black Americans dancing in a dirt poor juke joint—the caption was along the lines of "some n***** 'cut the pigeon wing' and 'do the eagle rock'"."

The song's lasting legacy on Australian culture has earned it a spot at radio network Triple M's "Ozzest 100", ranking 21st on the "most Australian songs of all time" chart.

Reference: https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/songs-made-triple-ms-ozzest-100/
https://web.archive.org/web/20021015134957/http://www.abc.net.au/longway/episode_3/

1972: Puppy Love by Donny Osmond

Credit: YouTube/Donny Osmond

A cover of Paul Anka's original recording, Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love" became a hit in the country in 1972, peaking at number 1 at the KMR's 1972 year-end chart.

It was also said that the then-15-year-old American singer first became known in Australia and New Zealand after the song reached number 1 and number 2 at the charts of each country respectively.

In Australia, the song stayed at the top of the charts for 6 weeks from 24th July to 28th August.

Reference: https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/18377/donny-osmond/

1973: Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree by Tony Orlando and Dawn

Credit: YouTube/OrlandoDawnVEVO

Topping the KMR 1973 charts for seven consecutive weeks, Tony Orlando and Dawn's Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree is definitely one of the best pop songs of all time.

It was said that the song has a deep meaning to it — in the 19th century, American women were said to wear a yellow ribbon to express their devotion to their spouses or lovers who were serving in the US Cavalry.

Additionally, the yellow ribbon became a widely known symbol among civilians who were anticipating the return of their absent loved ones — either in the military or in jail — signifying that they were welcome to return home.

Reference: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/ribbons/ribbons.html

1974: My Coo Ca Choo by Alvin Stardust

Credit: YouTube/RHINO

The success of British musician Alvin Stardust's My Coo Ca Choo in the country is a testament to our love for rock and roll.

The song, which was the rock singer's debut single, peaked at number 1 on the KMR 1974 charts and was subsequently commemorated as the number one song of the year.

Reference: Australian Chart Book (1970-1992) - David Kent : pp380,426

1975: Fox on the Run by Sweet

Credit: YouTube/Official Sweet Channel

Another glam rock music that topped KMR's year-end chart, British rock band Sweet's Fox on the Run stayed at the top of the music charts for six consecutive weeks.

It was said that the lyrics of the song were inspired by the band's "groupies" — a group of fans who hound down bands in their concerts and public engagements in hopes that they would get to meet them.

Additionally, the term "fox" was reported to be slang at the time, which means "attractive woman".

Reference: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sweet/fox-on-the-run

1976: Fernando by ABBA

Credit: YouTube/ABBA

Who doesn't like ABBA? Their catchy records have been a staple in most clubs in the 70s and have a lasting legacy among music fans across generations.

After winning the Eurovision Song Contest — a competition which Australia started participating in in 2016 — in 1974, the iconic Swedish band shot into global superstardom, amassing a cult following across the globe.

ABBA's dominance in the music scene has made Australians fall in love with the band as evidenced by the band's numerous singles topping the music charts in the country.

In fact, the longest-charting song of the decade is ABBA's Fernando, peaking at number 1 for 14 consecutive weeks and subsequently being named the song of the decade.

The song, written by ABBA members Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, was previously recorded by Anni-Frid Lyngstad — also a member of the quartet — in 1975 for her solo album Frida ensam.

However, the following year, the band re-recorded the song and released it as one of the new tracks for their 1976 compilation album Greatest Hits.

The song has since then became one of ABBA's most successful singles, with more than six million copies sold in 1976 alone.

Additionally, the record was named one of the best-selling singles of all time after it became one of the "fewer than forty" all-time singles to have sold more than 10 million physical copies worldwide.

Reference: Karen Collins (12 January 2008). "Fernando the Flute – Details". Tagg.org. Retrieved 29 July 2009.

1977: Don't Cry for Me Argentina by Julie Covington

Credit: YouTube/Julie Covington

Written by British composer Andrew Lloyd-Webber for the musical Evita, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" is a song inspired by former Argentinian first lady Eva Peron's emotional speeches to the people of Argentina during the campaign and inauguration of her husband Juan Peron.

It was said that the song intends to capture the intensity and the emotions of the dying Eva Peron and the people of Argentina.

The song was later re-recorded by Madonna in 1995 for the film adaptation of the musical, in which she starred.

Reference: Rice, Tim (2012). Oh, What a Circus. Hachette UK. ISBN 9781444762174.

1978: You're the One That I Want by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

Credit: YouTube/VideosMusicaVEVO

Another song from a musical dominating the year-end charts, "You're the One That I Want" stayed at the top of the KMR charts for 9 weeks.

It was said that the song was written specifically for Newton-John's appearance in the film and was not originally part of the tracklist of the musical.

Reference: "Gibb Songs: 1978". www.columbia.edu. Retrieved April 9, 2018.

1979: Lay Your Love on Me by Racey

Credit: YouTube/Rareclipz

The song was said to be the British band Racey's first hit single, peaking at number 3 in the UK and at number 1 in Australia.

The single has seen more success in Down Under, however, after it was named as the number 1 song of 1979.

So, there you have it, folks! What was your favourite tune of the 70s? Share them with us in the comments below! If you enjoyed this article, let us know what type of music article you’d want to read next!

Sponsored
I just realised my favourite music us the 70s
The 70s to me from 76 on was nothing but concerts
Rolling stones
Boz scaggs
ACDC
Sherbet
Skyhooks
America
Hot chocolate
Fleetwood Mac
Don McLean
And so many more

So many amazing concerts I just wished there was such a thing as mobiles back then
A few years ago I went to a Neil Diamond concert ...Amazing and Fleetwood Mac for like the 4th time Amazing

Reactions: Ricci
Was probably the oldest guy at most big day outs and soundwaves , but Patti smith at opera house was a highlight .
at one big day out i only took $100 cash and no id . because i couldn,t prove my age they wouldn,t give me a wrist band to buy alcohol . luckily i always smuggled my own

at one big day out i only took $100 cash and no id . because i couldn,t prove my age they wouldn,t give me a wrist band to buy alcohol . luckily i always smuggled my own
I remember 1978, I was 17 and every Friday and Saturday night we would go to The Cross and venture between The Persian Room and The Palace. Both Disco's I never ever had trouble getting in or buying drinks , same as Kinselas
Me at 17 and on my usual night out

Screenshot_20221028-214559_Gallery.jpg

Totally agree. The 70s were an epic era for music! 🕺🎸 The Beatles were absolute legends, and "Let It Be" is a timeless masterpiece. It's incredible how music can touch our hearts and resonate across generations. 💖By the way, I'm still a big fan of The Beatles and often find myself jamming to their classics.Oh, and speaking of music, I've been on this journey of exploring unique instruments, and I stumbled upon the bouzouki. It's not your typical choice, but it's got such a captivating sound! Found one cool bouzouki sale if you're interested.

Last edited: