The best Christmas ham according to experts

There is less than a month left until the big day, and Aussies across the country are ready to cross out a Christmas ham from their shopping list.

To help customers make the right decisions, Australian Pork, a progressive pork organisation working to represent local pig producers, has put this year’s supermarket hams to the test.

A panel of four judges did a blind test among 20 hams from all the major supermarkets. The criteria for judging are based on the texture, tenderness, aroma, and of course, its flavour.

Surprisingly, one supermarket managed to scoop the top awards for best taste and value...

rwOPirbS-Ix2GEyCjSUl_Jub9dwhKe1SVyCVXYH3isig6lS7-iFgVwYNUrPo_OMGfKTTASu4TxeZIzNfXh1Ss8S3QAovB-1ZV-dTsep-yi5sahjI3mGgw29fZn8357EE3RdWiudL

Ham sales were reported to have increased by 20 per cent from last year as families prepare for a much-needed holiday celebration. Photo by Alex Lau via Bon Appetit.
And the winner for this year’s Australian Pork Ham Awards was Woolworths’ Double Smoked Half Leg Ham at $12.50/kg.

After meticulously tasting their way through the pork, the judges described it as having a sweet and light aroma, clean robust appearance and ‘deliciously delicate’ taste.

Woolies also won the Best Value ham with its budget-priced smoked half leg, available at $8.50 per kilo.

The free-range Berkshire full leg ham on the bone from Costco also made its mark among the judges and was awarded the Premium Buy at $19.99 per kilogram.

Here’s a breakdown of overall favourites and value at all major supermarkets:
  • Coles - Favourite and value: Beechwood Smoked Half Leg Ham at $8.50 per kilogram
  • Woolworths - Favourite: Double Smoked Half Leg Ham at $12.50 per kilogram, Value: Half Leg Ham at $8.50 per kilogram
  • Aldi - Favourite: Specially Selected Triple Smoked Ham Half Leg at $11.99 per kilogram
  • Costco - Favourite: Central Highlands Pork Ham on the Bone at $8.50 per kilogram
  • IGA - Favourite: Naturally Smoked Leg Ham at $8.50 per kilogram

lRE1Hm4oarfqfhlVTFzddoEdrdObIkK0R6kID8o_Xk6eZmnMPT_B7BV8eEVYpJUhW_qhw4xRZPnQHhW6NzYYShwiy65hpSeSOIvX-zqLm62E8cRCa5_3l07LQJBa2XgAMxiAVJlM

The Double Smoked Half Leg Ham from Woolworths has been voted the best supermarket Christmas Ham of 2021 by Australian Pork judges. Photo from Woolworths.

Australian Pork CEO Margo Andrae highlighted the importance of knowing what to choose and what to look for when buying Christmas ham.

“We know from our research that over 78 per cent of shoppers will purchase their ham from their local supermarket. With our Supermarket Ham Taste Test, we want to take the work out of choosing a ham for Australians, and provide a cheat sheet for any budget and any celebration size this year,” she said.

Jason McQuaid, Woolworths’ commercial director, said that customers may expect an increase in their top-rated hams on the shelves in the following weeks.

“With customers starting to plan their Christmas celebrations, we’re expecting more than 1.75 million kilos of our Woolworths Half Leg Ham, a 20 per cent increase from last year, to fly off the shelves in the lead up to Christmas,” he said.

Australian Pork shared a few tips on how to choose your Christmas Ham:
  • Look for a natural meaty texture: avoid wet or rubbery
  • Choose a ham with a good smoky flavour. Ask to taste it!
  • Look for smooth, even skin and even colouring. If the knuckle is sunken, it’s overcooked
  • If the rind is buckled or uneven, it’s a sign of dryness
  • Hams 10-12kg are most likely to have the best flavour and texture due to the age of the pig
  • For the best results, opt for fresh Australian pork, rather than hams made in Australia from frozen imported meat

Reactions: DEL boy
Sponsored
A shoulder ham from Bertochi is a good choice, well smoked, good mix of meat and fat, which helps when giving it that extra roast.

I would love to buy a Christmas ham but they are so big. I would be eating nothing but ham for a month. Even a half leg is too much.
Bertocchi makes very small hams which would suit you. Even if the ham is bigger than you would like, cut ham slices off and they freeze very well. I enjoy ham steak and chips. Just take the ham out, defrosts very easily, and voila!

I agree that Christmas hams are big but we solve the problem by starting on ham meals a week before Christmas Day dinner and then use the bone as a basis for a soup afterwards.

John P.

Reactions: Ricci
S
I would love to buy a Christmas ham but they are so big. I would be eating nothing but ham for a month. Even a half leg is too much.
Slice the extra ham and freeze it.. I've usually just finished last years off when it's time to buy the new one. I make ham and asparagus mornay with the chunky bits I cut out from between bones...fry thick slices with pineapple for another variation.. the rest, thin cut for sandwiches and with salads. It freezes fine.

Hi everyone,
I’m very behind on reading my emails, this one’s dated 29/11/21. 😁

I was trying to post to Facebook the article about leg hams.

Only Facebook blocked me “as I was going too fast” or words to that affect, but not via my Facebook app, was I blocked? Weird.

We only have an IGA in our little town (around an hours drive to and back from Young NSW, where’s there’s a Woolies, Aldi and another IGA) it’s well stocked with Christmas hams and roasts. My partner actually is the Store Manager. 😁
Julie1

Reactions: Ricci