The bad guys? Consumer group takes The Good Guys to court for misleading shoppers

As savvy shoppers, we all love a good deal, especially when it comes to kitting out our homes with the latest gadgets and appliances.

Promotions and store credits could be a significant drawcard to entice customers.

What happens when promised perks don't materialise as expected?

Aussie consumers ask this after recent allegations against a well-known retailer.

Electronics giant The Good Guys—which has 100 stores across Australia—faced legal action from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) over claims that it failed to deliver store credit promotions.

The ACCC's case involved 116 promotions between July 2019 and August 2023, which offered 'StoreCash'—in-store credit to customers who spent specific amounts.

According to the ACCC, the promotions led customers to believe that simply spending the required amount would earn them store credit.

Customers still had to sign up for the company's marketing messages to qualify—an unclear detail included in the promotion.

compressed-tgg.jpeg
The Good Guys has been the go-to electronics and appliances centre, with over 100 stores nationwide. Image Credit: The Good Guys

Adding to the confusion, ACCC also alleged that the store credit offered had a very short lifespan, contrary to the advertised impression that it would not expire or would last a 'reasonable period'.

'We allege that the conditions for consumers to receive a store credit as part of the Good Guys' promotions were not communicated adequately in the Good Guys' marketing materials,' ACCC Chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb stated.

'We are concerned that as a result of the alleged conduct, consumers may have purchased products from the Good Guys, which they might not have done otherwise.'

Thousands of customers who met the eligibility criteria did not receive the store credit promised by The Good Guys, which raised concerns about consumer rights.

The retailer's parent company, JB Hi-Fi, responded to the allegations by emphasising its commitment to legal compliance and customer value.

'The Good Guys takes its compliance with the law very seriously and has a comprehensive compliance program in place,' JB Hi-Fi wrote in a statement to the stock exchange.

However, due to the ongoing federal court proceedings, they are unable to comment further.

Should the court be in favour of the ACCC's allegations, affected customers could be entitled to compensation or other remedies available.

For those who participated in The Good Guys's promotions, it's essential to stay informed about the outcome of this legal action.

It reminds us of the importance of reading the fine print and understanding the terms and conditions of any promotion.

Consumers should always have the right to clear and accurate information to make informed decisions.
Key Takeaways

• The ACCC took electronic retailer The Good Guys to court over allegations about misleading store credit promotions.
  • The promotions in question enabled customers to spend a certain amount for in-store credit without any clear guidelines.
  • Many customers who met the conditions did not receive the promised store credit, as they did not sign up for marketing messages or credits that had already expired on the date of claim.
  • The Good Guys's parent company, JB Hi-Fi, stated it has a comprehensive compliance program and has cooperated with the ACCC throughout the investigation.
Have you had similar experiences with store promotions? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
We buy all our goods from Good Guy's and have always had good deals and discounts and at two different times gone for the deal to receive regular $20.00 credits for two or three years and have received them regularly no problem. I think they are great.

We have been ripped off by the so called Good Guys over a frig. - unpriced to start with and price boosted up to take advantage of govt. help which was intended for the customer not for the Sly Guys. Very bad store - avoid them at all costs!

• Sad
Reactions: Dynamo
It seems sensible that the teams designing the promotions would pay attention to details to ensure all is disclosed. I mean that is the job they are tasked to deliver.

Not doing this has placed GG in Court defence action with ACCC that will likely result in high legal costs for GG and there may be lingering damage to reputation.

Never had a problem with them.
Same here. When I moved to my now home I bought a fridge, 90cm oven, range hood, dishwasher,washing machine and heat pump dryer from GG.
All these items were on sale at the time but, on asking, I received another substantial discount and free delivery.
Staff were polite and spent quite a bit of time explaining the different pros and cons of each item.
All in all excellent service.
I think the problem is that most people don't bother to read the terms and conditions of such promotions and then blame the store for their own inaction.

I’ve bought several items from GG had a lot of issues with their concierge program..had to keep contacting them every year for the $20 store credit..and had to use it within 5 days..found this service extremely disappointing.
My hubby and I still shop there. We just don’t take out extended the concierge package.
The staff are always polite and helpful.

Same here. When I moved to my now home I bought a fridge, 90cm oven, range hood, dishwasher,washing machine and heat pump dryer from GG.
All these items were on sale at the time but, on asking, I received another substantial discount and free delivery.
Staff were polite and spent quite a bit of time explaining the different pros and cons of each item.
All in all excellent service.
I think the problem is that most people don't bother to read the terms and conditions of such promotions and then blame the store for their own inaction.
I have never had a problem with GG but just think the ACCC have taken them to court so obviously they have done something wrong

The Good Guys had signs everywhere advertising they would beat any advertised price, other shops and internet. They failed, and the best price they gave me was still $150.00 more than my best 3 prices. I just say see ya, and walked out. Never been back since.
All these promotions are just scams to get you into the store hoping you will buy something. I have never found a store that advertises to beat any price actually beat my best price.

We have been ripped off by the so called Good Guys over a frig. - unpriced to start with and price boosted up to take advantage of govt. help which was intended for the customer not for the Sly Guys. Very bad store - avoid them at all costs!
How does that work?? If an item is unpriced originally how can it be boosted if it never had a price to start with.
Doesn't make sense.
The Good Guys had signs everywhere advertising they would beat any advertised price, other shops and internet. They failed, and the best price they gave me was still $150.00 more than my best 3 prices. I just say see ya, and walked out. Never been back since.
All these promotions are just scams to get you into the store hoping you will buy something. I have never found a store that advertises to beat any price actually beat my best price.
My experience has been the opposite.
I wonder if it varies from store to store? Are these stores franchises? Could explain the different experiences people have been receiving.
On the other hand I find the service at JB hi-fi terrible, never enough staff . Can't complain about the service there isn't any to complain about .

I've never had a problem with them and their customer service is what makes me keep going back.

I just spent well over $10,000 and I think I ended up with the guy giving me around an extra $1500 off the already good prices.
Eg I purchased a Delonghi coffee machine which was $900 , he did it for $600. He took of $400 from our oven and stove top.
Plus discounted everything else as well.

We added extra warranty to two items so will receive store credit of $40 every 4 months for 5 years.

I have bought many items from Good Guys. I get either $20 or $30 every 4 to 6 weeks if I do not need any thing I can get a pack of Battery, we can always use a pack of Battery for free. I never go out with out getting some this for my store credit.

Recently, call for a warranty repair for my freezer (Hisense) internal light not working! Call the “Bad Guys” three time and call directly to Hisense two time, then Hisense said they will sent me the spare bulb with a video and I got to change myself! I’m not sure is this the way how thing work nowadays?

Recently, call for a warranty repair for my freezer (Hisense) internal light not working! Call the “Bad Guys” three time and call directly to Hisense two time, then Hisense said they will sent me the spare bulb with a video and I got to change myself! I’m not sure is this the way how thing work nowadays?
It's not the shop who covers the warranty but the actual company of the item.

If it is just a bulb or something small then yes they send it out to you. If it's more then they send out a repair person .

The Good Guys will step in if you don't get a reply from the company