'The audacity!' Tenant's plea for help with flooding ignored by landlord

It’s one of the worst nightmares for both homeowners and renters. Heavy rain pours down, and soon your home is filled with water.

But when one Sydney tenant turned to her landlord seeking a solution, her desperate plea was met with an incredibly disappointing response.

Unfortunately for many Aussies, renting a property can be a bit of a tricky terrain to navigate. Especially when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

Take Sydney resident Sophie, for instance. The mum-of-two took to TikTok to show the extent of damage to her rental home, which flooded after a downpour.

‘What rental crisis?’ She asked in the video.

rent.jpg
Sophie was less than impressed with the way her landlord handled the situation. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Sophie filmed herself walking around her daughter’s flooded bedroom while her feet splashed in water on the floor.

‘Add an additional $50 a week for the new and luxurious indoor pool,’ she quipped.

Despite the flooded room, however, Sophie said that she was most disappointed with how her landlord handled the messy situation.

‘You just need a couple of towels to soak it up and it'll be alright,’ the property manager allegedly told her.

You can watch Sophie’s video below:

In another video, Sophie revealed that she had been corresponding with her landlord since 2019 to try and arrange repairs for leaks and holes in her home.

However, she claimed that the property agent had done ‘very little’ to resolve the situation.

In an email sent last year, Sophie reported that a hole in the freshly painted ceiling was letting rain into the property. When she brought up the issue to her landlord, she received this as a response:

‘Oh dear, this is awful…I think it’s best if you mop up as much water as possible. Also put out some buckets to collect the leaks.’

rent2.jpg
Sophie shared the response she received from her landlord regarding the leaks. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

She also reported that the exhaust fan was broken, and much of the property was impacted by mould, which Sophie claimed she had to personally remove with no assistance from the real estate agency.

rent4.jpg
This is one of the emails Sophie sent to her property agent. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Just recently, the real estate agent sent Sophie an email alerting her that the property has been listed for sale.

‘We require access on Wednesday, 2nd February at 2:00 pm to take photos of the property and have the floor plan drawn up,’ the email read.

rent3.jpg
The most recent response that Sophie claims to have received from her property agent. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Despite the ongoing dispute, Sophie shared that she wants to remain on the property along with her two kids. She said that she has taken money out of her own pocket to improve the house by adding an outdoor garden.

‘My children and I have made this house our home, and ideally, I would like to stay at this property for as long as the landlord is willing to lease it out,’ she explained.

Many of her viewers quickly flooded the comments section of her video to offer the mum their support.

‘That final email left me absolutely shocked that they’d have the audacity,’ one wrote.

While another agreed and said: ‘The audacity to collect rent and never fix long-standing issues to the point that they’re just taking a bigger chunk of money and leaving the problem.’

Someone suggested that Sophie should sue the real estate agent for negligence. ‘Get them to pay you for rent you’ve paid while living there. Take them to court asap!’ They added. However, legal battles can be quite costly.

‘Tell them you have plenty of photos they can use – all of which include the natural water feature,’ another one commented.

While others advised Sophie that continuing to live in a house that’s filled with mould might negatively impact her children’s health. ‘Mould is not good for a little one’s lungs, let alone anyone else. I’d be applying for reimbursement for living in those conditions. Lucky to get out,’ they stated.

But Sophie seems to take her situation all in good stride and with a hefty amount of patience. One wanted to confirm if the landlord was obligated to make sure the property is ‘safe and liveable’. ‘Is there a tenancy board you can contact?’ They asked.

Sophie replied: ‘Safety is questionable. Is it liveable? We are all alive so statistically, yes.’

The social media user responded to her, saying that ‘liveable standards include non-hazardous environments’, and Sophie’s property currently isn’t. ‘They are 100% in the wrong here, legally.’

So, what are the rules and rights of tenants and landlords?

According to Fair Trading NSW, landlords are ‘responsible for repairing and maintaining the property so that it is in a reasonable state of repair, considering the age of the property, the amount of rent being paid, and the prospective life of the property’.

However, this does not mean that the property must be in perfect condition. Additionally, the rules differ slightly when it comes to natural disasters.

Once a property has been damaged due to a natural disaster such as floods, bushfires or storms, repairs must be carried out and the tenant and landlord must agree as to whether the tenant stays at the property or not.

After repairs have been made, and if the tenant decides to stay, a new agreement must be signed which could result in a higher rental price. Additionally, if complaints remain unresolved, they may file a complaint with Fair Trading by calling 13 32 20 or accessing more resources here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney tenant has blasted her landlord online after receiving a disappointing response via email after her home became flooded.
  • Sophie claims her landlord said she just needed a couple of towels to soak up the water.
  • Other TikTok users flooded the comments section to offer Sophie support.
  • According to Fair Trading NSW, landlords are responsible for repairing and maintaining the property to a reasonable state of repair. They must also enter into a new agreement with their tenant after a property is damaged due to a natural disaster.
If you were Sophie, how would you have handled the situation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
It’s one of the worst nightmares for both homeowners and renters. Heavy rain pours down, and soon your home is filled with water.

But when one Sydney tenant turned to her landlord seeking a solution, her desperate plea was met with an incredibly disappointing response.

Unfortunately for many Aussies, renting a property can be a bit of a tricky terrain to navigate. Especially when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

Take Sydney resident Sophie, for instance. The mum-of-two took to TikTok to show the extent of damage to her rental home, which flooded after a downpour.

View attachment 13629
Sophie was less than impressed with the way her landlord handled the situation. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Sophie filmed herself walking around her daughter’s flooded bedroom while her feet splashed in water on the floor.

‘Add an additional $50 a week for the new and luxurious indoor pool,’ she quipped.

Despite the flooded room, however, Sophie said that she was most disappointed with how her landlord handled the messy situation.

‘You just need a couple of towels to soak it up and it'll be alright,’ the property manager allegedly told her.

In another video, Sophie revealed that she had been corresponding with her landlord since 2019 to try and arrange repairs for leaks and holes in her home.

However, she claimed that the property agent had done ‘very little’ to resolve the situation.

In an email sent last year, Sophie reported that a hole in the freshly painted ceiling was letting rain into the property. When she brought up the issue to her landlord, she received this as a response:

‘Oh dear, this is awful…I think it’s best if you mop up as much water as possible. Also put out some buckets to collect the leaks.’

View attachment 13630
Sophie shared the response she received from her landlord regarding the leaks. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

She also reported that the exhaust fan was broken, and much of the property was impacted by mould, which Sophie claimed she had to personally remove with no assistance from the real estate agency.

View attachment 13632
This is one of the emails Sophie sent to her property agent. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Just recently, the real estate agent sent Sophie an email alerting her that the property has been listed for sale.

‘We require access on Wednesday, 2nd February at 2:00 pm to take photos of the property and have the floor plan drawn up,’ the email read.

View attachment 13631
The most recent response that Sophie claims to have received from her property agent. Credit: soph.tik/TikTok

Despite the ongoing dispute, Sophie shared that she wants to remain on the property along with her two kids. She said that she has taken money out of her own pocket to improve the house by adding an outdoor garden.

‘My children and I have made this house our home, and ideally, I would like to stay at this property for as long as the landlord is willing to lease it out,’ she explained.

Many of her viewers quickly flooded the comments section of her video to offer the mum their support.

‘That final email left me absolutely shocked that they’d have the audacity,’ one wrote.

While another agreed and said: ‘The audacity to collect rent and never fix long-standing issues to the point that they’re just taking a bigger chunk of money and leaving the problem.’

Someone suggested that Sophie should sue the real estate agent for negligence. ‘Get them to pay you for rent you’ve paid while living there. Take them to court asap!’ They added. However, legal battles can be quite costly.

‘Tell them you have plenty of photos they can use – all of which include the natural water feature,’ another one commented.

While others advised Sophie that continuing to live in a house that’s filled with mould might negatively impact her children’s health. ‘Mould is not good for a little one’s lungs, let alone anyone else. I’d be applying for reimbursement for living in those conditions. Lucky to get out,’ they stated.

But Sophie seems to take her situation all in good stride and with a hefty amount of patience. One wanted to confirm if the landlord was obligated to make sure the property is ‘safe and liveable’. ‘Is there a tenancy board you can contact?’ They asked.

Sophie replied: ‘Safety is questionable. Is it liveable? We are all alive so statistically, yes.’

The social media user responded to her, saying that ‘liveable standards include non-hazardous environments’, and Sophie’s property currently isn’t. ‘They are 100% in the wrong here, legally.’

According to Fair Trading NSW, landlords are ‘responsible for repairing and maintaining the property so that it is in a reasonable state of repair, considering the age of the property, the amount of rent being paid, and the prospective life of the property’.

However, this does not mean that the property must be in perfect condition. Additionally, the rules differ slightly when it comes to natural disasters.

Once a property has been damaged due to a natural disaster such as floods, bushfires or storms, repairs must be carried out and the tenant and landlord must agree as to whether the tenant stays at the property or not.

After repairs have been made, and if the tenant decides to stay, a new agreement must be signed which could result in a higher rental price. Additionally, if complaints remain unresolved, they may file a complaint with Fair Trading by calling 13 32 20 or accessing more resources here.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney tenant has blasted her landlord online after receiving a disappointing response via email after her home became flooded.
  • Sophie claims her landlord said she just needed a couple of towels to soak up the water.
  • According to Fair Trading NSW, landlords are responsible for repairing and maintaining the property to a reasonable state of repair. They must also enter into a new agreement with their tenant after a property is damaged due to a natural disaster.
If you were Sophie, how would you have handled the situation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

I also have a landlord and letting agent who doesn’t like making repairs or going maintenance. Despite continual complaints over the past 15 years that my outside laundry fluids when it rains and is now imploding from rot the ongoing advice is to (a) only do laundry in dry weather and (b) spend as little time in it as possible. The fact that our back and side fences have now collapsed and our bathroom cabinet - obtaining the basins and the only available towel storage - has rotted away due ti a water leak that we were told was not worth bothering about, is considered an irrelevancy. Problem is … this really is our home. We’ve been here for 25 years during which time we’ve celebrated our children’s marriages and grandchildren’s births and birthdays, and responded to family deaths and funerals from and in here. We do not want to leave and acutely know that, in the current rental crisis, we cannot push any more for these necessary repairs to be done for fear of eviction. Politicians continually express sympathy for mortgage payers but renters - particularly those on a pension - who are rapidly becoming the ones who need attention and solutions.

I also have a landlord and letting agent who doesn’t like making repairs or going maintenance. Despite continual complaints over the past 15 years that my outside laundry fluids when it rains and is now imploding from rot the ongoing advice is to (a) only do laundry in dry weather and (b) spend as little time in it as possible. The fact that our back and side fences have now collapsed and our bathroom cabinet - obtaining the basins and the only available towel storage - has rotted away due ti a water leak that we were told was not worth bothering about, is considered an irrelevancy. Problem is … this really is our home. We’ve been here for 25 years during which time we’ve celebrated our children’s marriages and grandchildren’s births and birthdays, and responded to family deaths and funerals from and in here. We do not want to leave and acutely know that, in the current rental crisis, we cannot push any more for these necessary repairs to be done for fear of eviction. Politicians continually express sympathy for mortgage payers but renters - particularly those on a pension - who are rapidly becoming the ones who need attention and solutions.
Wow this could be my story too sadly. I have lived in my current rental for 23 years and the property manager is totally inept at her job. Here in Victoria we have laws stating compulsory safety checks must be done on the gas and electricity every two years. The gas check involves checking appliances for safety as well. I had my six-monthly property inspection last week and told them that the gas safety check had not been done (even though every other flat in the block had been done over 12 months ago) and she rang the plumber while she was here. I could hear both sides of the conversation and he said "oh I did a quick check outside but I didn't go inside and do the appliances ... they can wait until next time" and she said OK even though she knows the gas oven intermittently turns itself off! She sent me an email when she got back to the office saying as far as she was concerned the gas safety check has been completed.
On top of that there was a tree outside my bathroom window that needed trimming but she decided to chop it down completely which has resulted in a shocking glare issue for a few hours in the morning and late afternoon. It really has the same effect as driving directly into the sun when you walk in there as you get sun spots in front of your eyes and cannot see a thing and it is a safety hazard. Her response when I asked if something could be done? She told me not to use the bathroom during those hours!
As a pensioner I am also too scared to make waves in case of eviction. She has told me in the past that tenants have too many rights and it is too hard to get rid of them but she has a "secret weapon" and just increases the rent by large amounts if she wants someone out ... that is a huge threat to someone on a limited income!

A lot of the issues like this arise from the real estate agents who manage the properties. They are the ones that are supposed to advise the landlords that the property needs repairs but a lot of them are so busy sucking up to the landlords that they lose sight of the fact that the tenants have rights too. This is only made worse by the fact that there is a housing shortage. It is very difficult when you are in fear of losing the place you live if you complain. The Department of Fair Trading deals with this but the risk of losing you place is still there.
There are a lot of bad tenants out there but the bad landlords are just as prolific. I've been on both sides of the fence and would never have a rental property again after a bunch of middle eastern people trashed my rental property and wouldn't leave. The agent did nothing so I had to get them out myself.
In the end I got them out but the state of my house was heart breaking.

Several years ago, I was renting a first-floor unit. It also was flooded when a storm happened and I was walking through water. The landlord came and looked and his advice was to just let the carpet dry out. As a result, mould developed and I ended up in hospital with what I thought was pneumonia but was most likely caused from the mould. There was a leak in the bathroom over the toilet from the unit upstairs. I complained and complained and after 5 years, the leak was still not fixed. A colleague I worked with, her husband owned a real estate business. She told me what to do. I wrote a letter and gave it to the receptionist at the real estate office. The letter was polite, nothing that could come back to me. I told the landlord that unless the leak was fixed within one month of receiving this letter, that I would be reporting the real estate to the NSW Ombudsman and the Rental Bond Board. Three weeks later the leak was repaired, and then I moved out a few weeks later. It worked and worked quickly. Apparently, the one thing the Rental Bond Board takes seriously is mould as it can be dangerous and a killer. Report it.

View attachment 13629

View attachment 13630

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13631

Key Takeaways

Only ever had one problem with a rental in Victoria, On Monday the government authority gave them, the landlord 48 hours to address the problem. The problem was solved on Wednesday that week.

Several years ago, I was renting a first-floor unit. It also was flooded when a storm happened and I was walking through water. The landlord came and looked and his advice was to just let the carpet dry out. As a result, mould developed and I ended up in hospital with what I thought was pneumonia but was most likely caused from the mould. There was a leak in the bathroom over the toilet from the unit upstairs. I complained and complained and after 5 years, the leak was still not fixed. A colleague I worked with, her husband owned a real estate business. She told me what to do. I wrote a letter and gave it to the receptionist at the real estate office. The letter was polite, nothing that could come back to me. I told the landlord that unless the leak was fixed within one month of receiving this letter, that I would be reporting the real estate to the NSW Ombudsman and the Rental Bond Board. Three weeks later the leak was repaired, and then I moved out a few weeks later. It worked and worked quickly. Apparently, the one thing the Rental Bond Board takes seriously is mould as it can be dangerous and a killer. Report it.
It's unfortunate that you have to hit them over the head with a cricket bat to get their attention when you've been knocking on their door for ages. What gets me is how "surprised" they are when you take action because you have to when it could be solved easily with a bit of empathy. A lot of times it's the agent that is at fault. They just want their 7%, or whatever it is now, without doing a thing.

We owned a rental property many years ago. It was managed by an agent, but we told her to give the tenants our phone number if there were any problems. We lived nearby and my Husband attended immediately to any issues himself. Tenants should be able to have problems fixed asap. in our opinion.

View attachment 13629

View attachment 13630

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13631

Key Takeaways

After many years of renting I came to the conclusion that in a lot of cases, where repairs or replacement fixtures are needed it is the property managers who are the problem not the owner. Yes I have been lucky in scoring some managers who cared for their Tenants but the bad ones have far outweighed the good, most of the time the managers have so many properties to manage that all their tenants become the enemy who are determined to cause problems.
that said I can also relate problems with Landlords who really did not give a damn , just wanted the rent paid, like the one, who,when being told that the pump bringing water into the house (on a rural property) had died and would need to be replaced told the manager to tell the tenants to use buckets to collect the water from the tanks as needed. We also had rain pouring through a large picture window in the lounge because the window seal was old and had failed, like Sophie from the story above we were also told to use towels to mop up the water that was soaking the carpet. That place was a joy to rent honestly, we finally gave up and did not renew the lease when the entire ceiling in the family room collapsed and the owner refused to have it repaired as it would be too costly !!! When speaking with the property manager as we moved out she informed us that the owner had instructed the agency to put the property on the market as it was, with no repairs done!!

We owned a rental property many years ago. It was managed by an agent, but we told her to give the tenants our phone number if there were any problems. We lived nearby and my Husband attended immediately to any issues himself. Tenants should be able to have problems fixed asap. in our opinion.
I did the same with my property. The first lot of renters were great. We spoke directly if there were any problems and became friends. I didn't put up their rent as preferred good, long term tenants. I was devastated when they moved interstate for a really good job opportunity.
The next tenants were a nightmare. After the good tenants moved out I spent over a month renovating the place, polished floor, new paint throughout, a new kitchen and updated the pool fencing because it was OK for adults but, in my opinion, not safe for kids.Within 6 months they destroyed the pool fence, the pool was green put holes in the walls with door handles, scratched the new polished floor and the kitchen was disgusting. The property manager lied on the inspection report and I was overseas so had to take their word.
When I returned and looked at the house I was in tears. I wanted the out, right then and there, they refused and the property manager was of the same culture. He took their side and "lost" all the photos. I had taken photographic record of the whole reno process. I had to personally get them out of the house.I can't say how, let's say I was skirting the law.

The agent gave them their bond back. I went to Fair Trading and won substantial damages but never saw a cent as the tenant disappeared. When collecting the mail after they left was letters of demand from various debt collectors, even an Islamic school so I was not the only one duped.

That was it for me. I sold the place.

• Wow
Reactions: Rosalie30 and MHM

View attachment 13629

View attachment 13630

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13631

Key Takeaways

The reports concerning Sophie's dilemma are not necessarily complete. For example, it is not clear whether Sophie acted reasonably to protect herself and her children from the effects of rainwater entry during the storm.
From my reading, it does seem that Sophie notified the landlord's agent and then simply waited for someone else to do something. It is not unusual for rainwater to enter residential properties during storm conditions, particularly in sub-tropical areas, such as Sydney.
Whilst I am in agreement with many respondents that the landlord has an obligation (legally under the terms of the lease, and morally within the ambit of reasonableness) to maintain the premises in good and inhabitable condition), the landlord cannot be expected to protect the tenant from such natural events as tropical storms and such.
In that circumstance a tenant must be prepared to look to its own efforts to deal with the immediate effects of the event and allow the landlord to rectify structural damage as soon as possible after the event.

• Love
Reactions: JedCorella
I did the same with my property. The first lot of renters were great. We spoke directly if there were any problems and became friends. I didn't put up their rent as preferred good, long term tenants. I was devastated when they moved interstate for a really good job opportunity.
The next tenants were a nightmare. After the good tenants moved out I spent over a month renovating the place, polished floor, new paint throughout, a new kitchen and updated the pool fencing because it was OK for adults but, in my opinion, not safe for kids.Within 6 months they destroyed the pool fence, the pool was green put holes in the walls with door handles, scratched the new polished floor and the kitchen was disgusting. The property manager lied on the inspection report and I was overseas so had to take their word.
When I returned and looked at the house I was in tears. I wanted the out, right then and there, they refused and the property manager was of the same culture. He took their side and "lost" all the photos. I had taken photographic record of the whole reno process. I had to personally get them out of the house.I can't say how, let's say I was skirting the law.

The agent gave them their bond back. I went to Fair Trading and won substantial damages but never saw a cent as the tenant disappeared. When collecting the mail after they left was letters of demand from various debt collectors, even an Islamic school so I was not the only one duped.

That was it for me. I sold the place.
Such are the exigencies of property ownership.

The reports concerning Sophie's dilemma are not necessarily complete. For example, it is not clear whether Sophie acted reasonably to protect herself and her children from the effects of rainwater entry during the storm.
From my reading, it does seem that Sophie notified the landlord's agent and then simply waited for someone else to do something. It is not unusual for rainwater to enter residential properties during storm conditions, particularly in sub-tropical areas, such as Sydney.
Whilst I am in agreement with many respondents that the landlord has an obligation (legally under the terms of the lease, and morally within the ambit of reasonableness) to maintain the premises in good and inhabitable condition), the landlord cannot be expected to protect the tenant from such natural events as tropical storms and such.
In that circumstance a tenant must be prepared to look to its own efforts to deal with the immediate effects of the event and allow the landlord to rectify structural damage as soon as possible after the event.
Absolutely. As a tenant you have the responsibility to maintain the house properly. There are always two sides to a story.

Absolutely. As a tenant you have the responsibility to maintain the house properly. There are always two sides to a story.
Wrong. Maintenance issues, providing the tenant has not caused the damage, are the owner's responsibility. In fact, if a tenant does repair an issue the owner can breach them if they so wish.

Reactions: Rosalie30
What an appalling situation to be in, I feel so sorry for you, your landlord should be ashamed of themselves.
I hope kharma comes back to bite them on the bum.

Reactions: Rosalie30

View attachment 13629

View attachment 13630

View attachment 13632

View attachment 13631

Key Takeaways