The “genius” ZERO-WASTE HACK every peanut butter lover should know

Picture this: You’re looking forward to a delicious peanut butter sandwich after a long day and you come home to a jar that contains nothing more than a few impossible scrapings.

Looking forward to something all day, only to find none left is an absolute pain right? Well if you are a fellow peanut butter lover, then this hack is something you have to check out.

Chef Rachel Mansfield has shared her simple hack for getting the last bit of peanut butter out of the jar using one handy utensil.

Taking to TikTok, the mum revealed that she uses a spatula to reach every bit of peanut butter inside the jar.

Credit: TikTok/@rachlmansfield

The video starts with a close-up shot of a near-empty jar, showing the bits of peanut butter stuck to the edges of the jar.

Most people would deem this jar empty. But for Rachel, this is an opportunity to show off her zero-waste hack.

“This, my friends, is how you finish a jar of peanut butter," the chef says in the clip while sticking a spatula into the jar.

Rachel then scraped off the bits of peanut butter from the jar using the spatula.

She explains: “Take your spatula and brush all the outsides.”

"It's the easiest."

The shot then focuses on Mansfield teasing her husband, adding a bit of humour in the tutorial video.

“My husband’s favourite pastime is watching me do this for … the bottom of the jar,” the mum says as she removes the peanut butter from the jar.

“Jordan, wouldn’t you agree?”

Her husband, who is standing somewhere off the screen, answers: “Classic Rachel right there.”

“Literally, nothing brings me more happiness than doing this,” Rachel quips as she shows the peanut butter jar in front of the camera, revealing that it is now mostly clean and empty.

Rachel ends the video by taking one last bite of the peanut butter, exclaiming: "spatula trick works every time!"

D8zEmZxFo8bp1hiAY_cNRdX0gc15fhdES4WEZ6otAhAKwaklCKMpvYiGGimIFsXSbNIiXIx1uKqPPquIC0UzNPxFVaDfCXh-lMyK-MWLVGWkQUVXjjaZpbV1wSkn4g2nAYObcT4
4rpCkGeYt3Y93FbY2PyGSO7MUkPl0LjIj1PwaQir9shiXNpiZr7lrdgSrl-vIQgvHOW1UrIWnuz-Gf-goJJonCwwCmrG40cdx-iprDDr8OojIGuFScfudVB4AhosJu6iihNMaCU

Chef Rachel revealed that all you need is a spatula to empty your peanut butter jar. Credit: TikTok/@rachlmansfield.

TikTok users sang their praises for the hack, labelling it "genius".

One user wrote: “Can’t let any peanut butter go to waste!”

Others offered their suggestions on how to maximise the use of peanut butter stuck inside the jar.

One person suggested: "You can also make overnight oats inside [the jar]."

How about you? Do you know of any other hacks for emptying your jar of peanut butter? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Sponsored
I do this with the peanut butter.....waste not, want not!
With Vegemite, to the 'empty' jar, I add some boiling water which has cooled a bit, stir, and pour that into gravy for extra flavour.
With sauce, to the 'empty' bottle, add some boiling water which has cooled a bit, give it a shake and add that when making sauce for spaghetti.
For mayonnaise, add a little bit of vinegar, gives good shake, add to salad as dressing.
For jam, heat gently for about 30 seconds in the microwave so the bits on the side run to the bottom, making it easy to scoop up the last of it.
Clean containers are easier to wash up for recycling.

Last edited:

Picture this: You’re looking forward to a delicious peanut butter sandwich after a long day and you come home to a jar that contains nothing more than a few impossible scrapings.

Looking forward to something all day, only to find none left is an absolute pain right? Well if you are a fellow peanut butter lover, then this hack is something you have to check out.

Chef Rachel Mansfield has shared her simple hack for getting the last bit of peanut butter out of the jar using one handy utensil.

Taking to TikTok, the mum revealed that she uses a spatula to reach every bit of peanut butter inside the jar.

The video starts with a close-up shot of a near-empty jar, showing the bits of peanut butter stuck to the edges of the jar.

Most people would deem this jar empty. But for Rachel, this is an opportunity to show off her zero-waste hack.

“This, my friends, is how you finish a jar of peanut butter," the chef says in the clip while sticking a spatula into the jar.

Rachel then scraped off the bits of peanut butter from the jar using the spatula.

"It's the easiest."

The shot then focuses on Mansfield teasing her husband, adding a bit of humour in the tutorial video.

“My husband’s favourite pastime is watching me do this for … the bottom of the jar,” the mum says as she removes the peanut butter from the jar.

Her husband, who is standing somewhere off the screen, answers: “Classic Rachel right there.”

“Literally, nothing brings me more happiness than doing this,” Rachel quips as she shows the peanut butter jar in front of the camera, revealing that it is now mostly clean and empty.

Rachel ends the video by taking one last bite of the peanut butter, exclaiming: "spatula trick works every time!"

D8zEmZxFo8bp1hiAY_cNRdX0gc15fhdES4WEZ6otAhAKwaklCKMpvYiGGimIFsXSbNIiXIx1uKqPPquIC0UzNPxFVaDfCXh-lMyK-MWLVGWkQUVXjjaZpbV1wSkn4g2nAYObcT4
4rpCkGeYt3Y93FbY2PyGSO7MUkPl0LjIj1PwaQir9shiXNpiZr7lrdgSrl-vIQgvHOW1UrIWnuz-Gf-goJJonCwwCmrG40cdx-iprDDr8OojIGuFScfudVB4AhosJu6iihNMaCU

Chef Rachel revealed that all you need is a spatula to empty your peanut butter jar. Credit: TikTok/@rachlmansfield.

Others offered their suggestions on how to maximise the use of peanut butter stuck inside the jar.

How about you? Do you know of any other hacks for emptying your jar of peanut butter? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

That's exactly what I have been doing for years. As you say, can't leave any behind. That's wasteful 😄

I have always scraped the last bit of any food out of a jar, waste not want not .A few years ago i bought a long handle scraper from a kitchenware, shop this leaves nothing in the jar & is such a useful gadget. A scraper was known in our house as a meanie because when used to scrape out the mixture after mixing a cake it left nothing for the children to scrape out of the bowl .

Last edited:

"It's the easiest."

Good thinking, I generally put warm water in the jar shake well and leave to cool the same with the Vegemite store in the refrigerator to use as flavour bases in cooking satays and casserole

I always do this with peanut butter with a spoon or knife can't stand leaving any in jar will use spatula from now on

Reactions: Tervueren

"It's the easiest."

It seems that the younger generation have never had to stretch the family budget to the absolute maximum. Even do it to the margarine contains and every other jar or bottle.