The ‘truth’ behind Allen's Fantales' disappearance from shelves—was it a conspiracy?

For nearly a century, Australians have enjoyed the delicious taste of Allen's Fantales. These chocolate-covered caramel treats, featuring movie trivia on their wrappers, have become a significant part of our shared cultural experience.

But the confectionery landscape has suddenly shifted with the revelation that Allen's, now owned by Nestlé, has decided to discontinue Fantales. Read more about it here.

compressed-photo (1).jpeg
Nestlé has announced that it will cease production of the beloved Australian classic lolly, Fantales, in July. Source: SunshineConfectionery/Instagram

The official explanation provided by Allen's is that sales of the beloved treat had been in decline and that the manufacturing equipment used to produce them was breaking down— both of which sound plausible enough.

However, it didn't take long for conspiracy theories to begin swirling, with some suggesting that the discontinuation announcement was merely a publicity stunt designed to revive interest in the beloved lolly.

The 'publicity stunt' theory first emerged on social media, gaining momentum after being picked up and discussed on national television by Sunrise host Natalie Barr on Wednesday morning.

'Was this whole thing just a publicity stunt?' she asked during an interview with popular snack food critic Russ Eats.

Russ Eats noted that it was 'a bit odd' for Allen's to announce the discontinuation via a press statement when such news is typically 'leaked' by an employee.

He suggested that the announcement could be a tactic to warn consumers to buy more Fantales or risk losing the lolly for good, a sentiment that Barr seemed to support with her remark, 'Let's hope it's a publicity stunt.'

If this was, indeed, a ploy to boost sales, it appears that it worked wonders for Allen's. According to Russ Eats, 'I went to Woolies and Coles, and there were empty boxes everywhere because people flocked to buy the last Fantales.'

Thousands of Fantales enthusiasts have cried out in protest online, urging Nestlé to reconsider their decision. Many find it hard to believe that a household staple like Fantales could suffer a decline in sales, as they're often sold out in stores.

'I love them, but they are never on the shelf! I'm always looking for them!' claimed one frustrated lover of the lolly.

compressed-Fantales-resized-hr-white_1.jpeg
It's hard to believe that a popular household staple like Fantales could experience declining sales, considering their frequent sell-outs in stores. Source: Nestlé Australia

In response to the 'stunt' theory, a Nestlé spokeswoman clarified on Wednesday, saying, 'Sadly, it’s not a media stunt. Our last bag of Fantales will roll down the line in mid-July, and then they'll be available in-store only while stocks last.'

While fans mourn the loss of this iconic Australian lolly, the company assures that the Fantales production-line workers will not lose their jobs, as they will be given other roles within the factory.

Andrew Lawrey, an Allen's spokesman, expressed his understanding of the nostalgia surrounding Fantales but also reiterated the reasoning behind the decision.

'People simply aren't buying them as often as they used to. In addition, our Fantales equipment needs significant investment. It's become increasingly difficult to get the parts we need to maintain it and with declining sales, replacing it isn't viable.'

Key Takeaways
  • Allen's announced the discontinuation of Fantales, sparking a conspiracy theory that it's a publicity stunt to revive interest in the product.
  • Allen's cited declining sales and equipment breakdown as reasons for discontinuing the chocolate-covered caramel treat.
  • Some theorists questioned the announcement method, suggesting that news like this would usually be 'leaked' by an employee.
  • Nestlé denied the conspiracy theory, confirming that the last bag of Fantales will be produced in mid-July and available in stores only while stocks last.
So, conspiracy or not, the curtain may be closing on Allen's Fantales. Regardless of the cause, it's a sad farewell to a lolly that has given generations of Aussies sweet memories.

We encourage you to stock up on your favourite treat while you can—and reminisce on the good ol' days while enjoying a treat or two.

Members, do you believe the discontinuation of Allen's Fantales was a genuine decision based on declining sales and equipment issues, or do you think there might be more to the story?

Share your thoughts and theories on the conspiracy surrounding the disappearance of this beloved Australian lolly.

Sponsored
I would believe it. Machinery does not last forever and I’m sure they would have squeezed every bit of use out of it. The cost to replace it today would be astronomical.

Ah! Such biting and important information reported on Commercial 'NEWS'. As seen on 'social media'. That's the source of their news? No wonder people stop watching such tripe. A better way to gauge if Nestle's decision is based on evidence is for us to ask ourselves when was the last time you purchased a pack?

First thought in my head on hearing the news was "When was the last time I bought a pack?"; the answer was something like "1975".... right about the time I ceased caring about the bios written on the wrappers. Back then, there was still a 'Star' system with recognisable stars about whom people were genuinely interested to read; compare and contrast with the myriad Neville Nobodies of the current era, each one famous for 15 poofteenths of a second and just as quickly receding into well-earned obscurity. Who REAAAALLY wants to read about the butt-size of whichever of the Kardashians has broken their diet (eating Fantales, perhaps?)?

First thought in my head on hearing the news was "When was the last time I bought a pack?"; the answer was something like "1975".... right about the time I ceased caring about the bios written on the wrappers. Back then, there was still a 'Star' system with recognisable stars about whom people were genuinely interested to read; compare and contrast with the myriad Neville Nobodies of the current era, each one famous for 15 poofteenths of a second and just as quickly receding into well-earned obscurity. Who REAAAALLY wants to read about the butt-size of whichever of the Kardashians has broken their diet (eating Fantales, perhaps?)?
If only they could get the "Dumbassians" to buy them , they would have to increase production.

I haven’t seen a packet of fantails for years in the supermarket. Maybe they were there but I just didn’t see them through all those cheap tasteless rubbery lollies that are on offer these days.

I don’t know about a conspiracy???
Don’t hold your breath waiting for the fantail to return.
Arnotts deleted Lattice biscuits from their line a while ago, and my easy make vanilla slices are not the same made with SAOs. So don’t make the slices anymore. Lost sales for them, lost weight for me. A win for me 😉

Reactions: Wandiwa
For nearly a century, Australians have enjoyed the delicious taste of Allen's Fantales. These chocolate-covered caramel treats, featuring movie trivia on their wrappers, have become a significant part of our shared cultural experience.

But the confectionery landscape has suddenly shifted with the revelation that Allen's, now owned by Nestlé, has decided to discontinue Fantales. Read more about it here.

View attachment 23082
Nestlé has announced that it will cease production of the beloved Australian classic lolly, Fantales, in July. Source: SunshineConfectionery/Instagram

The official explanation provided by Allen's is that sales of the beloved treat had been in decline and that the manufacturing equipment used to produce them was breaking down— both of which sound plausible enough.

However, it didn't take long for conspiracy theories to begin swirling, with some suggesting that the discontinuation announcement was merely a publicity stunt designed to revive interest in the beloved lolly.

The 'publicity stunt' theory first emerged on social media, gaining momentum after being picked up and discussed on national television by Sunrise host Natalie Barr on Wednesday morning.

'Was this whole thing just a publicity stunt?' she asked during an interview with popular snack food critic Russ Eats.

Russ Eats noted that it was 'a bit odd' for Allen's to announce the discontinuation via a press statement when such news is typically 'leaked' by an employee.

He suggested that the announcement could be a tactic to warn consumers to buy more Fantales or risk losing the lolly for good, a sentiment that Barr seemed to support with her remark, 'Let's hope it's a publicity stunt.'

If this was, indeed, a ploy to boost sales, it appears that it worked wonders for Allen's. According to Russ Eats, 'I went to Woolies and Coles, and there were empty boxes everywhere because people flocked to buy the last Fantales.'

Thousands of Fantales enthusiasts have cried out in protest online, urging Nestlé to reconsider their decision. Many find it hard to believe that a household staple like Fantales could suffer a decline in sales, as they're often sold out in stores.

'I love them, but they are never on the shelf! I'm always looking for them!' claimed one frustrated lover of the lolly.

View attachment 23084
It's hard to believe that a popular household staple like Fantales could experience declining sales, considering their frequent sell-outs in stores. Source: Nestlé Australia

In response to the 'stunt' theory, a Nestlé spokeswoman clarified on Wednesday, saying, 'Sadly, it’s not a media stunt. Our last bag of Fantales will roll down the line in mid-July, and then they'll be available in-store only while stocks last.'

While fans mourn the loss of this iconic Australian lolly, the company assures that the Fantales production-line workers will not lose their jobs, as they will be given other roles within the factory.

Andrew Lawrey, an Allen's spokesman, expressed his understanding of the nostalgia surrounding Fantales but also reiterated the reasoning behind the decision.

'People simply aren't buying them as often as they used to. In addition, our Fantales equipment needs significant investment. It's become increasingly difficult to get the parts we need to maintain it and with declining sales, replacing it isn't viable.'

Key Takeaways

• Allen's announced the discontinuation of Fantales, sparking a conspiracy theory that it's a publicity stunt to revive interest in the product.
  • Allen's cited declining sales and equipment breakdown as reasons for discontinuing the chocolate-covered caramel treat.
  • Some theorists questioned the announcement method, suggesting that news like this would usually be 'leaked' by an employee.
  • Nestlé denied the conspiracy theory, confirming that the last bag of Fantales will be produced in mid-July and available in stores only while stocks last.
So, conspiracy or not, the curtain may be closing on Allen's Fantales. Regardless of the cause, it's a sad farewell to a lolly that has given generations of Aussies sweet memories.

We encourage you to stock up on your favourite treat while you can—and reminisce on the good ol' days while enjoying a treat or two.

Members, do you believe the discontinuation of Allen's Fantales was a genuine decision based on declining sales and equipment issues, or do you think there might be more to the story?

Share your thoughts and theories on the conspiracy surrounding the disappearance of this beloved Australian lolly.

Coles in WA have plenty and are currently discounted from $5 to $4.
Not cheap considering they are only 160g bags.