That’s life with Pete – Easter in Australia

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Peter M.

The supermarkets give us ample warning that Easter is approaching. As soon as the Christmas decorations are put into storage, hot cross buns, chocolate novelties and eggs of all sizes and colours are given highly visible promotional locations throughout the stores.

For some people, this is what the season of Easter is all about. For others, it’s a chance to get away from work to enjoy the break with family and friends. While the blocked highways might be a bit trying on our patience, Easter is a favourite time for campers, and we see a great exodus out of our cities to enjoy a bush setting, either in the ‘rough,’ in the humble tent or camper trailer or with all the trimmings, including the kitchen sink, in a ‘glamping’ situation.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I'm a Christian and give thanks and remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus every day .

I don't celebrate Easter due to being a Christian and knowing how Easter is actually a pagan tradition .

Easter has nothing to do with Christianity and the crucifixion of Jesus.
Easter is a pagan Spring festival
that dates back long before Christ. The feast day of Easter was first a pagan holiday of renewal and rebirth. Honored in the early spring, it praised the pagan goddess of fertility and spring known as 'Ostara', 'Eastre' or 'Eostre'.
The naming of the celebration as “Easter” seems to go back to the name of a pre-Christian goddess in England, Eostre, who was celebrated at beginning of spring.

There is no mention in the bible of Easter, the closest thing is passover and even that doesn't come close

Corinthians 15:3-8: "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance. Or you at the first: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas.

My final thought to you is what does bunnies, chocolate eggs and hot cross buns have to do with the Crucifixion of Jesus .

It's great to fast, to remember and give thanks for him dying for our sins 🙏

Every Easter, I remember yet again the teachings of Jesus, His triumphant entry into the city on Palm Sunday, His death in the cross when He died for everyone and this is followed by His joyful resurrection as promised, on the third day. Good Friday has always been a service in the morning followed by one hot cross bun when we arrived home. That would have been the financial limit for my parents before the days of mass-produced buns from the end of December! As children, on Easter Day we were always given one egg, that empty egg signifying the empty tomb from which Christ had risen. A church service was and still is, attended. To sing with gusto, “Jesus Christ is risen today, Hallelujah!” When our children woke on Easter Day, they found paw prints (talc powder) on the stairs that led to the eggs We had hidden. I still have the map drawn one year so they could seek and find! Jesus is my Lord and saviour and for that I am grateful. Jan

I'm a Christian and give thanks and remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus every day .

I don't celebrate Easter due to being a Christian and knowing how Easter is actually a pagan tradition .

that dates back long before Christ. The feast day of Easter was first a pagan holiday of renewal and rebirth. Honored in the early spring, it praised the pagan goddess of fertility and spring known as 'Ostara', 'Eastre' or 'Eostre'.
The naming of the celebration as “Easter” seems to go back to the name of a pre-Christian goddess in England, Eostre, who was celebrated at beginning of spring.

There is no mention in the bible of Easter, the closest thing is passover and even that doesn't come close

Corinthians 15:3-8: "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance. Or you at the first: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas.

My final thought to you is what does bunnies, chocolate eggs and hot cross buns have to do with the Crucifixion of Jesus .

I feel so sorry for people who believe in the mythical person called Jesus. There is no one to look up to who that is real & as there is no person that is God either' yes you have it right that Easter was a Pagan festival that celebrated women but male society demanded a male-dominated religion as they didn't like being second to females. Which they are always going to be. I, one of thinking women in the world know & believe that & have never been taken in by the created religion.

I feel so sorry for people who believe in the mythical person called Jesus. There is no one to look up to who that is real & as there is no person that is God either' yes you have it right that Easter was a Pagan festival that celebrated women but male society demanded a male-dominated religion as they didn't like being second to females. Which they are always going to be. I, one of thinking women in the world know & believe that & have never been taken in by the created religion.
And I pray 🙏 for those who don't believe

I gave up coffee for Lent and can't wait for Easter Sunday.
People I know who fast I have told them ,fasting is really giving up something you love, to me that would be coffee.

I have also said it doesn't need to be food, it can be eg playstation, computer ect .

Im married to a Greek and their fasting is awhole month without anything from an animal

I also think if religion was commenced today we would question if it was a scam. I always think of the story “the kings new clothes”. I am happy to celebrate Mother Nature and feel the government is allowing us to fear for the future of our Lucky Country

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
The Easter weekend, Entitled flogs who rent Airbnbs and make as much noise as they want giving no thought of the neighbours who actually have to work the whole weekend.Happens everytime

I also think if religion was commenced today we would question if it was a scam. I always think of the story “the kings new clothes”. I am happy to celebrate Mother Nature and feel the government is allowing us to fear for the future of our Lucky Country
To believe or not too believe is a choice for each of us.
To believe or not to believe is everyone's personal choice. If there is no God. I have lost nothing, but if there is a Good I will have Eternal Life as said in God's Book.
It is not my intention to interfere
with anyone's belief or non belief but one day it will. become apparent one way or another.

The Easter weekend, Entitled flogs who rent Airbnbs and make as much noise as they want giving no thought of the neighbours who actually have to work the whole weekend.Happens everytime
It is unfortunate that there is no consideration for anybody else,
you have my sympathy.. If excessive alcohol is in the mix it is more likely to be loud and difficult for whoever is in near range of the noise.

There are some beautifully written comments on a beautifully written article here so, God Bless you all and have a very Happy Easter break. To those of you who will not believe you have my sympathies and my love.

To believe or not too believe is a choice for each of us.
To believe or not to believe is everyone's personal choice. If there is no God. I have lost nothing, but if there is a Good I will have Eternal Life as said in God's Book.
It is not my intention to interfere
with anyone's belief or non belief but one day it will. become apparent one way or another.
I'm a Christian and give thanks an
d remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus every day .

Thank you for your thoughts, they are aligned with mine.
I give thanks for the true message of the death, and resurrection
of our Saviour Jesus Christ.
If you are curious about what Christians believe there are things online that may help you, or you could get a copy of the Bible to at least get an overview of what we believe and why. You are then able to at least have an informed opinion one way or another.
Ignorance is not Bliss when this is so important to our overall
future in this life and our Eternal Life.

Each to their own.
We choose, or don't choose. Not something for anyone to make comment over.
Personally, I don't like the chocolate thing being so rampant, so my choice is not to give or receive those sugar laden balls of mischief.
More than anything, I grew up with the Good Friday seafood family lunch. If nothing else, it's a good way to get together with those you love.

It is always disturbing when people disrupt the rights of everybody and disturb people who just need a bit of
Courtesy from the people who inflict themselves on other people
who just need some consideration at anytime
regardless of what and where it occurs

I, too, am a bible believing Christian.
We are very fortunate to be living in a country that is still free and we are able to put up posts like this.
To everyone, have a blessed Easter weekend. Those who attend services, may you all get a new reminder about what Easter is supposed to be about.
For those who do not go or do not believe in this, have a great long weekend.