Tennis superstar Novak Djokovic receives a medical exemption to compete at the Australian Open

Tennis superstar Novak Djokovic receives a medical exemption to compete at the Australian Open
Novak Djokovic has announced that he will be competing at the Australian Open's opening Grand Slam event after receiving a medical exemption from getting vaccinated against COVID-19 on Tuesday.

uKl4Qq9aUJnR7vC9QziMjv6iJbNUlrF1QKlEn2Y2_J-NtG-FBUT4Ezt9MA0mwg6Qdaq5NUSofzhBAvKu82p46C6qzwimeHmVFDTI3-o8wd-q7uqDTV9FHDBxGowj7OHHAkX42lU

The world number 1 announced that he will be defending his Australian title after being granted a medical exemption to compete at the Australian Open. Credit: Reuters.

The tennis superstar, whose vaccination status was not made public until recently, has previously disclosed that he was unsure whether he would compete at the Jan. 17-30 tournament in Melbourne.

It was later revealed that the reason behind his possible absence at the Australian Open was the country's quarantine protocols.

Djokovic took to Instagram to announce his presence at the tournament, writing: "I've spent fantastic quality time with my loved ones over the break and today I'm heading Down Under with an exemption permit. Let's go 2022."

"I'm ready to live and breathe tennis in the next few weeks of competition. Thanks, everyone for the support."

Credit: Instagram/Novak Djokovic

Tennis Australia (TA) required all participants at the Grand Slam to either be vaccinated or be granted a medical exemption by an independent panel of experts.

The medical exemption should be approved by a panel consisting of doctors from the fields of immunology, infectious disease and general practice and should be agreed upon in conjunction with the Victoria Department of Health.

TA revealed that the tennis superstar was granted medical exemptions after a "rigorous review process" involving two separate independent panels of medical experts.

The statement released by TA read: "One of those was the Independent Medical Exemption Review Panel appointed by the Victorian Department of Health."

"They assessed all applications to see if they met the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) guidelines."

The group also said that the personal information of the applicants for the medical exemptions was redacted to ensure their privacy.

The Victorian state government also confirmed Djokovic's exemption, claiming that any player who has been granted a pass has gone through a two-stage process to verify if a medical condition that meets the criteria for an exemption exists.

TA established "fair and independent protocols" for assessing the players' medical exemption applications, according to Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley.

He also assured that necessary actions were done to ensure the safety of the participants of the Australian Open.

Tiley said: "Central to this process was that the decisions were made by independent medical experts and that every applicant was given due consideration."

Djokovic has reportedly flown to Australia after training in Marbella, Spain over the last few days.

• Angry
Reactions: The Bunyip
Sponsored
It is hoped that sooner rather than later, people realise that queuing for hours to find out tomorrow whether they tested positive for Covid yesterday, has no bearing on whether they contract it today.

No..I'm sorry, but if it's good enough for the rest of the people, it's good enough for him!! When they make exemptions and don't give reasons why (is he allergic??, immunocompromised??, etc...) if not... is it just because he's rich and they're "special"?? No wonder people start saying...well, I'm not having it, he didn't have to!! And I damn well bet I couldn't get into his home country if I'm not vaccinated!!! Sports start, movie stars.... they're all just people.... and just as likely to catch and carry viruses as the next person.

ATA you are pathetic. Lets hope Djokovic gets the welcome he deserves if he fails to share the reason he has been granted an exemption !!!! If he has come with only the intention to take millions home in winnings, give him a true Aussie 'up yours.'

Novak Djokovic has announced that he will be competing at the Australian Open's opening Grand Slam event after receiving a medical exemption from getting vaccinated against COVID-19 on Tuesday.

uKl4Qq9aUJnR7vC9QziMjv6iJbNUlrF1QKlEn2Y2_J-NtG-FBUT4Ezt9MA0mwg6Qdaq5NUSofzhBAvKu82p46C6qzwimeHmVFDTI3-o8wd-q7uqDTV9FHDBxGowj7OHHAkX42lU

The world number 1 announced that he will be defending his Australian title after being granted a medical exemption to compete at the Australian Open. Credit: Reuters.

The tennis superstar, whose vaccination status was not made public until recently, has previously disclosed that he was unsure whether he would compete at the Jan. 17-30 tournament in Melbourne.

It was later revealed that the reason behind his possible absence at the Australian Open was the country's quarantine protocols.

Djokovic took to Instagram to announce his presence at the tournament, writing: "I've spent fantastic quality time with my loved ones over the break and today I'm heading Down Under with an exemption permit. Let's go 2022."

"I'm ready to live and breathe tennis in the next few weeks of competition. Thanks, everyone for the support."

Credit: Instagram/Novak Djokovic

Tennis Australia (TA) required all participants at the Grand Slam to either be vaccinated or be granted a medical exemption by an independent panel of experts.

The medical exemption should be approved by a panel consisting of doctors from the fields of immunology, infectious disease and general practice and should be agreed upon in conjunction with the Victoria Department of Health.

TA revealed that the tennis superstar was granted medical exemptions after a "rigorous review process" involving two separate independent panels of medical experts.

The statement released by TA read: "One of those was the Independent Medical Exemption Review Panel appointed by the Victorian Department of Health."

"They assessed all applications to see if they met the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) guidelines."

The group also said that the personal information of the applicants for the medical exemptions was redacted to ensure their privacy.

The Victorian state government also confirmed Djokovic's exemption, claiming that any player who has been granted a pass has gone through a two-stage process to verify if a medical condition that meets the criteria for an exemption exists.

TA established "fair and independent protocols" for assessing the players' medical exemption applications, according to Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley.

He also assured that necessary actions were done to ensure the safety of the participants of the Australian Open.

Tiley said: "Central to this process was that the decisions were made by independent medical experts and that every applicant was given due consideration."

Djokovic has reportedly flown to Australia after training in Marbella, Spain over the last few days.

Actually his Visa has been denied and he will soon be on his way out. Rules are rules, like it or not. If you don't like the rules, consider when you are next voting ... there may be someone you think could do better, but you DO have to think first. Have a good one everyone.

Visa Denied! It's good to see that we can stick to our guns and No jab No entry is being upheld. When all is said and done Tennis is just a game, it's not like he was coming here to provide some life saving service. Another example of white privilege thinking the world revolves around them.

No..I'm sorry, but if it's good enough for the rest of the people, it's good enough for him!! When they make exemptions and don't give reasons why (is he allergic??, immunocompromised??, etc...) if not... is it just because he's rich and they're "special"?? No wonder people start saying...well, I'm not having it, he didn't have to!! And I damn well bet I couldn't get into his home country if I'm not vaccinated!!! Sports start, movie stars.... they're all just people.... and just as likely to catch and carry viruses as the next person.
Total agree.

Total agree.
Yes, how silly does he think we are. If you have a legitimate exemption, you would have it on you. Can't present the exemption, leave. And as for wasting the courts time, get over it sook. You tried to pull a shifty, you got called out, now bugger off. Trust me, you do not want to end up in Immigration detention. :LOL:🍒🍒

Reactions: ACanuck1 and Ricci
Yes he hosted a tennis party back then, caught covid among with his wife & several other players! And is still an anti-vaxer, bugger off Novax!:mad:

Reactions: Ricci
I looked on the internet to see if he had had Covid in the last 6 months. They only listed his 2020 one. Hmmm.
Regardless, previously having Covid does not make you eligble for a Visa in Australia. So, I agree, convenient or rort? But given that the Tennis Association provided the wrong information to all players in writing it would seem that they may be liable for the expenses of those who are unable to remain. Pretty sloppy ...

Regardless of getting the incorrect information Novaxx has a team of people working for him making sure he has the right visa, currency, tennis rackets etc etc, so they should have checked...personal responsibility!

Reactions: Ricci