Telstra announces price hike on paper statements after Australia Post changes

Navigating the ever-changing landscape of bills and expenses can be a challenge, and for those of us who prefer the tangibility of paper statements, it's about to become a little more costly.

Telstra, one of Australia's leading telecommunications companies, has announced a price hike for its paper billing service, which is set to affect many customers across the nation.

Starting 17 June, the cost of receiving a paper bill from Telstra will increase to $2.50. This follows Telstra increasing the cost of issuance of paper bills last year by $2.20.

This change is a direct result of Australia Post raising its fees for over-the-counter bill payments—a cost that Telstra is now passing on to its customers.

shutterstock_676037074.jpg
Telstra will increase its paper bills from $2.20 to $2.50. Credit: Shutterstock

Telstra has stated, 'We provide a range of options for customers when paying their bills so they can choose what is right for them. Like a lot of utilities, one option is over the counter at Australia Post.’.

‘When this occurs, Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment, and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer—Telstra is not alone in doing this, and the charge has been in place for many years.’

‘The rate we charge our customers is still lower than what we get charged to accept these payments.’

It's important to note that not all customers will be affected by this price increase. According to Telstra, approximately 68 per cent of customers who currently receive paper bills will not face the new charge.

This includes individuals with a valid Health Care Card, Pension Concession Card, or Department of Veteran’s Affairs Card.

Additionally, those without an email address or internet access, residents of remote communities, and people who require special bill formats, such as braille or large print due to vision impairment, are also exempt.

If you believe you might be eligible for an exemption or need assistance transitioning to electronic billing, Telstra urges you to contact them.

They have customer service representatives who can guide you through the process and help determine if you qualify for an exemption.
Key Takeaways
  • Telstra customers receiving paper bills will see an increase in cost from $2.20 to $2.50 starting 17 June after Australia Post raised its fees.
  • The telecommunications company is passing on some of these increased costs from Australia Post to its customers.
  • Not all customers will face the higher charges; exemptions apply for a variety of conditions, including holding certain concession cards or lacking internet access.
  • Telstra encourages customers who believe they may be eligible for an exemption to contact them for further information.
Are you still holding onto paper bills? Could you make the switch to digital and save yourself the additional cost? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Thank god I only use Prepaid with Telstra; But with inflation & All of the Redundancies Telstra is in need of extra funds to cover Overheads!
Unfortunately we don't have many options Telstra is the market leader with coverage. the other providers use their towers. I use prepaid as its the cheapest option, when travelling remote.

ANd they want a cashless society. Banks dipping into.your card balance every chance they get.

I was with Telstra for several years but I will never deal with them again I had my account set up for direct debit each month sometimes the payment didn't get paid so my internet would be cut off during the night without notice, I would call the local Telstra shop no answer ( they would not answer the phone) so I would have to drive 60km when I get there I was asked if I have a appointment to which I replied no I was asked why I replied nobody answers your phone after a short period and a strange look I was asked why I was there so I explained everything to him, I quite enjoyed the look on his face, I was told to go to the counter and pay the account.
After doing this several times I decided to change carriers which I did I changed to Aussie Broadband cheaper and better service I have not been cut off since. I asked them ( as I did with Telstra) would you please advise me if the direct debit payment does not go through which they said they always do, I consider it one of my better decisions it hassle free as far as I am concerned.

The price of the digital world. Extra costs and greater inconvenience for us with a cash-cow for hackers.

They've been chatging for ages,so have other companies. If you're a pensioner they will waive it. I went digital for bills as I have PO Box and it's a bit of a hike to get to it

Reactions: Marilynne
When I dumped Telstra I went to Southern Phones $10 per month unlimited calls and texts a Australia wide 24/7 set up direct debit never had a issue with them.
One month the payment didn't go through I received a texts from them explaining that they didn't receive payment so I contacted them via phone made payment via debit card, problem solved, I am very satisfied with Southern phones.