S

Sean Camara

Teary-eyed couple recounts HORRIFYING experience of almost getting scammed $1.1 million out — “Call the bank straight away!

Teary-eyed couple recounts HORRIFYING experience of almost getting scammed $1.1 million out — “Call the bank straight away!”

A teary-eyed Aussie couple have warned others to always be wary of scams after they were almost conned out of their life savings worth $1.1 million in an elaborate scam.

The horrifying experience began when Sydney couple Cassie and Dennis Aviles — who were in the final stages of purchasing a new house — received an email from an account that appeared to be from their solicitor.

a3Otd9kZt5JR4je08wbvQIPQ2WGtPDrD-r1osnmuvd1DRg3ak_u-TKRZIVDELqUFPvUAIr3hg7eaoIBRFtBXH8pqxP01iHTtAQW1F8kHUNd-J998zBprpo51BfNyr0CtrIl4-Bw

Cassie and Dennis Aviles were in the final stages of purchasing a new home when they received an email from a scammer posing as their solicitor. Credit: Nine.

In the email, the "solicitor" asked the couple to transfer $1.1 million to a Commonwealth Bank account for the full payment of their new home, finalising the transaction.

The email — which used the solicitor's name and the company he works for — contains all the documents the couple have signed throughout the whole process, convincing the unsuspecting couple to send the money.

Speaking to Nine News, a tearful Mrs Aviles said: "I've gone to the branch and transferred all our money only to find out it was some kind of scam account."

Cassie said that upon transferring the money, she and her husband immediately called their solicitor to inform him of their payment.

"He just yelled into the phone "call the bank straight away"," Mrs Aviles recalled.

'I'm not somebody that would fall for this type of thing - I see this kind of scam on the TV and say "oh how could they fall for that?"'

Tanveer Khan, the couple's solicitor, said that he has no idea how the trickster got ahold of the contracts, claiming that he had never experienced a situation like this.

Cassie also revealed that the family had just sold their home in Beacon Hill on the Northern Beaches before they reached out to a solicitor to buy a new abode, meaning they would've been homeless if they had not retrieved the money back.

nTnFdIVkUEsYfCFKAmmBum07otqIxw9XtFK5QIqn-XO4jDeIi6C3faR9hSVj5ZrBkAFKuD8y96WvHqAOsTdAPGNqDXiGndz-mIH4Xm12Z9CI-63JATAld229bdGKnLY9JlzmaT8

The scammer was able to retrieve the contracts the couple signed throughout the process, making the email appear legitimate. Credit: Nine.

While the couple's bank, St George, initially told them that "they were not sure if they were going to be able to retrieve it [money] for us," the bank along with Commonwealth Bank was able to halt the transaction and freeze the fund transfer, all thanks to the Aviles' quick reaction.

A spokesperson from St George said: "Email compromise scams are on the rise, and we encourage our customers to remain vigilant."

"In this case, being notified of the scam early has allowed us to work with another financial institution to investigate the issue quickly and work to return the missing money to our customers."

Commonwealth Bank also gave a comment on the matter, urging customers to immediately reach out to them the moment they believe they have made an incorrect payment.

"Your financial institution will always try its best to recover funds, and the best chance of this is when action is taken as soon as possible," a Commonwealth Bank spokesperson said.

It is understood that the case is currently being investigated by the Mona Vale police.

Reactions: Ricci
The scammers have become so cunning, calculating and devious.
They think they are clever.
They cause incredible heartache.
We must stay alert, keep on our mettle.
Thank you for the heads up.....good reminder, although at this poor couple's expense.
Thankfully the scam was averted in time.

How awful... I hate that everything is done online these days.. making it easier and easier for criminals and hackers....the last home I sold was all done on line, even though I repeatedly said I wanted to come in to see paperwork and sign it (I won't ever use those conveyancers again)....I don't find it inconvenient.... not when it's your life's savings... your life of working hard!!!

There has been a huge rise in scams over the last two years. These people need to be hunted down. A few well publicized prosecutions of scammers would send a strong message.

Reactions: Ricci and Strawb
I know exactly how it feels. I have written an article on this issue. Do you know the government protects the banks, not the consumer in this case. The banks are not legally required to check where the money goes. This is why so much fraudulent activity is going on. If the banks are not liable for any internal transfer of money, who is? How is the consumer protected? The matter was taken to AFCA, ACCC, ASIC and finally to the minister. No one could answer the two questions I raised. You may read my attached article. Do you think the consumers are being taken for a ride? Best wises.

Attachments

• ScamEZ.pdf
    260.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
This is a failure at the Bank and legislative level. The fact that they take no responsibility for opening scam accounts enables these criminals to prosper. If they were made liable this type of fraud would stop overnight. Proof of identity is supposedly required to open a bank account and it would appear this is not being done effectively. As we have seen, slack procedures by the banks have led to criminals using them for money laundering in the past and this is just another example of weaknesses in systems aiding and abetting the criminal element.

Reactions: KatKop