Taken too soon: Remembering the Legacy of ABBA Guitarist Lasse Wellander and Oscar-Nominated Actor Michael Lerner

This week sadly brought us news of the deaths of two beloved celebrities: Oscar-nominated actor Michael Lerner, who starred in films ranging from Elf to Godzilla, and long-time ABBA guitarist Lasse Wellander, a Swede responsible for many of the guitar ensembles of the band's best-known songs of the '70s and '80s.

FB resize 13.jpg
Beloved celebrities Oscar-nominated actor Michael Lerner and ABBA guitarist Lasse Wellander are confirmed to have passed away. Credit: Shutterstock.

Though they left us far too soon, they leave behind an indelible legacy in the film and music industries, with generations to come still able to enjoy their amazing work.
So, what can we learn about their lives?

Michael Lerner

Shutterstock_1677612ct.jpg
Oscar-nominated actor Michael Lerner, best recognised for his role in Elf, passed away at 81. Credit: Shutterstock.

Michael Lerner died aged 81, his nephew, US actor Sam Lerner (who stars in the sitcom The Goldbergs), confirmed on Instagram.

Sam wrote: ‘We lost a legend last night. It’s hard to put into words how brilliant my uncle Michael was, and how influential he was to me.’

‘His stories always inspired me and made me fall in love with acting. He was the coolest, most confident and most talented guy, and the fact that he was my blood will always make me feel special. Everyone that knows him knows how insane he was — in the best way.’

Michael’s career lasted for six decades, during which he gained recognition for his part in the 1991 film Barton Fink, which earned him a nomination for an Academy Award.

In addition to his notable performance in the 1991 movie, Michael was also featured in a range of popular films from the 1980s and 1990s, such as Eight Men Out (1988), Amos & Andrew (1993), and No Escape (1994).

He portrayed Mayor Ebert in the successful 1998 film Godzilla and Senator Brickman in X-Men: Days of Future Past in 2014.

While he has taken on fewer roles in recent years, Michael did appear in the 2022 Russian film Pervyy Oskar, marking his most recent big-screen appearance.

While Michael has appeared in a variety of films throughout his career, his most recognisable role is arguably his portrayal of Fulton Greenway in the 2003 movie Elf, in which he acted alongside Will Ferrell. In the film, Michael's character is Walter Hobbs' (played by James Caan) overbearing boss.

Lasse Wellander

1681127040_939_ABBA-pay-tribute-to-their-long-term-guitarist-Lasse-Wellander.jpg
A photo of the late guitarist performing alongside ABBA members Björn Ulvaeus and Agnetha Fältskog. Credit: Shutterstock.

At the age of 70, Lasse Wellander, ABBA's long-time guitarist, has passed away.

Wellander had a longstanding association with the Swedish group that dated back to 1974 when they triumphed at the Eurovision Song Contest with their hit single ‘Waterloo’.

In the same year, he contributed to the band’s debut recordings, playing the guitar on the tracks ‘Crazy World’ and ‘Intermezzo No.1’.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the musician continued to work with Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, playing on some of their most iconic songs. He also lent his guitar skills to their 2021 album, Voyage.

He played on 24 of the band’s recordings, eight of its studio albums, and its live tours.

His family released a statement confirming his passing: 'It is with indescribable sadness that we have to announce that our beloved Lasse has fallen asleep.’

‘Lasse recently fell ill with what turned out to be cancer that had spread, and early on Good Friday he passed away surrounded by his loved ones. We loved and miss you so much.'

A session guitarist with other Swedish artists as well as for ABBA, Lasse's connection to the band came about when he met Bjorn and Benny on the Swedish music scene in the '70s.

He also released solo albums and played on the soundtrack to the hit 2008 film Mamma Mia!

In 2018, the Royal Swedish Academy of Music awarded him the Albin Hagström Memorial Award, and the prestigious Swedish Musicians Union prize, the Studioräven Award.

Last year, in an interview with Guitarworld, Lasse reminisced about his experience recording and performing with ABBA.

He said: ‘Yes, I thought it would be big, quite early on. Great songs all the way. Even the simple pop numbers were very high quality.’

‘One of the first tracks I recorded with them was Knowing Me, Knowing You.’

‘I think that’s still one of the better songs throughout the years.’

Wellander also discussed the Beatles-esque frenzy accompanying ABBA on their tours, particularly in Australia and Japan. He described the scenes as ‘hysterical’ akin to when The Beatles first arrived in New York.

Wellander was survived by ABBA’s fantastic four Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

It's such a great shame we will never get to hear his beautiful music live again, but at least we can still remember him and cherish his legacy and influence.

Speaking of the great music, you may want to check out this article where we shared some of the best songs of the 70’s.

Key Takeaways

• Oscar-nominated actor Michael Lerner has died at the age of 81. His death was confirmed by his nephew, US actor Sam Lerner.
  • Lerner's Hollywood career spanned six decades, and he was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the 1991 film Barton Fink.
  • ABBA's long-term guitarist Lasse Wellander has also died, aged 70. He played on some of the band's best-known songs and their 2021 album, Voyage.

The passing of these celebrated artists is undoubtedly a sombre reminder of the preciousness of life.

May they both rest in peace, and their contributions to the entertainment world be cherished forever by their families, friends, and fans.

Are you a fan of these beloved celebrities? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored