Take a look at Sydney Airport's new simulated plane crash training

We all hope it will never happen, but the truth is that accidents do sometimes occur – even in airports.

That's why Sydney Airport conducts regular emergency response training exercises, involving staff and other agencies like NSW Ambulance and the Australian Federal Police (AFP), to be prepared for any potential disasters.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 10.06.07 AM.png
Sydney Airport recently conducted a training exercise that involved a simulated plane crash. Credit: Instagram/sydneyairport.

Earlier this month, one training scenario played out across the airfield, with 'bloodied' and 'injured' passengers – but don't worry, they were all fake!

The exercise, which apparently took up to six months to plan, involved the simulated crash landing of an international trans-Tasman flight (Boeing 787-900) carrying 302 passengers.

Sydney Airport shared footage of the training on its Instagram page recently, giving viewers a look at what goes on behind the scenes to prepare for emergencies.

In one clip, limbless mannequins and staff covered in fake blood are scattered over the tarmac, acting as injured passengers. In another, emergency vehicles like police cars and aviation fire trucks can be seen racing across the airport runway.

There is also an inflatable aircraft fuselage in three pieces, as well as debris like aircraft seats and luggage strewn across the crash site.

These exercises are conducted regularly to test and refine processes and procedures of Sydney Airport teams as well as emergency agencies so that they are better prepared to respond to actual events.

According to Sydney Airport's Instagram post: 'We do this every year with different scenarios to test response procedures and protocols.'

Many people took to social media to express their admiration for the airline, calling the move a 'great step' in dealing with actual emergencies; others even asked if they may volunteer as victims in the future.

We can only hope that the employees at Sydney Airport never have to put their training into action in a real-world scenario!
Key Takeaways

• Sydney Airport recently staged a training exercise involving a simulated plane crash.
  • The exercise involved staff from various emergency agencies, including the police and ambulance service.
  • The purpose of the exercise was to test and refine the emergency response procedures of all involved.
Our hearts go out to everyone who has been affected by plane accidents in the past. Here's hoping that, with the help of safety training like this, responses will be streamlined so anyone impacted can be looked after with the utmost care.

Members, what do you think about the airline's emergency response training? And have you ever participated in one before? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored
Sydney airport has been doing this for years. I've had many relatives working for Qantas. A grandfather who worked in the traffic control tower and had witnessed many of these. Cousins who worked in catering and had participated in a few .
It's something that needs to be done.

I worked in Sydney CBD and Twice a year we would do evacuation drills the same time as surrounding buildings and have to meet up in Pitt Street , each shop had a fire officer who had to get their staff out and accounted for.

I was working close to the Lindt Cafe in Martin place when the the terrorist attack happened . We were told to stay inside and lock the doors, then at 12pm told to evacuate but not to use any if the underground trains we had to walk to central . A large surrounding area including where I worked was evacuated and no one could get in.
We were told by police that the terrorist said he had bombs placed around the city including the Opera house.

That was pretty scary.

A friend of mine who is a lawyer and ex NSW premier used to have his early meetings with another lawyer there and was meeting up with him at 9am on the day of the attack but the other person cancelled at 8 30

Last edited:
Australians have not idea how ALL emergency services train. They ALL train like this and have been doing so for decades.

So stop complaining about Police, hospitals, Ambos, firies, SES and all other emergency responders.

Australians have not idea how ALL emergency services train. They ALL train like this and have been doing so for decades.

So stop complaining about Police, hospitals, Ambos, firies, SES and all other emergency responders.
I was in the steel industry for 40 years and we had many training senarios over my working life

In the 1970's I went to the local High School in Mascot. The Airport would ask for 100 student from the dram and English classes, to be used a live victims. I was covered in fake blood and trucked out to the other side of the Bay. The victums waited laying in the baking sun on the sand, in our 'crash positions' for hours, without water or sun protection. My face was swolled along with my arms and legs with deep sunburn, that blistered and pealed for weeks. Unfortunately, it was only down my left side. I looked like a minstrel show of half red and and half fair! We had a great time and afterwards, they fed us lovely big sandwiches and cordialafter as our reward. As Linda Evalangista once said, " Now I dont get out of bed for less than $10,000.00 day!
Glenda

In 2016, Melbourne became the site of a proposed terror attack.
Police became aware of the plot, to bomb
St Paul's Cathedral, Flinders Street Railway Station and other prominent locations around the city on Christmas Day.
I am in a Gospel Choir, and we've sung many times at the St Paul's Cathedral Midnight Carols Service on Christmas Eve.
In October 2016, we were informed of the plot which had been discovered by police.
We could choose whether we wanted to attend or not.
If we were going to attend, we had to sign a form saying we would not reveal the information to anyone.
We were assured that if the security issue escalated, we would be told not to come.
Most of us chose to go ahead.
The plot was foiled.....police seized the explosive devices and 5 men were arrested in their suburban homes.Screenshot_20221125-121402.png

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
In the 1970's I went to the local High School in Mascot. The Airport would ask for 100 student from the dram and English classes, to be used a live victims. I was covered in fake blood and trucked out to the other side of the Bay. The victums waited laying in the baking sun on the sand, in our 'crash positions' for hours, without water or sun protection. My face was swolled along with my arms and legs with deep sunburn, that blistered and pealed for weeks. Unfortunately, it was only down my left side. I looked like a minstrel show of half red and and half fair! We had a great time and afterwards, they fed us lovely big sandwiches and cordialafter as our reward. As Linda Evalangista once said, " Now I dont get out of bed for less than $10,000.00 day!
Glenda
I have relatives that went to mascot high in the 70s I think 1974 on they were brothers and sisters Angela, Leanne, Leo and Christopher