Sydney bus driver allegedly humiliates senior passenger, reporter sounds alarm

Ageism is an issue that affects so many of our beloved seniors, and it's so disheartening to see the negative and unfair discrimination they get when going about their daily routines.

Sadly, an example of this has been brought to light–this time with a Sydney bus driver allegedly harassing and humiliating a senior passenger.

SDC Images (3).png
A Sydney bus driver allegedly harassed and humiliated a senior passenger. Image source: Flickr / John Cowper.

Nine News Chief Court Reporter, Tiffiny Genders, called out the driver of Sydney's 333 eastern suburbs bus service whose alleged ‘vile’ behaviour she witnessed first-hand.

'Vile behaviour by a bus driver on 333 from Bondi to Bondi Junction this morning,' Genders said on social media.

'Humiliating an elderly passenger... all because she misunderstood an instruction.'

compressed-Screenshot_2.jpeg
Image Credit: X/@tiffgenders

She also revealed on a radio show just how hurtful the driver's words were.

'He asked her if she had her hearing aids in, and she was in complete shock, [she] asked, “Beg your pardon, what did you just say?”’ She recalled.

'Then he said, “Have you not taken your medication today?”’ Then the driver allegedly called the woman a 'f****ng b***h'.

The passenger was 'left absolutely furious' by the attack, according to Genders.

Transport NSW and the Bus Operator Transdev John Holland Buses confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A spokesperson from Transport NSW said: 'Transport for NSW has requested a formal response from the operator following a review of CCTV and an interview with the driver.'

'Bus drivers should be polite and respectful to passengers at all times.'

'Transport for NSW expects operators to thoroughly train bus drivers to communicate with passengers in an appropriate way, especially for safety-related matters.'

On the other hand, Transdev John Holland Buses spokesperson issued a statement and said: 'Transdev John Holland Buses acknowledges that there was a verbal incident on the 333 bus route yesterday between a bus operator and a female passenger.'

'A full investigation is taking place, which will include discussions with the bus operator.'

'At Transdev John Holland Buses, we take driver behaviour very seriously and apologise to any passengers affected.'

In a similar instance, an ALDI shopper also took to social media to report an alleged ‘bullying incident’ involving a checkout cashier and a senior customer. According to the shopper, the cashier ‘behaved disgracefully’ towards the shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill. You can read more on this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Reporter Tiffiny Genders witnessed a Sydney 333 bus driver verbally abuse and humiliate a senior female passenger.
  • Genders shared the incident on radio and social media, describing the bus driver's behaviour as 'vile'.
  • The Transport NSW spokesperson confirmed that they are investigating the incident, assuring that bus drivers should always be polite and respectful to passengers.
  • Transdev John Holland Buses, the operator of the bus, also acknowledged the incident and assured that a full investigation is in progress, apologising to any affected passengers.
Share this article with your friends and family to spread the message that ageism has no place in society. Together, let’s help create a kinder and more respectful environment for everyone, regardless of age.

Have you or anyone you know experienced a similar situation? Share with us your stories in the comments below—we’d love to read them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Ageism is an issue that affects so many of our beloved seniors, and it's so disheartening to see the negative and unfair discrimination they get when going about their daily routines.

Sadly, an example of this has been brought to light–this time with a Sydney bus driver allegedly harassing and humiliating a senior passenger.

View attachment 28764
A Sydney bus driver allegedly harassed and humiliated a senior passenger. Image source: Flickr / John Cowper.

Nine News Chief Court Reporter, Tiffiny Genders, called out the driver of Sydney's 333 eastern suburbs bus service whose alleged ‘vile’ behaviour she witnessed first-hand.

'Vile behaviour by a bus driver on 333 from Bondi to Bondi Junction this morning,' Genders said on social media.

'Humiliating an elderly passenger... all because she misunderstood an instruction.'

View attachment 28783

'He asked her if she had her hearing aids in, and she was in complete shock, [she] asked, “Beg your pardon, what did you just say?”’ She recalled.

'Then he said, “Have you not taken your medication today?”’ Then the driver allegedly called the woman a 'f****ng b***h'.

The passenger was 'left absolutely furious' by the attack, according to Genders.

Transport NSW and the Bus Operator Transdev John Holland Buses confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A spokesperson from Transport NSW said: 'Transport for NSW has requested a formal response from the operator following a review of CCTV and an interview with the driver.'

'Transport for NSW expects operators to thoroughly train bus drivers to communicate with passengers in an appropriate way, especially for safety-related matters.'

On the other hand, Transdev John Holland Buses spokesperson issued a statement and said: 'Transdev John Holland Buses acknowledges that there was a verbal incident on the 333 bus route yesterday between a bus operator and a female passenger.'

'A full investigation is taking place, which will include discussions with the bus operator.'

'At Transdev John Holland Buses, we take driver behaviour very seriously and apologise to any passengers affected.'

In a similar instance, an ALDI shopper also took to social media to report an alleged ‘bullying incident’ involving a checkout cashier and a senior customer. According to the shopper, the cashier ‘behaved disgracefully’ towards the shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill. You can read more on this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Reporter Tiffiny Genders witnessed a Sydney 333 bus driver verbally abuse and humiliate a senior female passenger.
  • Genders shared the incident on radio and social media, describing the bus driver's behaviour as 'vile'.
  • The Transport NSW spokesperson confirmed that they are investigating the incident, assuring that bus drivers should always be polite and respectful to passengers.
  • Transdev John Holland Buses, the operator of the bus, also acknowledged the incident and assured that a full investigation is in progress, apologising to any affected passengers.
Share this article with your friends and family to spread the message that ageism has no place in society. Together, let’s help create a kinder and more respectful environment for everyone, regardless of age.

Have you or anyone you know experienced a similar situation? Share with us your stories in the comments below—we’d love to read them!
Another reason why I still drive my own car.

Back in the late seventies early eighties I moved to Perth from Darwin. Could not believe how courteous the bus drivers were. It was common for them to assist women with strollers onto the bus, put the stroller on the hooks at the rear of the bus, then collect the fare from he seated mum before proceeding. Then when the mum got off, the driver would get the stroller from the back of the bus. Never once heard a complaint from other passengers.
I had my car shipped by boat from Darwin and when it arrived I got the bus from the north side to the docks to collect my car. I asked the driver if he could let me know when we got to the closest stop to the wharfs so I could get off. He told me the nearest stop was about a kilometre from the wharf. As we approach the stop the driver ask the passengers if they minded a quick detour, the response was 'problems' and he drove the bus all the way to the gates the wharf to save my wife and I a walk.
In the time I lived in Perth I found the public transport employees extremely helpful and polite. I have lived all over Australia and overseas and have never found a more helpful mob than I did in Perth.
What has happened to our country that we have forgotten common courtesy.

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28783

Key Takeaways

Have you or anyone you know experienced a similar situation? Share with us your stories in the comments below—we’d love to
I really do hope that its not lip service to investigate how this senior was treated by a person who works in a place where reputation is gold, enjoys ridiculing seniors.
Becareful a lot of us seniors knows about Karma, what comes around goes around.

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28783

Key Takeaways

As a bus driver with over 40 yrs experience in both public and tour work, I have never gone off at a senior person. There must have been some reason for him to use such degrading language toward a senior citizen, although it is still inexcusable. Ageism is something that has come to Australia with some of the younger immigrants. No, I'm not talking about race here, I'm talking about how some of the younger immigrants think about the elderly. It's rampant in London, but no one has the courage to speak up for fear of reprisals.

It is such a shame that there always is a bad apple in the bunch. Bus drivers were my life line during covid. I reckon the bus drivers I have around my area are the nicest, helpful, politeness and mannerism is really a high score. There is a lot more fantastic bus drivers out there who take prìde in how they present themselves to the public. Yes I really hope that this would be looked into because its the bus company reputation is on the line as well. Be kind to each other.

Back in the late seventies early eighties I moved to Perth from Darwin. Could not believe how courteous the bus drivers were. It was common for them to assist women with strollers onto the bus, put the stroller on the hooks at the rear of the bus, then collect the fare from he seated mum before proceeding. Then when the mum got off, the driver would get the stroller from the back of the bus. Never once heard a complaint from other passengers.
I had my car shipped by boat from Darwin and when it arrived I got the bus from the north side to the docks to collect my car. I asked the driver if he could let me know when we got to the closest stop to the wharfs so I could get off. He told me the nearest stop was about a kilometre from the wharf. As we approach the stop the driver ask the passengers if they minded a quick detour, the response was 'problems' and he drove the bus all the way to the gates the wharf to save my wife and I a walk.
In the time I lived in Perth I found the public transport employees extremely helpful and polite. I have lived all over Australia and overseas and have never found a more helpful mob than I did in Perth.
What has happened to our country that we have forgotten common courtesy.
It is no longer "public" transport but a privately own transport company. Shouldn't make a difference but I think it may.

Reactions: Macarj and Gsr
sounds like she didn't have them in if she need to ask what he had said.
Maybe she couldn’t understand him, probably a lot of drivers who don’t speak very clear English on buses these days, regardless he should be sacked if he can’t be polite to every passenger who boards the bus. There is no place for disrespect on public transport, whether privately owned or not.

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28783

Key Takeaways

Well the arsehole should be sacked if it happened to them somewhere they would say something parasites like this should never be working with the public 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

sounds like she didn't have them in if she need to ask what he had said.
I have hearing aids but I also have severe Tinnitus and often have to have people speak clearly and repeat luckily once I tell people about the Tinnitus they are fine I have never been mistreated YET

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28783

Key Takeaways

Being a bus driver for eight years it is easy to complain about our behaviour but when you have passengers get on your bus day after day and make no attempt to tap on or off it really makes you angry. You also have passengers who apparently cannot speak English when you talk to them but if you insult them there English is perfect. Life is a two way street remember that.

Reactions: NotNats

View attachment 28764

View attachment 28783

Key Takeaways