Sydney-based Aussie chef shares 'amazing' culture shocks during her stay in Italy

Italy is the center of amazing cuisine, architecture, fashion, and art - and Aussies traveling there may find Ayeh Manfre’s insights helpful. This Sydney-based foodie shared a clip of a few of the mind-blowing culture shocks she experienced during her time in Sicily, which is known for its island beaches, vineyards, and cathedrals.

jFnKGlnxqWycr9QEFHZN0ISb68D82L_6t6IdC2vTBgWveoiBGK0t7NJ2Sbmb8djd6822zAGoLPYjwP-ZIMkwwpsFSjvM03cgdjTrvsyipZWqxdY0zn5quVRCye138hfIVW85rNe_kYWLvOZMnDzz-0U

The Aussie chef shared some ‘culture shock moments’ during her stay in Sicily, Italy. Credit: Daily Mail

Her 2.3 million followers were shocked when she explained that when you order a ‘latte’ in an Italian café, you’ll be disappointed to get a glass of milk instead of the milky coffee you were expecting.

Her fans were quick to comment about their experiences as well. 'Happened to me too!!! (Latte). Learned the hard way to ask for latte macchiato,' said one of the users.

'I ordered a latte & got milk to my surprise,' commented another.

The foodie goes on to share how Sicilian homes have doors and windows that open two ways.‘You can get some air, and also go out,' she explains.

Another fascinating (and delicious) culture shock she shared was how the supermarket aisles were filled with a ‘huge’ selection of different varieties of pasta. Honestly, we’re not super surprised about this one - pasta is about as Italian as sausage rolls are Australian!

What’s even more mouth-watering to discover is that 'If you order a drink, you will get snacks for free!' If you haven’t already booked your tickets to Italy, you’ll be extra tempted after you see the clip she posted featuring a free platter full of chips, olives, nuts, and meat pastries at a bar.

g4VqlA3sWOvvdOHSqdYeKs3XYCH5AcK0JXnMKAzc74oUmHBeQE0YcM766T8h-VgHOLS_t787ssRDjbfjr0ThwpSlZE00-uiDlE7LL5vVdcRmbI7UcNplu_rkb-ICqqqttoRyBNnriURXVyYBz0FRKu8

You get free food when you order drinks in Italy. Credit: Daily Mail

A user who commented on the clip shares how 'The snacks with drinks practically fed me on my first trip.’

'We need all this in Aus,' said another fan.

Ayeh also shows us a fascinating clip of a ‘hidden cupboard’ above her sink that can also double as a drying rack after washing your dishes. Say goodbye to damp tea towels!

To watch the full TikTok video on Ayeh’s ‘culture shock moments’ in Italy, you can watch the clip below:

Being the chef that she is, Ayeh has also been posting recipes from her stay in Italy using local fresh produce during the summer. A particularly enticing looking one is the ‘delicious’ burrata toast recipe that she claims ‘makes the perfect brekkie, brunch, or even a snack and this combo works so well!'

The post was accompanied by a clip showing how the burrata was ‘wrapped like a Christmas present’ since it’s very delicate. She recommends her Aussie fans purchase the ingredients from an Italian deli or a green grocer.

The recipe is really simple. Start by toasting some bread in an olive-oil coated frying pan and add a handful of fresh rocket, a bit more oil, and a pinch of salt.

'Now add the creamy burrata, a drizzle of olive oil then top with peaches and balsamic glaze,' the chef shares. 'If peaches aren’t in season where you are, not to stress as you can use so many other fruits. Strawberries or any berries, figs, nectarines, or even pears will work great too!'

The clip of her recipe now has more than 397,000 views on Instagram, where fans have commented on how much they want to try the creamy combination for themselves. See for yourself with this video below:

‘Omg! This looks sooooo delicious!!!' one of them exclaimed.

'That sounds so delicious, maybe I’ll try with strawberries as it’s winter here in Sydney! Love a yummy peach though,' commented another.

Would you give this recipe a go? And for any SDC members with Italian heritage or relatives - any other relatively unknown Italian food we should be trying?

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Italy is the center of amazing cuisine, architecture, fashion, and art - and Aussies traveling there may find Ayeh Manfre’s insights helpful. This Sydney-based foodie shared a clip of a few of the mind-blowing culture shocks she experienced during her time in Sicily, which is known for its island beaches, vineyards, and cathedrals.

jFnKGlnxqWycr9QEFHZN0ISb68D82L_6t6IdC2vTBgWveoiBGK0t7NJ2Sbmb8djd6822zAGoLPYjwP-ZIMkwwpsFSjvM03cgdjTrvsyipZWqxdY0zn5quVRCye138hfIVW85rNe_kYWLvOZMnDzz-0U

The Aussie chef shared some ‘culture shock moments’ during her stay in Sicily, Italy. Credit: Daily Mail

Her 2.3 million followers were shocked when she explained that when you order a ‘latte’ in an Italian café, you’ll be disappointed to get a glass of milk instead of the milky coffee you were expecting.

Her fans were quick to comment about their experiences as well. 'Happened to me too!!! (Latte). Learned the hard way to ask for latte macchiato,' said one of the users.

The foodie goes on to share how Sicilian homes have doors and windows that open two ways.‘You can get some air, and also go out,' she explains.

Another fascinating (and delicious) culture shock she shared was how the supermarket aisles were filled with a ‘huge’ selection of different varieties of pasta. Honestly, we’re not super surprised about this one - pasta is about as Italian as sausage rolls are Australian!

What’s even more mouth-watering to discover is that 'If you order a drink, you will get snacks for free!' If you haven’t already booked your tickets to Italy, you’ll be extra tempted after you see the clip she posted featuring a free platter full of chips, olives, nuts, and meat pastries at a bar.

g4VqlA3sWOvvdOHSqdYeKs3XYCH5AcK0JXnMKAzc74oUmHBeQE0YcM766T8h-VgHOLS_t787ssRDjbfjr0ThwpSlZE00-uiDlE7LL5vVdcRmbI7UcNplu_rkb-ICqqqttoRyBNnriURXVyYBz0FRKu8

A user who commented on the clip shares how 'The snacks with drinks practically fed me on my first trip.’

Ayeh also shows us a fascinating clip of a ‘hidden cupboard’ above her sink that can also double as a drying rack after washing your dishes. Say goodbye to damp tea towels!

To watch the full TikTok video on Ayeh’s ‘culture shock moments’ in Italy, you can watch the clip below:

Being the chef that she is, Ayeh has also been posting recipes from her stay in Italy using local fresh produce during the summer. A particularly enticing looking one is the ‘delicious’ burrata toast recipe that she claims ‘makes the perfect brekkie, brunch, or even a snack and this combo works so well!'

The post was accompanied by a clip showing how the burrata was ‘wrapped like a Christmas present’ since it’s very delicate. She recommends her Aussie fans purchase the ingredients from an Italian deli or a green grocer.

The recipe is really simple. Start by toasting some bread in an olive-oil coated frying pan and add a handful of fresh rocket, a bit more oil, and a pinch of salt.

'Now add the creamy burrata, a drizzle of olive oil then top with peaches and balsamic glaze,' the chef shares. 'If peaches aren’t in season where you are, not to stress as you can use so many other fruits. Strawberries or any berries, figs, nectarines, or even pears will work great too!'

The clip of her recipe now has more than 397,000 views on Instagram, where fans have commented on how much they want to try the creamy combination for themselves. See for yourself with this video below:

'That sounds so delicious, maybe I’ll try with strawberries as it’s winter here in Sydney! Love a yummy peach though,' commented another.

Would you give this recipe a go? And for any SDC members with Italian heritage or relatives - any other relatively unknown Italian food we should be trying?

Of course you get milk if you ask for latte because in Italian milk is latte. But if you ask for caffe latte that's another story!!!

I'm from Irish descendant and my husband is Greek . Somehow alot of Greek food here is different to how it is in Greece. This would be the same with most other cultural.

Latte means milk so of course you will get milk it means the same in Greece

Reactions: Ricci and Senor

"Drink" as in alcohol??

oh yeah about the latte. In Spain a cafe con leche, in France cafe au lait

Yes. Proper Italian Carbonara sauce is made with Guanciale (dried pig's cheek), eggs and Peccorino Romano. It tastes sooooo much better than the creamy goo sold in tubs in supermarkets.

Reactions: debjane