Sweet tooths rejoice: This classic treat is making a comeback!

Nostalgia has a sweet taste, and for many Aussies, that taste is about to become a reality!

A beloved chocolate treat makes a surprising return to the supermarket shelves after over a decade—but with a twist.

The classic Polly Waffle is making a grand comeback but with a modern take sure to delight old and new fans.

Menz, the confectionery manufacturer, has confirmed that the long-awaited Polly Waffle will be reintroduced as Polly Waffle Bites.

These bite-sized morsels aim to capture the essence of the original chocolate bar, offering a new way to enjoy the nostalgic flavour many have been craving.

Starting Friday, April 12, customers can find the 125g bags of Polly Waffle Bites at Coles and Woolworths.

The rollout will also include independent supermarkets, petrol and convenience stores.

compressed-menz 2.jpeg
The Polly Waffle now takes on a new form with Polly Waffle Bites, and is ready to hit the shelves tomorrow. Image Credit: Facebook/Menz

The reimagined treats will also be available at Menz’ FruChocs shops, both in-store and online.

Phil Sims, the CEO of Menz, expressed his excitement about the comeback of the classic Polly Waffle flavour.

'It's been more than 10 years since customers last saw Polly Waffle on shelves, and we're thrilled to bring an iconic Aussie treat back into their hands in the form of the Polly Waffle Bites,' he said.

The Menz team has been diligently working to recreate the magic of the Polly Waffle, and they are grateful for the patience of Aussies.

However, some customers have expressed disappointment due to the change in form.

‘Bring back the bars,’ one comment read.

‘I think I’ll pass,’ another read.

On the other hand, some sweet tooths welcome the change with open arms.

‘I have been impatiently waiting for this. My fave of all time,’ one comment said.

Since its creation in 1947, the Polly Waffle has been a staple treat among Aussies for years, with its signature mix of textures and flavours.

However, sales for the Polly Waffle ceased in 2009.

With the help of the federal government, Menz received a $1 Million grant to recreate the beloved chocolate snack during the pandemic.

The decision to bring it back in a bite-sized format is a testament to food innovation and the power of consumer nostalgia.

The Polly Waffle Bites are more than just a new product on the shelves, it's a piece of Australian confectionery history making a sweet comeback.

Key Takeaways

• The iconic Australian chocolate bar Polly Waffle is making a comeback to supermarket shelves in the form of Polly Waffle Bites.
  • The new Polly Waffle Bites will be available in 125g bags at major retailers such as Coles and Woolworths, as well as independent supermarkets and various petrol and convenience stores.
  • Menz CEO Phil Sims expressed excitement about the return of the Polly Waffle, which has been absent from the market for over a decade.
  • While some customers have shown disappointment that Polly Waffle is not returning in its original bar form, others are eagerly anticipating the new bite-sized version.
Will you rush to your nearest supermarket to relive the Polly Waffle experience, or are you hoping for a full-sized comeback? Share your thoughts and memories of the Polly Waffle in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a ridiculous waste of federal grant money. I’m sure society would continue to survive without this extra red food group. How about, when they want to waste money like that, they divert it to the homeless, hospitals, foodbanks etc.
What a smack in the face for the more deserving.

What a ridiculous waste of federal grant money. I’m sure society would continue to survive without this extra red food group. How about, when they want to waste money like that, they divert it to the homeless, hospitals, foodbanks etc.
What a smack in the face for the more deserving.
We the taxpayers do just that. It's called welfare payments. $1m would go absolutely nowhere, the welfare budget in this country (2023) was well over $200BILLION.

Reactions: PattiB
The original I feel was liked for the chocolate the waffle and especially the marshmallow all combined, I think the new product will be mostly chocolate and waffle but very small amount of marshmallow! Bring back the original that many liked so much and I am sure sales will be big and more profitable

To be honest as much as I love Polly Waffles these remind me of Maltesers and as much as I am tempted to buy them to try them I can only imagine the cost of it. When I read about it ages ago coming back I was led to believe it would be the original form. I guess they move with the times... if I happen to head into either Woolies or Coles sometime today I might check them out. will keep you posted what I think...

A bag size of 125gms for $5.50 per bag and apparantely they are delicious according to the food blogger guy.😋

Last edited:
I wonder of the food blogger guy has ever tasted the original Polly Waffle? :)
Yep that’s why he’s the food blogger guy I look him up every time there’s new products.
He’s on instagram “Russ eats” he’s an Aussie and gets the first bag of anything new and doesn’t get paid for his reviews so they are honest.😊look him up he’s fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Girl
How does a company get a $1 million fed govt subsidy during covid ... and only now produce the product. Covid subsidies were supposed to help during the pandemic.
Near my place the govt decided to replace an old fishing jetty at $9 million as a covid employment project, 4 years later they've got as far as putting up a sign explaining the project.