Cook time 10 minutes

Serves 4

Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-Stir-Fry-6-680x952.jpg

Recipe by recipetineats

Ingredients​

SAUCE​

• 1/2 cup white sugar (Note 1)
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple pieces)
  • 3 tbsp tomato sauce)
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (Note 2)
  • 1 tsp soy sauce , light or all purpose (Note 2)
  • 1 tsp Oyster Sauce (Note 2)
  • 1/4 tsp salt

THICKENER​

• 1 tbsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water , mixed together

STIR FRY​

• 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 garlic clove , minced or finely chopped
  • 1 onion , halved and sliced (brown or white)
  • 400 g chicken thigh fillets , cut into bite size pieces (Note 3)
  • 1 red capsicum , cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 green or yellow capsicum , cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 can (250g) canned pineapple pieces in natural juice. Separate pineapple from juice.
  • Sliced shallots for garnish
  • Mix together Sauce ingredients. Mix together Thickener in a separate small bowl.
  • Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute.
  • Add chicken and stir fry until it it is white all over but still pink inside.
  • Add capsicum and stir fry for 2 minutes.
  • Add Sauce ingredients. Stir until sugar has dissolved and the sauce begins to bubble.
  • Add Thickener. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Then cook until it thickens to a syrup consistency - about 3 minutes.
  • Stir through pineapple pieces (just to warm) and remove from stove.
  • Serve immediately with rice - or for a low carb, low cal option, try Cauliflower rice Garnish with shallots if desired.

Recipe Notes:​

1. I know 1/2 cup of sugar sounds like a lot, but it works out at 1 1/2 tbsp per serving, which isn't too bad!

I use 1/4 cup when I'm trying to be healthy. 🙂 It's still quite sweet, but not restaurant sweet. Using 1/2 cup makes it closer to restaurant sweet. I use less sugar than many recipes you'll find on the internet - some use 1 cup of sugar!!

2. These 3 ingredients are what makes this sauce more like the Sweet & Sour sauce that is served at Chinese restaurants. They are my "secret ingredients"! You can omit one (substitute with more of one of the others) and it will still taste similar. But please don't leave out all 3! The sauce will taste quite flat and bland.

3. If you are using chicken breast which is leaner, I would recommend tenderising it to make it juicier -

Velveting Chicken: Tenderise chicken the Chinese restaurant way!

Here’s how to velvet chicken:

• For every 250g chicken breast strips or pieces, toss with 3/4 tsp bi - carb soda
  • Marinate for 20 minutes
  • Rinse well under running water, pat with paper towel to remove excess water
  • Cook per chosen recipe and marvel at the most tender chicken breast you’ve ever had, just like at Chinese restaurants!!!
I only tenderise chicken breast because it’s so lean. I find chicken thigh tender and juicy enough to use without tenderising
4. Nutrition per serving, stir fry only. If the sugar is reduced to 1/4 cup, then it reduces to 351 calories per serving.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry nutrition

Last edited:
Sponsored

Prep time 10 minutes

Cook time 10 minutes

Serves 4

View attachment 38250

Recipe by recipetineats

Ingredients​

SAUCE​

• 3 tbsp tomato sauce)
  • 1/4 tsp salt

THICKENER​

STIR FRY​

• 1 can (250g) canned pineapple pieces in natural juice. Separate pineapple from juice.
  • Mix together Sauce ingredients. Mix together Thickener in a separate small bowl.
  • Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute.
  • Add Sauce ingredients. Stir until sugar has dissolved and the sauce begins to bubble.
  • Add Thickener. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Then cook until it thickens to a syrup consistency - about 3 minutes.
  • Serve immediately with rice - or for a low carb, low cal option, try Cauliflower rice Garnish with shallots if desired.

1. I know 1/2 cup of sugar sounds like a lot, but it works out at 1 1/2 tbsp per serving, which isn't too bad!

I use 1/4 cup when I'm trying to be healthy. 🙂 It's still quite sweet, but not restaurant sweet. Using 1/2 cup makes it closer to restaurant sweet. I use less sugar than many recipes you'll find on the internet - some use 1 cup of sugar!!

2. These 3 ingredients are what makes this sauce more like the Sweet & Sour sauce that is served at Chinese restaurants. They are my "secret ingredients"! You can omit one (substitute with more of one of the others) and it will still taste similar. But please don't leave out all 3! The sauce will taste quite flat and bland.

3. If you are using chicken breast which is leaner, I would recommend tenderising it to make it juicier -

• For every 250g chicken breast strips or pieces, toss with 3/4 tsp bi - carb soda
  • Cook per chosen recipe and marvel at the most tender chicken breast you’ve ever had, just like at Chinese restaurants!!!
I only tenderise chicken breast because it’s so lean. I find chicken thigh tender and juicy enough to use without tenderising
4. Nutrition per serving, stir fry only. If the sugar is reduced to 1/4 cup, then it reduces to 351 calories per serving.
I USUALLY USE ALDI S AND S SAUCE BUT WILL DEFINATELY TRY A REAL VERSION

Reactions: Suzanne rose

Prep time 10 minutes

Cook time 10 minutes

Serves 4

View attachment 38250

Recipe by recipetineats

Ingredients​

SAUCE​

• 3 tbsp tomato sauce)
  • 1/4 tsp salt

THICKENER​

STIR FRY​

Will give a try it's very similar to the old woman's weekly recipe I can recommend this old gem it's full of Chinese Australian recipes I think it was printed late 60s early 70s not sure .

Real is better , this one I wouldn't add bacon 😉
no doubt , sometimes bit too lazy , the aldi is a good backup and NO BACON . this was pork . works great for chicken as well and i always "velvert" both first ,

Attachments

• 20231218_185919 (1).jpg
    20231218_185919 (1).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: