Surviving romance fraud: Brave victims help others avoid heartbreak and scams

Content warning: This story discusses themes some members may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

Romance fraud, a cruel and manipulative crime that leaves victims emotionally and financially devastated, is on the rise.

Despite the severity of the damage inflicted, victims often find their distress dismissed by authorities as mere 'relationship troubles'.

Now, two brave women who have experienced this heart-wrenching ordeal have stepped up to change the narrative and provide much-needed support for fellow victims.

Cecilie Fjellhøy and Anna Rowe, both victims of romance fraud, have established LoveSaid, an initiative aimed at raising awareness about this insidious crime and providing support programmes for those affected.

Their mission is to ensure that romance fraud is taken seriously and that victims receive the help they need to recover.

SDC 14.png
Romance fraud has been on the rise. Image source: Freepik.

Fjellhøy's story was featured in the 2022 Netflix true crime documentary, The Tinder Swindler.

She was conned out of £200,000 (approximately $377,600 AUD) by a man named Simon Leviev posing as a high-level diamond trader.

Despite his incarceration, Fjellhøy reported that he is allegedly operating scams again in Germany following his release.

Rowe, on the other hand, was sexually exploited by a man who she believed loved her as much as she loved him.

When she reported him to the police, she was initially dismissed and took two years for them to take her case seriously.

She then took matters into her own hands and compiled a dossier of 16 other cases, which included two rapes and one sexual assault.

However, she says a file on eight or nine of the cases is still under consideration by the UK Crown Prosecution Service.

According to data released by Lloyds Bank in February, romance scams increased by 30 per cent last year, with men making up 53 per cent of cases.

The 65 to 74 age group were also reportedly most likely to be targeted.

In October, the City of London police published data from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau and revealed they had received 8,036 fraud reports, resulting in a loss of more than £92 million (approximately $175,393,000 AUD).

Fjellhøy and Rowe are adamant about changing the language and perception surrounding romance fraud. They argue that phrases like 'you fell for a scam' unfairly blame the victim and that the trauma associated with romance fraud is unique and severe.

Rowe explained, 'You have an illusion of a relationship. It's that soulmate connection that every little girl dreams of. What this man did to me was somehow give me confidence in myself.'

'When I realised this guy never existed, it made me feel much worse. It’s double grieving.'

'It’s not something you can get over easily. I’m seven years down the line now, and the emotions are still bubbling under the surface. That’s why it is so important that long-term support is available for victims of these scams.'

Fjellhøy echoed this sentiment, saying: 'The man I loved was never real. He faked everything. In a sense, I still loved him—or the person I thought he was.'

The duo emphasised that there is no typical victim of a romance scam. They say they’ve been contacted by thousands of people since they started raising awareness about this crime.

The victims range from teenagers to octogenarians, both men and women, from a variety of backgrounds.

'The qualities they have in common are that they are kind, empathetic, trustworthy people and at the time of the scam, they are situationally vulnerable. That’s when it can all go wrong.'

Despite the grim reality for victims of romance scams, Fjellhøy and Rowe are hopeful. They believe that with the right support, victims can emerge as warriors. They are encouraged by the positive response from fraud authorities and are determined to fight against this crime.

'There’s no magic wand to fix this,' Rowe said.

'But we know that when people in the upper echelons of the fraud authorities congratulate us and say they want to collaborate with us, they are serious about doing something about this.'

'Cecilie and me, between us, can say: “This is what survivors look like.”'

'If we get the right support, we come out as warriors. Those who want to help in this fight, I call the warrior army. Evil hasn’t won, and we can’t let it win.'
Key Takeaways
  • Two victims of romance fraud have set up LoveSaid, to change perceptions of the crime and provide support to fellow victims.
  • Cecilie Fjellhøy, featured in the Netflix documentary The Tinder Swindler, lost £200,000 (approximately $377,600 AUD) to a conman, whilst Anna Rowe was sexually exploited by a man she believed loved her.
  • Data released by Lloyds Bank in February showed romance scams rose by 30 per cent last year, with the 65 to 74 age group being the most targeted.
  • Fjellhøy and Rowe highlight that there's no typical victim of a romance scam, emphasising that victims are usually kindhearted, empathetic individuals who are taken advantage of during periods of vulnerability.
It's crucial to remember that prevention is the best defence against such scams. Always be cautious when interacting with strangers online, never share personal or financial information, and trust your instincts. If something feels off, it probably is.

We’re curious to know about your thoughts on this story, members. Feel free to share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm a little confused , did they actually ever meet ?

Who would give someone so much money and was she so blind to fall for his scam.

I think the problem is too many people jump into a relationship too quick. I know someone who met someone on line and felt she was in love when she hadn't even met the person. I know by talking to someone on line you feel you get to know them, and in alot of cases that is true but when you meet them in person that's when you should be able to read them.

Who would give someone that much money or give them access to their accounts. She must have let him know she had money . I think make out to the person you are speaking to that you actually have no savings or property and that will get rid of the weed's

0When people are lonely, especially the elderly and infirm, they will grasp at any straw. It is easy to fool these people if the conman and women know how to play on their loneliness, this makes it hard for genuine people to develop true relationships.

Content warning: This story discusses themes some members may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

Romance fraud, a cruel and manipulative crime that leaves victims emotionally and financially devastated, is on the rise.

Despite the severity of the damage inflicted, victims often find their distress dismissed by authorities as mere 'relationship troubles'.

Now, two brave women who have experienced this heart-wrenching ordeal have stepped up to change the narrative and provide much-needed support for fellow victims.

Cecilie Fjellhøy and Anna Rowe, both victims of romance fraud, have established LoveSaid, an initiative aimed at raising awareness about this insidious crime and providing support programmes for those affected.

Their mission is to ensure that romance fraud is taken seriously and that victims receive the help they need to recover.

View attachment 36016

Fjellhøy's story was featured in the 2022 Netflix true crime documentary, The Tinder Swindler.

She was conned out of £200,000 (approximately $377,600 AUD) by a man named Simon Leviev posing as a high-level diamond trader.

Despite his incarceration, Fjellhøy reported that he is allegedly operating scams again in Germany following his release.

Rowe, on the other hand, was sexually exploited by a man who she believed loved her as much as she loved him.

When she reported him to the police, she was initially dismissed and took two years for them to take her case seriously.

She then took matters into her own hands and compiled a dossier of 16 other cases, which included two rapes and one sexual assault.

However, she says a file on eight or nine of the cases is still under consideration by the UK Crown Prosecution Service.

According to data released by Lloyds Bank in February, romance scams increased by 30 per cent last year, with men making up 53 per cent of cases.

In October, the City of London police published data from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau and revealed they had received 8,036 fraud reports, resulting in a loss of more than £92 million (approximately $175,393,000 AUD).

Fjellhøy and Rowe are adamant about changing the language and perception surrounding romance fraud. They argue that phrases like 'you fell for a scam' unfairly blame the victim and that the trauma associated with romance fraud is unique and severe.

Rowe explained, 'You have an illusion of a relationship. It's that soulmate connection that every little girl dreams of. What this man did to me was somehow give me confidence in myself.'

'When I realised this guy never existed, it made me feel much worse. It’s double grieving.'

'It’s not something you can get over easily. I’m seven years down the line now, and the emotions are still bubbling under the surface. That’s why it is so important that long-term support is available for victims of these scams.'

Fjellhøy echoed this sentiment, saying: 'The man I loved was never real. He faked everything. In a sense, I still loved him—or the person I thought he was.'

The duo emphasised that there is no typical victim of a romance scam. They say they’ve been contacted by thousands of people since they started raising awareness about this crime.

The victims range from teenagers to octogenarians, both men and women, from a variety of backgrounds.

'The qualities they have in common are that they are kind, empathetic, trustworthy people and at the time of the scam, they are situationally vulnerable. That’s when it can all go wrong.'

Despite the grim reality for victims of romance scams, Fjellhøy and Rowe are hopeful. They believe that with the right support, victims can emerge as warriors. They are encouraged by the positive response from fraud authorities and are determined to fight against this crime.

'But we know that when people in the upper echelons of the fraud authorities congratulate us and say they want to collaborate with us, they are serious about doing something about this.'

'If we get the right support, we come out as warriors. Those who want to help in this fight, I call the warrior army. Evil hasn’t won, and we can’t let it win.'
Key Takeaways

• Two victims of romance fraud have set up LoveSaid, to change perceptions of the crime and provide support to fellow victims.
  • Cecilie Fjellhøy, featured in the Netflix documentary The Tinder Swindler, lost £200,000 (approximately $377,600 AUD) to a conman, whilst Anna Rowe was sexually exploited by a man she believed loved her.
  • Data released by Lloyds Bank in February showed romance scams rose by 30 per cent last year, with the 65 to 74 age group being the most targeted.
  • Fjellhøy and Rowe highlight that there's no typical victim of a romance scam, emphasising that victims are usually kindhearted, empathetic individuals who are taken advantage of during periods of vulnerability.
It's crucial to remember that prevention is the best defence against such scams. Always be cautious when interacting with strangers online, never share personal or financial information, and trust your instincts. If something feels off, it probably is.

We’re curious to know about your thoughts on this story, members. Feel free to share them in the comments below!
It happened to me over a period of 3yrs and I lost everything I’d worked my entire life for. That was 6yrs ago and I still suffer panic attacks and PTSD. Thank you for sharing this story and I’ll check out the LoveSaid site

I am starting now to show my grandchildren names in Facebook which are obviously fictitious. This is to show them that people can be anyone they want on the internet. I have even proved to them that some profiles are dogs. This way I hope to teach them that they have to be very aware of what information they give out and not trust these sites however I am also lucky enough to have a daughter whom, after much diligence, has found live on a dating site. I like this gentleman and have just spent a lovely Christmas at their house

0When people are lonely, especially the elderly and infirm, they will grasp at any straw. It is easy to fool these people if the conman and women know how to play on their loneliness, this makes it hard for genuine people to develop true relationships.
So true. Not to mention anyone with a mental disability. A lot of scammers on Facebook from Gambia contact people . Unfortunately some people just want to believe them until it's too late and no matter what you say, show or prove to them , they refuse to believe.

View attachment 36016

Key Takeaways

When people ask questions on quora that seem like a red flag that they are possibly a victim of scammers, I try to warn them by sharing my own experiences. I fell victim a few times. I was so desperate to have someone really love me. I've had so many bad experiences with men, that I don't trust them. The thing is...if they'd been in genuine need to help feed their family, I would have gladly shared. I hate the lies. And I hate the fact that I don't know who they really were, or what they're doing. At least you know they've been to prison. For all I know, money I've given could be spent on drugs or other criminal activities. I'd be happy if I knew it just bought a nice car or house

When people ask questions on quora that seem like a red flag that they are possibly a victim of scammers, I try to warn them by sharing my own experiences. I fell victim a few times. I was so desperate to have someone really love me. I've had so many bad experiences with men, that I don't trust them. The thing is...if they'd been in genuine need to help feed their family, I would have gladly shared. I hate the lies. And I hate the fact that I don't know who they really were, or what they're doing. At least you know they've been to prison. For all I know, money I've given could be spent on drugs or other criminal activities. I'd be happy if I knew it just bought a nice car or house
I’d like some love back in my life after 5 years alone but I’m not that desperate it’ll happen when it happens.😊

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 36016

Key Takeaways

Good onya ladies, stand tall and fight for your right. They say women are weak, but we are stronger than they anticipated. God bless you both for coming out with this.

any person whisks for money from anyone they have not met is very likely scammer, if not a scammer, then is definitely not a person to get involved with as anyone who has the nerve to ask or expect a total stranger to give them money (EVEN IF GENUINE) is a very poor example of a man/woman and definitely not a person for a lonely person. (easy target)

Reactions: marni