Survey reveals a majority of Australian seniors are in favour of smacking

Last week, we asked you, our wonderful SDC members, whether you think it’s okay to smack your children/grandchildren. You can find the poll here.

With 70.1% and 47 votes, the majority of SDC members voted… ‘YES’.

In second place was the ‘no’ votes with 22.4% and 15 votes.

7.5% of those surveyed, comprised of 5 voters, opted to explain their answer in the comments instead.

Shall we take a look at what your fellow members had to say about this contentious topic?

Let’s jump in!

SDC members vote on whether smacking is okay (1).jpg
The results are in. Credit: SDC

For:

Member @Marvin Kombi: ‘I believe the problem these days with the longer generations is lack of discipline. Granted that, in our day, teachers, parents and caregivers went overboard with the whole discipline thing, but I firmly believe that bad behaviour deserves a reasonably firm smack on the bottom or back of legs with an open hand. Implements should never be used. Kids need to learn that there are severe consequences for bad behaviour, not just a firm word.’

Member @Nitwits: ‘Yes, a firm smack is all that is needed. I agree. Quiet time in the corner or sending them to their room does very little. Evidence of the lack of respect and other problems in the community tells us something is not working.’

Member @Macs-241: ‘Spanking is a way of discipline used to better your child for the future, to make them understand that there are consequences to their actions and disobedience. Spanking can also be used to stop kids from doing something they shouldn't be doing or stopping them from doing something dangerous that can potentially harm them.’

Member @ShirleyC2023: ‘People are forgetting that there is a difference between smacking and child abuse. It’s why our new youth today are so spoilt, disrespectful, get everything they want and do not know the meaning of "NO".’

Member @NotNats: ‘Smacking is ok up to the age of say 3 or 4 as a child under that age cannot fully understand other types of corrective behaviour. One slap with a firm NO is all that should be needed. Past that age, I believe a child can understand corrective behaviour like, time out or explaining why you have taken their favourite toy or made them sit in a corner (and never facing the wall). But always remember, if your hand slap has left a mark that lasts for more than a minute or two then you have slapped that child too hard.’

Member @Ian1: ‘My late parents raised us with firm physical punishment (by both smacking and the cane) if we misbehaved. It taught us what boundaries are, and we loved them dearly nonetheless. Also, we were given “six of the best” at school, which was a significant deterrent. There has certainly been a shift in ground-level punishment since we were kids in the 50’s and 60’s, and I believe these deterrents should be reinstated. We were taught RIGHT from WRONG.’

‘As for grandparents dishing out punishment, I’m not in favour, as they are not their kids. The grandparents were most likely raised without being interfered with by their grandparents. The discipline of children should begin with their natural parents or guardians. The most input the grandparents should have, beyond having their own house rules, is to report the kids’ errant behaviour for the parents to deal with appropriately.’

Against:

Member @Isis: What a conundrum. In the 40’s, a lot of children, including me, knew that do wrong, you get smacked. I was more than smacked, I was hit with a leather belt, my hiding place dads dogs kennel with the dog in front of me, he wouldn’t hit the dog.’

‘I was like most mums then the one in charge, yes my children were spanked. Always told you do this, I do this. Your choice, not mine.’

‘Now for the turnabout. Leaving a job I trained in my 50’s to work in childcare, over 12 years I had the best time both playing with teaching and loving these children, we couldn’t even say NO, I learned to express myself in many different ways. Eg, “I don’t like that.”
So there it is, discipline, yes. Find their currency and use it. Smacking not so much.’

Member @Suzanne rose: ‘When you look at bullies, you will find they are how they are because of the abuse they are copping from their parents and guardians.’

Member @lea61: ‘I did smack my children because that was what we did, but I would never lay a hand on my grandchildren I have learnt there are better ways to discipline a child. Plus my grandsons, all 7 of them, are like their grandma PERRRFECTTT 😆

Alternatives to smacking:

Don’t want to resort to smacking but need a discipline method? Our wonderful members have provided some suggestions below:
Member @Suzanne rose: ‘I've always done punishments by removing a much-loved item for a certain time, this included video games. My other punishment was time out and if my eldest 2 sons would fight then I would make them hug for a few minutes and sing “we are the very best brothers”.’

Member @Sylvsptr: ‘The tone of your voice should be enough. My Dad just had to give us the look, and that was enough.’

We did warn you that it was a contentious one!

Want to read more? We’ve previously shared an article explaining the research behind smacking. Experts were able to discover whether or not smacking is harmful to children. You can read more here.

We’ll keep Your Say Sunday as a regular instalment, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled each week, and don’t forget to have your say!

Sponsored
Last week, we asked you, our wonderful SDC members, whether you think it’s okay to smack your children/grandchildren. You can find the poll here.

7.5% of those surveyed, comprised of 5 voters, opted to explain their answer in the comments instead.

Shall we take a look at what your fellow members had to say about this contentious topic?

Let’s jump in!

View attachment 15298

For:

Member @Marvin Kombi: ‘I believe the problem these days with the longer generations is lack of discipline. Granted that, in our day, teachers, parents and caregivers went overboard with the whole discipline thing, but I firmly believe that bad behaviour deserves a reasonably firm smack on the bottom or back of legs with an open hand. Implements should never be used. Kids need to learn that there are severe consequences for bad behaviour, not just a firm word.’

Member @Nitwits: ‘Yes, a firm smack is all that is needed. I agree. Quiet time in the corner or sending them to their room does very little. Evidence of the lack of respect and other problems in the community tells us something is not working.’

Member @Macs-241: ‘Spanking is a way of discipline used to better your child for the future, to make them understand that there are consequences to their actions and disobedience. Spanking can also be used to stop kids from doing something they shouldn't be doing or stopping them from doing something dangerous that can potentially harm them.’

Member @ShirleyC2023: ‘People are forgetting that there is a difference between smacking and child abuse. It’s why our new youth today are so spoilt, disrespectful, get everything they want and do not know the meaning of "NO".’

Member @NotNats: ‘Smacking is ok up to the age of say 3 or 4 as a child under that age cannot fully understand other types of corrective behaviour. One slap with a firm NO is all that should be needed. Past that age, I believe a child can understand corrective behaviour like, time out or explaining why you have taken their favourite toy or made them sit in a corner (and never facing the wall). But always remember, if your hand slap has left a mark that lasts for more than a minute or two then you have slapped that child too hard.’

Member @Ian1: ‘My late parents raised us with firm physical punishment (by both smacking and the cane) if we misbehaved. It taught us what boundaries are, and we loved them dearly nonetheless. Also, we were given “six of the best” at school, which was a significant deterrent. There has certainly been a shift in ground-level punishment since we were kids in the 50’s and 60’s, and I believe these deterrents should be reinstated. We were taught RIGHT from WRONG.’

‘As for grandparents dishing out punishment, I’m not in favour, as they are not their kids. The grandparents were most likely raised without being interfered with by their grandparents. The discipline of children should begin with their natural parents or guardians. The most input the grandparents should have, beyond having their own house rules, is to report the kids’ errant behaviour for the parents to deal with appropriately.’

Against:

Member @Isis: What a conundrum. In the 40’s, a lot of children, including me, knew that do wrong, you get smacked. I was more than smacked, I was hit with a leather belt, my hiding place dads dogs kennel with the dog in front of me, he wouldn’t hit the dog.’

‘I was like most mums then the one in charge, yes my children were spanked. Always told you do this, I do this. Your choice, not mine.’

‘Now for the turnabout. Leaving a job I trained in my 50’s to work in childcare, over 12 years I had the best time both playing with teaching and loving these children, we couldn’t even say NO, I learned to express myself in many different ways. Eg, “I don’t like that.”
So there it is, discipline, yes. Find their currency and use it. Smacking not so much.’

Member @Suzanne rose: ‘When you look at bullies, you will find they are how they are because of the abuse they are copping from their parents and guardians.’

Member @lea61: ‘I did smack my children because that was what we did, but I would never lay a hand on my grandchildren I have learnt there are better ways to discipline a child. Plus my grandsons, all 7 of them, are like their grandma PERRRFECTTT 😆

Don’t want to resort to smacking but need a discipline method? Our wonderful members have provided some suggestions below:
Member @Suzanne rose: ‘I've always done punishments by removing a much-loved item for a certain time, this included video games. My other punishment was time out and if my eldest 2 sons would fight then I would make them hug for a few minutes and sing “we are the very best brothers”.’

Member @Sylvsptr: ‘The tone of your voice should be enough. My Dad just had to give us the look, and that was enough.’

Want to read more? We’ve previously shared an article explaining the research behind smacking. Experts were able to discover whether or not smacking is harmful to children. You can read more here.

We’ll keep Your Say Sunday as a regular instalment, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled each week, and don’t forget to have your say!
I don't give a bugger what anyone says the old adage is true,
Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child

I did give my two boys a slap when I thought they needed it but to be honest it never worked with my youngest - nothing did! He had a will of iron and no amount of taking away toys, restricting tv, grounding etc made any difference. I found the best solution was to explain why what he was doing was the wrong thing and why I had a problem with it. If I gave him a good enough reason, that worked. I would never even consider laying a finger on my grandkids, they are not my kids, but I’ve also found with them explaining actions and consequences works just fine.

Let’s jump in!

View attachment 15298

For:

Against:

I realise it is rather late to add my bit to the conversation but I only just read about it...I'm a newcomer.
First of all, I don't feel a smack hurts anyone...only their feelings if it's from a loved one!
However, I was a teacher for nigh on 40 years and my voice did it for me....my husband calls it my 'teacher's voice'!
If my class was noisy, I just stood and waited quietly until they got the message, which they did.
I think I smacked my children with my hand only...it was so long ago.
I don't remember smacking my grandchildren at any time, and I certainly have NEVER smacked my beautiful great grandchildren....my voice does it all when necessary.

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
Like Colette my youngest was a fiend. Thankfully,grew into the most beautiful young man and a truly wonderful dad and husband. Smacking did nothing for him other than making his behaviour more outrageous. His sister,on the other hand,could be stopped in her tracks,can STILL be stopped in her tracks by a look! That mum look we all know so well. It’s a look that works on the grandies as well. I would never lay a hand on the grandchildren. Not my kids. That said,I’ve seen many a child who could benefit from a swift smack on the bum. There is a HUGE difference between abuse and discipline. The people who carry on about how parents are abusing their children are living in a fantasy world. My parents spanked me and I never hated them and I surely knew the consequences of certain actions. And I also turned out pretty well!

My boys received an occasional smack (when naughty) when small but a look was quite sufficient in their latter years.
Rarely did I receive the strap as a child; the smell of the leather belt or a comment from my mother was enough to dissuade me from any unseemly behaviour.
The worst treatment I got at school was a flying duster, flung at me by my Maths teacher

Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
A gentle smack NOT a wallop on the backside is OK. My dad gave me the strap if I did something wrong that deserved the strap (1950s). He never hit me hard just enough to sting a bit. Never left a mark. The cane came out at school if you were naughty but that was not a common event.

Reactions: Ricci
There is a big difference between smacking, belting and abusing and I am all for smacking, it teaches the child right from wrong!!

Reactions: Ricci
My kids used to get the occasional smack for wrongdoing but a lot of the time we just used to count, usually down from 5 to 1. Recently my son asked what would have happened if we ever got to 1 and I had to admit I had no idea, it had never happened! The tone of voice and their own imagination was enough to scare the bejesus out of them! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :D

Reactions: Colette 3799