Survey finds 90% of Centrelink recipients found to be doing it tough in summer heat - when did health become a luxury?

We all know summers get hot in Australia, and for most Aussies that also means spending a couple of dollars more just to try and keep cool by having fans and air conditioning units on at full blast.

For 90 per cent of respondents on Centrelink payments in a recent survey, however, the heat was so bad it made them ill.

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) polled 208 recipients of Centrelink payments in January to find out how they were faring amid the heat, including the costs of their energy bills and how the high temperatures impacted their physical and mental health.

They found that 72.1 per cent of those surveyed, who rented, reported being unable to cool their homes down in periods of hot weather.

About 70 per cent had some form of ventilation available in their homes, but also said that it wasn’t sufficient.

A whopping 94.5 per cent of those who had air conditioning reported not using the devices to avoid high electricity bills.

But perhaps more concerningly, 29.8 per cent admitted they needed medical treatment for heat-related conditions, particularly among the elderly and those with disabilities.

Eighty-nine per cent of the respondents also said they sometimes, at the very least, felt unwell in summer temperatures.

photo-1574099868507-ffa48e8f2edf.jpg
Summer evokes visions of sunny days and picturesque beaches, but for some Aussies, it means struggling to keep cool at home. Image Credit: Unsplash

Liz and Mike, aged 52 and 62, respectively, who live in NSW, are at a loss how they should cope with the heat.

The two are Austudy recipients living with their two kids, and are retraining to help with a shortage of teachers in Wagga Wagga.

But while they help address one problem, so are they confronted with another in the form of insulating their home against high temperatures.

‘There’s bugger all insulation in the roof,’ Liz said. ‘Once it gets a bit over 30 degrees it’s just really hot, and there’s nothing you can do about it.’

‘The cost of energy just adds to an already stressful situation… We just have to exist through the heat. We can’t go anywhere because we can’t afford to pay for anything like going to the cinema.’

‘I just sit in front of a fan spraying myself with water to cool down. Sleeping is extremely difficult.

Mike, who suffers from diabetes, says at times the heat takes its toll on his health. All he could do is drink lots of water and hope their evaporative cooler did its job.

‘My husband has been to hospital a couple of times because he is dehydrated. He takes hydralite, but that is expensive so he limits it,’ Liz shared.

According to the pair, about 90 per cent of their electricity bills is from running their cooling system (hot water and cooking are on gas).

To put things in perspective, the couple pointed out that their last quarterly bill cost $700, while their Austudy benefits amounted to $306.30 weekly.

‘We’re basically living in poverty until we get our degrees, and Jobseeker is pathetic,’ Liz stressed. ‘You can’t study in the heat. And it impacts our kids, too.’

‘I was really hopeful that the Labor party would get in and do something to help people, increase welfare payments, but I don’t know if they’re going to. But it’s really essential.’

photo-1622473541207-c59995fa6b4c.jpg
Almost all respondents in ACOSS’ recent poll who had air conditioning at home said they avoided using it too much over cost concerns. Image Credit: Unsplash

Across the country in Perth, Clare, a Disability Support Pension beneficiary, also has a hard time with the summer heat.

‘I have recorded indoor temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius. It is usually 10 degrees hotter inside than outside in the evenings, and opening up the windows and doors is pointless unless there’s a good breeze,’ she said.

‘I have to cool my home despite how expensive it is because of my health problems. I have fibromyalgia, chronic migraine, and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.’

‘All of these are exponentially exacerbated by heat. The hotter it is, the worse my fatigue and weakness, the more frequent and persistent the migraine, and I am more likely to have heart rate spikes with blood pressure drops that can result in losing consciousness.’

ACOSS’ poll brought attention to the need for both federal and state governments to improve on optimising housing to be more energy-efficient and introducing standards.

In addition, the group stressed that there should be financial relief for people struggling to manage energy-related debt among items in the upcoming federal budget deliberations in May.

‘This survey shows how people on the lowest incomes are being impacted first, worst, and longest by hot weather. The level and duration are being made worse by climate change,’ Cassandra Goldie, Chief Executive of ACOSS said.

‘Too many people are living in housing that is poorly insulated and far too hot in summer.’

‘Soaring energy bills and woefully inadequate income support levels mean they cannot afford to keep themselves cool – and this is having a serious impact on their physical and mental health.’

And as summer slowly gives way to autumn, another challenge is just around the corner for homes with poor insulation: winter.

Key Takeaways

• Nearly 90% of people on income support payments said the inability to cool their homes in hot weather is making them sick in a recent Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) poll.
  • ACOSS has called on the federal and state governments to do more to help people in hot weather, such as implementing minimum energy efficiency standards for rental, substantially lifting income support payments, and providing debt relief.
  • The climate crisis affects people on low incomes the worst, according to the council, with many struggling to afford energy bills and keep themselves cool in hot weather, leading to serious physical and mental health impacts.
Hopefully, action on this problem will be addressed sooner rather than later, considering that lives are on the line.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Have you had similar difficulties at home dealing with the heat?
What reforms do you think the government can introduce regarding improving insulation for housing, considering winter is just around the corner?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have air but am reluctant to run it because of the cost. I am registered with my power company due to a health condition but what good is that when you cannot afford the bills and it was announced last night on the media that one power company here in Queensland was going to put up power bills by 14%. I thought we were living a fair and equitable country, but it seems that all the overseas problems are dictating what happens here. Maybe we should go nuclear?

I live in Southern NSW and I haven't used my aircon at all this year. Not because of the running costs but because the weather we've had hasn't warranted it. I think summer was last week, Tuesday! Summers aren't what they once were, I haven't even changed my aircon from heat to cool this year. Hopefully the winter will be mild too so I don't have to run the heating! ;)

I feel that regulations and standards need to be checked before any property is available for rental; both in government and private places. And some minimum requirements would be roof insulation, solar panels, and window heat block out (preferably with outdoor security roller blinds). And no excuses: the owner upgrades and maintains such facilities, otherwise they should be held accountable.

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci
I moved into my home in central NSW 10 years ago, it has 2 air conditioners that i have never turned on. I cannot remember last time we had a day over 40 degrees, or a day in winter when it hung below ten degrees all day. As a aged pensioner with many health problems, i would not be able to afford to use them if i wanted to, but i have never felt the need to. Sometimes i think younger people today are just too soft and need to toughen up a bit. My children and grandchildren are living proof.

We have air con, but don't use it all the time. We turned it on a while ago, due to the high humidity weather. Only needed it for about one week. We always have ceiling fans turned on. People sometimes say it blows hot air, but they do circulate the air flow. Clothes dryers are the worst offenders for electricity costs.

Reactions: Ricci
We have an air conditioner in the lounge supplied by us in our rented house but never turn it on because of the cost. I only have the bedroom fan on the lowest setting at night but my son-in-law has an aircon again supplied by us on until the room has cooled down for his fan to be effective on the highest stage. He has a very low tolerance to heat as he is a 3-time cancer survivor with no lymph nodes in his left arm.. Luckily our rent only went up by $10 a week after 4 years as our landlord is extremely wealthy& has lots of property rented out & owns. plus we have been here for 15 years.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
We are lucky to have put solar and battery storage on our home before my husband retired. We have a ducted air conditioner with zones we can turn off so we only need to cool or heat the rooms we are using. We had this put in when we built the house in 1996, and replaced the motor unit two years ago. We wouldn’t be able to survive without running it, we regularly reach 40 degrees plus in the summer and 0 or less on winter mornings. I work in a business with no air conditioning so it is good to come home to a cool house when I finish. We set the timer so we can get the best use when we need it most. Having solar means our bills are manageable, we also view our air conditioner as more important than eating out, going to coffee shops or the pub. We have never smoked, drink little alcohol, don’t gamble or do drugs which means we have money for what we consider essential for our health and comfort.

My parents living in the country some years ago had No air conditioning or fans. Instead they would leave both the front and backdoor open to allow any breeze to blow through. They did have grape vines planted outside which did give some relief. We were a family of 4 children and two adults plus two extra girls boarding with us. We managed.

I grew up in a house that had an open fire and wood stove that were kept alight all winter, so that was all the heating we had, both were at the very end of the kitchen in an area with only iron walls and roof near them. The open fire was let burn down before we went to bed, the wood fire was stoked up a bit as it had a closed fire box. Our cooling in summer was open doors and windows, no fly screens back then so lots of flys, blowfly buzzing about. There were a lot less mosquitoes around, I can’t ever remember being bitten very much even living with an open house and no screens. No electricity so couldn’t use fans or heaters even if we could’ve afforded them. Back then it was safe to leave the house open day and night, we lived out in the bush with only a few other families around us.

• Love
Reactions: maggiej and Ricci
We had the same and I remember when I had two little ones and of course in nappies etc we washed etc When we cleared out the shes in the stove I would place the child's pajamas in the oven to air. One morning my husband had to drive to the city so was up extra early and did not realise the pj's were in the oven so that he lit the fire to make the house warm and cosy when we woke up. He did not realise the pj's were still in the oven and when we got up and I saw the fire alight I opened the oven door to find them burnt just like paper. Fortunately I was able to make some more as I had a sewing machine. We laugh about it now

Reactions: Ricci