Surprising health benefits of cold showers revealed by a doctor!

Disclaimer: This article is not intended to be taken as medical advice, if in doubt, you should seek advice from your trusted medical professional.

Let’s face it: forgoing the warmth of a regular, steamy shower in favour of a blast of cold water is definitely not what most of us want to do in the morning.

The thought often brings shivers to many, and for some who grew up where hot water running from the showerhead was a luxury, the last thing on our minds is turning the tap down to an ice-cold level.

But according to Dr Poonam Desai, an emergency room and lifestyle physician, we might actually be missing out on some amazing long-term health benefits that the unimaginably chilly water provides us.

Dr Desai recently shared about the science behind cold water therapy and says that we only need a quick shower of cold water 11 minutes a week to reap its health benefits such as an immunity boost, decreased inflammation, improved blood circulation, better sleep, and even reduced wrinkles!

Screenshot 2023-11-24 134716.png
Dr Desai reveals why she takes a very cold bath when showering! Image: Instagram / @doctoranddancer

'Did you know that exposing yourself to cold water has many health benefits?' she said.

‘I recommend about 11 minutes per week and you want to divide that up into two to three sessions of two to three minutes.’

So, what does cold water therapy involve?

It can take place in a variety of different ways. You can experiment with a cold shower or take a dip in an ice-filled bathtub, depending on your preference.

Dr Desai also shares how this routine can do wonders for your body.

'Some of the benefits of exposure include boosting collagen, so it helps increase the elasticity of our skin,' she said.

‘So if you haven’t tried cold exposure, definitely add that into your routine. It has many benefits for our overall health,’ she suggests.

enjoying-shower-back-view-beautiful-young-slim-shirtless-woman-taking-shower-washing-hair-bath...jpg
Experts suggest you may want a cold water routine during showers to have health benefits! Image: Freepik

Research offers further proof as to why cold showers are worth it, too. One study published in the International Journal of Circumpolar Health found that soaking in cold water, specifically immersing in ice water, was found to have potentially ‘reduced or transformed’ body fat and ‘improve sensitivity to insulin’.

According to Bupa, an international healthcare company, many athletes have begun cold-water therapy due to its effectiveness in post-workout soreness.

It’s been found to reduce swelling and inflammation by causing blood vessels to constrict, much like when you apply ice to an injury.

‘Then when you hop out, the temperature difference causes a rapid change, re-opening the vessels, flushing out the muscles’ metabolic waste products and delivering oxygen and nutrients to the muscle,’ Steph, a registered nurse, said.

‘This will reduce your risk of injury next time you work out,’ she added.

In 2016, another study also discovered that those who took cold showers just 30 to 60 seconds a day for 30 days were 30 per cent less likely to call in sick for work or school compared to people who opted for warm showers.

While it may not be the most enjoyable thing to do, experts see why those willing to brave the chill might be experiencing some valuable health advantages.

You may watch Dr Desai’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • Dr Poonam Desai says showering under cold water can improve health, including boosting the immune system and reducing wrinkles.
  • To reap the benefits, she recommends 11 minutes of cold exposure per week, divided into two to three sessions of two to three minutes.
  • Cold water therapy can be done in various ways. You can experiment with a cold shower or take a dip in an ice-filled bathtub, depending on your preference.
  • A 2016 study found people who took cold showers for 30 to 60 seconds for 30 consecutive days were almost 30 per cent less likely to call in sick for work or school than those who took warm showers.

Despite the alleged health benefits of cold showers or immersion, we must note that cold showers may not be for everyone.

We reiterate that you must consult a doctor before you make any drastic changes to your routine.

Have you tried cold water therapy? Let us know in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Sockjoan
Sponsored
I have been finishing all my showers since May with cold water and you adapt quickly. I only shower when I wash my hair as I soak in a bath with magnesium otherwise but I switch when I am ready to rinse off the conditioner then rinse my body. I now have the whole shower much cooler to start with and it is very refreshing. I used to hate showers as I always felt cold when I got out even in summer but I don't anymore. Always feel energised when I get out.

Disclaimer: This article is not intended to be taken as medical advice, if in doubt, you should seek advice from your trusted medical professional.

Let’s face it: forgoing the warmth of a regular, steamy shower in favour of a blast of cold water is definitely not what most of us want to do in the morning.

The thought often brings shivers to many, and for some who grew up where hot water running from the showerhead was a luxury, the last thing on our minds is turning the tap down to an ice-cold level.

But according to Dr Poonam Desai, an emergency room and lifestyle physician, we might actually be missing out on some amazing long-term health benefits that the unimaginably chilly water provides us.

Dr Desai recently shared about the science behind cold water therapy and says that we only need a quick shower of cold water 11 minutes a week to reap its health benefits such as an immunity boost, decreased inflammation, improved blood circulation, better sleep, and even reduced wrinkles!

View attachment 35697
Dr Desai reveals why she takes a very cold bath when showering! Image: Instagram / @doctoranddancer

'Did you know that exposing yourself to cold water has many health benefits?' she said.

‘I recommend about 11 minutes per week and you want to divide that up into two to three sessions of two to three minutes.’

It can take place in a variety of different ways. You can experiment with a cold shower or take a dip in an ice-filled bathtub, depending on your preference.

'Some of the benefits of exposure include boosting collagen, so it helps increase the elasticity of our skin,' she said.

‘So if you haven’t tried cold exposure, definitely add that into your routine. It has many benefits for our overall health,’ she suggests.

View attachment 35698
Experts suggest you may want a cold water routine during showers to have health benefits! Image: Freepik

Research offers further proof as to why cold showers are worth it, too. One study published in the International Journal of Circumpolar Health found that soaking in cold water, specifically immersing in ice water, was found to have potentially ‘reduced or transformed’ body fat and ‘improve sensitivity to insulin’.

According to Bupa, an international healthcare company, many athletes have begun cold-water therapy due to its effectiveness in post-workout soreness.

It’s been found to reduce swelling and inflammation by causing blood vessels to constrict, much like when you apply ice to an injury.

‘Then when you hop out, the temperature difference causes a rapid change, re-opening the vessels, flushing out the muscles’ metabolic waste products and delivering oxygen and nutrients to the muscle,’ Steph, a registered nurse, said.

In 2016, another study also discovered that those who took cold showers just 30 to 60 seconds a day for 30 days were 30 per cent less likely to call in sick for work or school compared to people who opted for warm showers.

While it may not be the most enjoyable thing to do, experts see why those willing to brave the chill might be experiencing some valuable health advantages.

Key Takeaways

• Dr Poonam Desai says showering under cold water can improve health, including boosting the immune system and reducing wrinkles.
  • To reap the benefits, she recommends 11 minutes of cold exposure per week, divided into two to three sessions of two to three minutes.
  • Cold water therapy can be done in various ways. You can experiment with a cold shower or take a dip in an ice-filled bathtub, depending on your preference.
  • A 2016 study found people who took cold showers for 30 to 60 seconds for 30 consecutive days were almost 30 per cent less likely to call in sick for work or school than those who took warm showers.

Despite the alleged health benefits of cold showers or immersion, we must note that cold showers may not be for everyone.

We reiterate that you must consult a doctor before you make any drastic changes to your routine.

you do it your way i will do it my way. wrinkles one gets. yours will come.

Reactions: Nichola and PattiB

View attachment 35697

View attachment 35698

Key Takeaways

I swim in cold pool, have Cold shower by the pool in nature. Freezing when I get in but do it fast, then squats, stretches, swim & shower & shampoo in cold water.. it's divine. Plus in FNQ & 34° Cold is even better.
Love it. Try it. Enjoy it.

Reactions: Nichola
I can't stand cold showers or excessively hot showers. My body can't handle the thermal shock.

Doctor Poonam Desal? I had to laugh! Is her real name Poo Desalination? That's what is done at water recycling plants.

EDIT: Her name is DESAI. Shoulda went to Specsavers.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DLHM and Nichola

View attachment 35697

View attachment 35698

Key Takeaways

Not for me. Dr Desai is somewhat misleading in talking about the benefits of cold water therapy. I’d like to see the proven scientific evidence. As yet there has been no conclusive proof, only limited research and theorising.

Reactions: Nichola