Supermarkets' secret weapon for seducing shoppers decoded

We've all been there: you're checking out at the supermarket, and the cashier hands you your receipt. As you stuff it into your bag, you catch a glimpse of bold text saying, 'You saved $14.50.'

A wave of satisfaction comes over you. You got a great deal! You can't wait to come back to this store for more savings.

Sound familiar? Well, we hate to break it to you, but you've been duped by one of the sneakiest tricks in the supermarket playbook.

Those 'savings' on your receipt are actually also a psychological tactic designed to manipulate you into becoming a loyal, repeat customer. Here's how it works…

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 1.15.35 PM.png
Supermarket receipts have a particularly effective feature to entice customers to return to stores. Credit: 9Honey.

See, supermarkets know that when we feel like we've scored a good deal, our brain releases dopamine—that feel-good chemical that gives us a rush.

On your receipt, the store shows you the dollars you 'saved' compared to their made-up normal prices. This makes you feel smart for spending less. It's giving your brain a little dopamine hit.

Retailers and supermarkets know dopamine is addictive! Consumer Psychologist Peter Resanceff says this receipt trick creates 'a significant positive response at the most painful point of the shopper's journey’.

After handing over your hard-earned cash, you get a mood boost from the receipt. Pretty soon, you start associating that store with feeling good.

You're more likely to come back again and again, chasing the savings high.

'The shopper effectively leaves the retailer on a little high, perhaps numbed to the pain of the much larger dollar value on the docket,' added Mr Resanceff.

Think you're safe with a digital receipt? Think again. Chemist Warehouse’s digital app takes the tactic further by showing your savings front and centre with graphics and animations. The dopamine hits keep coming!

But before you rush back to that store expecting more savings, here's the truth: those receipt savings claims are meaningless unless you confirm them yourself.

See, every store is going to say you saved money there. But only you can check if you've saved some bucks or if the store prices are the lowest.

Next time you shop, do some legwork first:
  • Compare prices for the items you buy regularly across 3-4 supermarkets
  • Look up any weekly specials and discounts at each store
  • See which has the lowest regular prices on essentials like milk, bread, eggs
  • Use an app like ShopSavvy to scan and compare barcode prices
  • Pay attention to unit pricing (cost per 100g, etc.)
Key Takeaways

• Supermarket receipts, aside from providing a purchase summary, are also marketing tools designed to entice customers to return to the store.
  • Consumer Psychologist and Brand Strategist Peter Resanceff says the goal of receipts is to trigger a dopamine hit in the customer when they see how much they've 'saved'.
  • This 'saving' strategy is becoming more obvious as receipts transition into digital versions, with each item often listing a full price and the 'saving' made.
  • Shoppers are encouraged to compare prices and research weekly specials to ensure they are truly getting the best value for their money.

So don't let sneaky marketing tactics fool you, members! Doing a bit of homework pays off.

Check for yourself if those savings are real, and feel genuinely good knowing you found the best deals. Your wallet will thank you!

Do you have other supermarket tips and advice? Leave them in the comments below!

Sponsored
We've all been there: you're checking out at the supermarket, and the cashier hands you your receipt. As you stuff it into your bag, you catch a glimpse of bold text saying, 'You saved $14.50.'

A wave of satisfaction comes over you. You got a great deal! You can't wait to come back to this store for more savings.

Sound familiar? Well, we hate to break it to you, but you've been duped by one of the sneakiest tricks in the supermarket playbook.

Those 'savings' on your receipt are actually also a psychological tactic designed to manipulate you into becoming a loyal, repeat customer. Here's how it works…

View attachment 32051
Supermarket receipts have a particularly effective feature to entice customers to return to stores. Credit: 9Honey.

See, supermarkets know that when we feel like we've scored a good deal, our brain releases dopamine—that feel-good chemical that gives us a rush.

On your receipt, the store shows you the dollars you 'saved' compared to their made-up normal prices. This makes you feel smart for spending less. It's giving your brain a little dopamine hit.

Retailers and supermarkets know dopamine is addictive! Consumer Psychologist Peter Resanceff says this receipt trick creates 'a significant positive response at the most painful point of the shopper's journey’.

After handing over your hard-earned cash, you get a mood boost from the receipt. Pretty soon, you start associating that store with feeling good.

'The shopper effectively leaves the retailer on a little high, perhaps numbed to the pain of the much larger dollar value on the docket,' added Mr Resanceff.

Think you're safe with a digital receipt? Think again. Chemist Warehouse’s digital app takes the tactic further by showing your savings front and centre with graphics and animations. The dopamine hits keep coming!

But before you rush back to that store expecting more savings, here's the truth: those receipt savings claims are meaningless unless you confirm them yourself.

See, every store is going to say you saved money there. But only you can check if you've saved some bucks or if the store prices are the lowest.

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket receipts, aside from providing a purchase summary, are also marketing tools designed to entice customers to return to the store.
  • Consumer Psychologist and Brand Strategist Peter Resanceff says the goal of receipts is to trigger a dopamine hit in the customer when they see how much they've 'saved'.
  • This 'saving' strategy is becoming more obvious as receipts transition into digital versions, with each item often listing a full price and the 'saving' made.
  • Shoppers are encouraged to compare prices and research weekly specials to ensure they are truly getting the best value for their money.

So don't let sneaky marketing tactics fool you, members! Doing a bit of homework pays off.

Check for yourself if those savings are real, and feel genuinely good knowing you found the best deals. Your wallet will thank you!

Do you have other supermarket tips and advice? Leave them in the comments below!
I have learnt not to check. I buy what I need, pay for it, check the total with my bank/daily spending journal (book), if that balances then I'm doing ok. And before you ask, I'm 62 and on a very limited budget. So every cent counts. I'm done wasting time trying to save $2. of my shopping. Because in the end after paying for everything I'm still broke and have to cut back more on things that make life worth living.

While it is good to know what I am saving it doesn’t really affect where I shop. I don’t chase around after specials. I shop at whichever supermarket has the items I need, I prefer some items from different shops, so if I need a specific item that only Coles have I will do all my shopping in Coles that week. Last week I shopped at IGA as I needed items only they carry.

View attachment 32051

Key Takeaways

I hate that chemist warehouse will only send a receipt to your mobile not shopping there as much now

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 32051

Key Takeaways

Large tins of Milo at Coles was $14 now you can but 2 tins for $28 dollars saving $3 . An other sneaky trick

No way will it get this littblack duck and those that have the same condition as moi! My Parkinson's Disease has the problem where I don't create dopamine so tactics lost on me and my compadres haha I have to take medication 5 times in 24 hrs to make some dopamine. Let me tell you this, it is horrid. Downright bloody awful. My Disease controls .y life

View attachment 32051

Key Takeaways

My reply to that is simple. No I didnt save that amount I spent what ever it is that I spent... you actually do save anything you SPENT what you spent

Keep your receipts each month and compare the prices at the end of the month......you might then see just how much your normal shopping gets adjusted overall.....then if you compare month on month receipts and item for item changes, then you will really see if you continue to save on your shopping or spend more....the results are going to be eye opening I can assure you. All of us on limited budgets need to watch our shopping habits from time to time in this dire economic state.

View attachment 32051

Key Takeaways

Why isn't this illegal?!

I hate that chemist warehouse will only send a receipt to your mobile not shopping there as much now
I get a paper receipt from chemist warehouse. I live in Western Australia.
Some of the items I buy are $20 cheaper than other chemists (ie. Telfast 70 tablest.)

Reactions: marni
And Chemist Warehouse's savings are off RRP. Who makes up that price? I can say the RRP is $100, but it is not if people are only going to pay $10 for it.