Supermarkets grapple with supply chain issues due to trucking industry concerns

We are all too familiar with the weekly ritual of grocery shopping.

Whether it's a trip to Coles, Woolworths, or ALDI, we rely on these stores to keep our pantries stocked and our fridges full.

However, an alarming situation could affect how we shop and what we find on the shelves in the coming months.

The heart of the issue lies in the driver's seat of delivery trucks.

Australia is facing a significant shortage of truck drivers, effectively threatening national supply chains.

According to the National Road Transport Association, Australia needs 26,000 new drivers to address the predicament.

compressed-pexels-trucks.jpeg
The trucking industry has been dominated by an older demographic, with a small number of new drivers joining in. Image Credit: Pexels/Quintin Gellar

With New South Wales road freight requirements expected to surge by 57 per cent by 2040, the trucking industry called for national action to keep the industry afloat.

The lack of drivers could be a potential crisis for our national economy.

With supply chains being the backbone of many businesses, the entire system could collapse without enough drivers.

The trucking industry has been grappling with an ageing workforce.

According to an International Road Transport Union survey, nearly half of the truck drivers are over 55 years old.

As these drivers approach retirement, the industry struggles to onboard new drivers to take the wheel.

Only 5.3 per cent of truck drivers are under 25, and a mere 6.5 per cent of these drivers are female.

To steer the industry back into its course, trucking companies started offering incentives to make trucking an appealing career choice for the new workforce members.

The possible incentives could include:
  • Funding for training programs.
  • Clearer pathways into the trucking profession.
  • Access to apprenticeships.
  • Improving overall work conditions.

As the trucking industry faces this predicament, shoppers should be prepared for potential changes in shopping habits.

It could be time to support local stores and consider alternative sources for our groceries, such as farmers' markets or community agriculture programs.

In the meantime, let's show our appreciation for the truck drivers who keep our shelves stocked.

Without them, our weekly shopping trips would look very different.
Key Takeaways

• Australian shoppers could face empty supermarket shelves due to a shortage of truck drivers affecting supply chains.
  • Australia needs about 26,000 more truck drivers across all types of businesses in the trucking industry.
  • The National Road Transport Association called for national cabinet action as the driver shortage could cause a crisis for the economy.
  • The trucking industry continues to face a huge age gap, and revamping the trucking industry's incentives could entice younger workers to consider trucking.
Have you noticed any changes in stock levels during your shopping trips? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's exactly what I have heard drivers say. A truck doesn't stop on 3d (meaning the distance)......or you are gradually pushed against the kerb and the driver of the car then scapes his mirror along the side of your truck and breaks it - then goes to the Police station and reports it and can't give a clear statement that makes any sense.
Once had a lady when l was stationary at the lights in my ute try to creep up my right side & damaged her car on the rear corner of the ute. (she wanted to squeeze past to get a right turn green arrow). I thought no more of it until l received a letter from her insurance company claiming her damage was done by a part sticking out on my vehicle. When l explained to the gent at the ins co on via phone what really happened he asked me to send an email to them &l heard no more about this. Guess she possibly lost her no claim bonus for her lies? Karma?

Reactions: Robyn Rowe
Once had a lady when l was stationary at the lights in my ute try to creep up my right side & damaged her car on the rear corner of the ute. (she wanted to squeeze past to get a right turn green arrow). I thought no more of it until l received a letter from her insurance company claiming her damage was done by a part sticking out on my vehicle. When l explained to the gent at the ins co on via phone what really happened he asked me to send an email to them &l heard no more about this. Guess she possibly lost her no claim bonus for her lies? Karma?
The lady may have decided to cancel her claim and may not have had it fixed if it didn't go right to metal. I know somebody who has had their car hit on the same rear corner a few times, often at shopping centres even when they've parked away from other cars. You can often see the paint colour from other vehicles. The crash repair have got to know the car & owner very well. His voice is even recognized. last time it didn't go right through to the metal so he's waiting for somebody else to hit it before he has it repaired again.

Reactions: Ezzy
Absolutely correct. People have no idea what the bus and truck drivers have to put up with out ther.
I’ve been driving buses and now coaches, for the last 41 years, and am have “retired” 4 times now. Because of the driver shortage, those of us who have retired, get called back to cover runs all the time.
The behavior of motor is getting worse every year. I’m not going to renew my Drivers Authority again to ensure they can’t talk me into going back
Inhave really enjoyed the actual job and still do, but the rules and regulations are just absolute nonsense, and the behaviour of motorists are making it less enjoyable, and I’m now starting to worry about the number of accidents caused by said idiots out there. I have a clean record and want to keep it that way.
I absolutely agree with you, some very selfish, aggressive drivers out there, most 'accidents ' are nothing but acts of stupidity by individuals

Reactions: Ezzy
Its not only truck drivers, it’s the same with Bus Drivers and the industry was told over 20 years ago that this was going to happen but they ignored us and now here we are.
The industry needs to be turned upside down and given a bloody good shake up because as it is now, they won’t get young drivers coming through. The main problem is the fact that most of the time, it’s only casual work so there’s no security, the hours are totally unsociable, then add to that the totally ridiculous fines they can face for simple mistakes in their log books and of course no one wants the job

Its not only truck drivers, it’s the same with Bus Drivers and the industry was told over 20 years ago that this was going to happen but they ignored us and now here we are.
The industry needs to be turned upside down and given a bloody good shake up because as it is now, they won’t get young drivers coming through. The main problem is the fact that most of the time, it’s only casual work so there’s no security, the hours are totally unsociable, then add to that the totally ridiculous fines they can face for simple mistakes in their log books and of course no one wants the job
so true and the place were they have to unload have to reverse between pylongs is so tight and dark no respect from the public cars

Some items have remained hit and miss at our local Woolies and Coles here in FNQ since the Covid shortages. We now buy extra of our favourite products when they are in stock as they may not be there on the next shop, only for products that store well of course.
Rail freight should be used to the max with trucks only from the rail yard to the shops. Overseas in some places trucks are carried by rail so truck drivers are only needed at either end of the journey.

Reactions: Lissu2
Seems to me we have been here b4, and at that time were encouraged to accept higher prices to ensure trucking services were well rewarded. Is this another money grab.

I was a professional driver in a 'past life' ;)
It was eye-opening when I was driving for the NSW PTC (as it was back then) to celebrate the retirement of a older driver, and then 12 months or so later, be informed of his funeral.
Driving a heavy vehicle is stressful - not just the pressures of keeping a timetable (even the long-distance drivers are required to be somewhere at a specific-ish time), but dealing with all the other drivers on the road who are just aware that while they may be able to stop their 1.5 tonne car in 50m or 60m, it takes a *lot* longer for a bus or truck to come to a stop.
and all the numpties that try to cut down the inside when you turn left from wide, and then bitch that you scratched their car...
it's no wonder that no-one wants to drive these vehicles anymore. I'm not saying it's "all bad" - I drove for a small private bus firm in south-west Sydney, and the pax were (almost) all great!
but yeah, it's one job I don't regret leaving.
Isn't this true of many professions. ? I retired 12 years ago from nursing as reg nurse/Midwife and 3 other midwives retired around the same from our regional hospital .I can remember signing a petition to send to the Government at the time warning of the coming shortage of nurses and midwives particularly in regional hospitals and nothing was done to recruit more. Wages and conditions were really bad at that time so who can blame people for not really wanting to work those hours for low pay. Hence the shortage of nurses today.