Supermarkets criticised for ‘cruel mockery’ as rising grocery costs lead to disturbing trend among Aussies

As shoppers stroll through the aisles of supermarkets month after month, they might notice a subtle yet persistent trend: the gradual uptick in prices across various goods.

From everyday essentials to indulgent treats, the cost of items seems to be on the rise, leaving consumers pondering the impact on their wallets.

The rising costs of everyday items have created a cascading effect on Australian households, pushing them to extraordinary lengths just to put food on the table.

The relentless surge in the cost of living resulted in worrying coping mechanisms, with some Aussies skipping meals or seeking out discarded food.

With alarm and empathy, the Grassroots Action Network Tasmania revealed this shocking reality amid a Senate inquiry into the skyrocketing prices at supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles, orchestrating a wake-up call about the societal implications of escalating supermarket prices.

compressed-shutterstock_1383569687.jpeg
Some Australians were reportedly resorting to dumpster diving amidst the cost-of-living crisis. Credits: Shutterstock

Amelia Cromb, a representative from the organisation, remarked on the ironic wastefulness of supermarkets, which she found to be disheartening and paradoxical.

'It just seems like such a cruel mockery almost that people are going to supermarkets to buy food that is a human right... and at the end of the day the supermarket can just basically rip the tag off that high price, throw it in the bin as though it had no value at all,' she exclaimed.

Cromb voiced her frustration at the situation. 'It’s criminal, there’s no other way to put it. It’s just unacceptable,' she said.

According to Cromb, extensive portions of discarded food from supermarkets are perfectly safe for consumption.

She said that they had taken measures to redistribute the salvaged food, ensuring it finds its way to the hands of people who need it most.

'These items are all in date, any logical person would see this and know that it’s consumable, the best before date is in 2025,' she said.

The inquiry highlighted the importance for supermarkets to review their procedures regarding the disposal of food items.

‘On a systemic level, there is such rigid food or regulations and standards around food distribution,’ Cromb said.

Best before labelling is often very arbitrary, often it relates more to food quality than safety alone, and I just think these in whatever way possible need to change because that is a reason why we’re seeing so much fruit be discarded.’

The senate inquiry regarding the skyrocketing prices of supermarket goods was demanded last year and several reports have revealed more information about the alleged price gouging of supermarket giants.

As prices continue to skyrocket, and more Aussies consider dumpster diving a viable option, it's clear that we need systemic changes to our food industries.

Greater transparency in pricing, rationalisation of food wastage, and more responsible supermarket practices are essential.

Grassroots Action Network Tasmania also previously took on a more unconventional approach to call on supermarkets to do better: faux discount price tags with spicy messages.
Key Takeaways
  • The Senate probe into supermarket prices was informed about Australians resorting to dumpster diving due to rising costs and food waste issues.
  • Amelia Cromb highlighted the cruelty of food waste when people are struggling with food affordability, with supermarkets discarding items before their 'best before' dates.
  • The inquiry was told that much of the food discarded by supermarkets remains consumable and could be passed on to those in need.
  • There is a call for supermarkets to review their food waste practices, and consider the arbitrariness of 'best before' labels, which are often not indicative of food safety.
Have you noticed the price hike at your neighbourhood grocery store? What changes would you like to see in the practices at supermarkets such as Woolworths and Coles? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
They give a lot to Second Bite and other organisations like that. I would say if it’s left over in store people are too fussy to pay, there used to be they sold a box of stuff for cheap / they should advertise this “happy hour” so people can organise to be there

i have noticed the price rises however the govt states it has not gone over%1.8 over the last 6 months and only %5 for the year
WHAT A LOAD OF PIG SHIT

Before thew pandemic ..... particular price for whatever goods. was relatively livable. It is like the companies are still too greedy ==== mark ups that are 50, 80, 90%and they have not dropped prices.
We are not having extreme delays in Aussie manufacture or overseas. Just think the public will pay at whatever price ..... I encourage people to "grow your own" fi you can. There are many ways to grow your own even fruit trees on a balcony. Do some research == yes the beginning could be slightly expensive BUT when you begin to harvest your own, the cost --- will prove worth it. So you can grow forever, some things will give you seeds to begin again. Potatoes are a blast - a surprise cos you do not know how many you could get.

Last week bought Cadbury 2 x 180gr chocolate in Coles Cairns $3 ea, $7 for 360gr.
I use a lot as at times cooking or making the choclate eg rocky road I do give chocolate as wellness to for hospital staff or someone you needs a little brightness. Have been doing it for the last few years. Thought I would get 2 more 180 gr bars, today 2 for $9. Rip off. Jan

Last week bought Cadbury 2 x 180gr chocolate in Coles Cairns $3 ea, $7 for 360gr.
I use a lot as at times cooking or making the choclate eg rocky road I do give chocolate as wellness to for hospital staff or someone you needs a little brightness. Have been doing it for the last few years. Thought I would get 2 more 180 gr bars, today 2 for $9. Rip off. Jan
It is pretty obvious that they were on special the 1st time, and the 2nd time they weren't Why are you even mentioning this?