Supermarket Home Delivery Rort

While the introduction of home delivery for groceries has, in some ways, been life-changing, lately, we’ve heard from members second-guessing the experience. It seems, more and more, near-expiry products, rotten produce and open products are being packed for unwitting customers.

Recently, a member brought their experience to our attention.

This member received their home delivery order around 6pm on November 12th and their bag of potatoes was dated the same day. When they went to cook the potatoes, they found them already sprouting.

‘I never discovered how bad they were until I went to use them a few days later.’

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 1.50.16 pm.png
Image Credit: Member - anonymous.

So is this a problem with the employees packing orders or the best-before-date process? Or perhaps it’s a failure by both.

This member has, unfortunately, had the run around from supermarkets in the past.

‘A few years ago I got ice cream that had been melted and refrozen, badly dented cans and I’ve ordered several bottles of milk to last me for a week only to discover the expiration date was in two days.’

‘I find most items I have received don’t have a long expiration date which leads me to believe that home delivery is one way to get rid of old stock. Once I received a cake from the bakery, they charged me full price for the cake even though there was a reduced sticker on the cake and to top it off the cake had expired two days before delivery, I did get a refund. However, I can’t remember if this cake was bought from Coles or Woolworths online.’

How would anyone think that packing something so close to its best-before date is acceptable? I know I’ve personally received items that have already been opened. It will be something simple like a packet of muesli bars but it has me guessing whether everything is still inside and whether it has been tampered with. Numerous experiences with clearly damaged, spoiled or open products have me wondering whether employees are packing the groceries that shoppers are clearly avoiding in person (after all, I would never purposefully grab the open box from the aisle). While I’m against food waste, the answer isn’t palming off sub-par products to trusting customers.

This member does have some advice for anyone receiving home deliveries of groceries.

‘We check off the items when we receive them because sometimes items are accidentally left out or you are charged for a large size but a smaller size is put in instead.’

What a fantastic idea to ensure you get what you paid for.

They explained, ‘Sometimes they don’t have the larger size so put in two smaller ones instead and that’s okay but not when they replace with one smaller size and still charge for the large size. I ordered a full pumpkin (can’t remember the exact price, probably around $12 or more), and they sent me a small slice of pumpkin but charged the full price. It makes you wonder who packs the items because surely they must know that pumpkin wouldn’t be that dear. However, I did buy a bag of oranges and the shop assistant packed one orange in the order but I was still charged for the bag.’

‘I do complain and get a refund but only if I notice when it’s unpacked.’

While it’s good that refunds are issued, no one should have to rely on this sort of reactionary customer service.
But that's not the only issue at hand. The member was kind enough to explain the ordering system.
'The customer orders and pays for the items that are in stock. However, the items are in store so another customer can come into the store and purchase the items you have already paid for. Then just before delivery, you will get a message to say it’s out of stock and get a refund.'

So if you desperately need to get your hands on something, perhaps it's best to head in-store in person to avoid any disappointing surprises.

Members, I’m interested in hearing from you – has your experience with grocery home delivery been positive or negative? If you feel comfortable, you can share your experience below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I won’t buy fruit anymore as the blueberries and strawberries are half rotten and with the cost it’s not good enough, I’ve bought a punnet of cherry tomatoes only to get a half amount, the chicken tenderloins lasted two days and they were off. Then there is the missing items I messaged about well it took a couple of msg and a couple of weeks to get my refund for my short loin chops. This was from Coles.

I shop on line even though my supermarket is close if I went in store to shop I would leave one quarter of the way through

I often have close to expiry dates or bruised apples or vegies not fresh.
When this happens I called them and they offer a refund or credit.

I ordered crumpets last week and the use by date was that day.

I've had milk with expiry date 3 days away

A couple of weeks ago the delivery guy came back, he had a delivery in the next street and found 2 of my bags of groceries.

What happened to my daughter a few weeks back , She did a online woolworths shop , she spent nearly $300 which include bulk nappies and wipes.
She was shocked to find only 4 bags abd when she looked inside she found it wasn't her shopping. She called Woolworths and all they said was we will refund you and keep the groceries, she said no just redo and deliver my groceries, they told her she had to re order her shopping and they would add free delivery, she replied I get free delivery anyway as I ordered nearly $300 worth.

In the order she received there were nappies but homebrand ones. Some one else was going to be very happy with the mix up

My other gripe is the substitutes, if you order a sugar free soft drink then at least substitute it with a sugar free drink not pepsi in place of pepsimax

Last edited:
I don’t drive so usually have to have home delivery. I use Coles because I don’t much like Woolworths even though the monthly delivery fee from Woolies is much cheaper as they give a senior discount which Coles don’t. I find fruit and veg is not ever the best, and the substitutes if what you ordered is out of stock are usually home brand, you are able to reject substitutes though. I haven’t really had any bad products luckily. One thing though which I really must ring up about is lately I get charged an extra amount every time with no explanation, under a dollar, even when there’s been nothing in the order that has had to be weighed out !!

I have done on line shopping a couple of times and have received ood products and inferior F & V. Have you ever watched a personal shopper? They do not check dates and never look at the quality of the vegs. It is a case of shoppers beware.

When I try ordering bulk orders of Bundaberg Ginger Beer I often don't get the amount of cartons I want from either Coles or Woolworths the problem comes from them not having dedicated online warehouses but from instore stocks when they are on special if the store only has a minimal amount of stock grr. I was once told to order them earlier I asked how do I find out before they are going to be on special?
They didn't have an answer for that ! I even tried to warn them via phone that I wanted to stock up so that they could have enough for my delivery that failed. I recently ordered 10 cartons 10 bottles from Coles and only got 6 grr.
I was told by Woolworths employees to try ordering on the special price but put the delivery date for after the special finished and I could get the amount delivered that I want at the special price.
It worked once.
I have ordered them from Amazon when they were on a great price and got the full amount. Unfortunately when I went to order a couple of weeks ago their price had gone up significantly.

Buying individual bottles from cafes,pubs and restaurants is a huge rip-off a bottle you buy from Coles for around $1.60 is over $5 !!!

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
While the introduction of home delivery for groceries has, in some ways, been life-changing, lately, we’ve heard from members second-guessing the experience. It seems, more and more, near-expiry products, rotten produce and open products are being packed for unwitting customers.

This member received their home delivery order around 6pm on November 12th and their bag of potatoes was dated the same day. When they went to cook the potatoes, they found them already sprouting.

‘I never discovered how bad they were until I went to use them a few days later.’

View attachment 9303

So is this a problem with the employees packing orders or the best-before-date process? Or perhaps it’s a failure by both.

This member has, unfortunately, had the run around from supermarkets in the past.

‘A few years ago I got ice cream that had been melted and refrozen, badly dented cans and I’ve ordered several bottles of milk to last me for a week only to discover the expiration date was in two days.’

‘I find most items I have received don’t have a long expiration date which leads me to believe that home delivery is one way to get rid of old stock. Once I received a cake from the bakery, they charged me full price for the cake even though there was a reduced sticker on the cake and to top it off the cake had expired two days before delivery, I did get a refund. However, I can’t remember if this cake was bought from Coles or Woolworths online.’

How would anyone think that packing something so close to its best-before date is acceptable? I know I’ve personally received items that have already been opened. It will be something simple like a packet of muesli bars but it has me guessing whether everything is still inside and whether it has been tampered with. Numerous experiences with clearly damaged, spoiled or open products have me wondering whether employees are packing the groceries that shoppers are clearly avoiding in person (after all, I would never purposefully grab the open box from the aisle). While I’m against food waste, the answer isn’t palming off sub-par products to trusting customers.

This member does have some advice for anyone receiving home deliveries of groceries.

‘We check off the items when we receive them because sometimes items are accidentally left out or you are charged for a large size but a smaller size is put in instead.’

They explained, ‘Sometimes they don’t have the larger size so put in two smaller ones instead and that’s okay but not when they replace with one smaller size and still charge for the large size. I ordered a full pumpkin (can’t remember the exact price, probably around $12 or more), and they sent me a small slice of pumpkin but charged the full price. It makes you wonder who packs the items because surely they must know that pumpkin wouldn’t be that dear. However, I did buy a bag of oranges and the shop assistant packed one orange in the order but I was still charged for the bag.’

While it’s good that refunds are issued, no one should have to rely on this sort of reactionary customer service.
But that's not the only issue at hand. The member was kind enough to explain the ordering system.
'The customer orders and pays for the items that are in stock. However, the items are in store so another customer can come into the store and purchase the items you have already paid for. Then just before delivery, you will get a message to say it’s out of stock and get a refund.'

So if you desperately need to get your hands on something, perhaps it's best to head in-store in person to avoid any disappointing surprises.

Members, I’m interested in hearing from you – has your experience with grocery home delivery been positive or negative? If you feel comfortable, you can share your experience below.
I always buy online and have been quite fortunate with very few issues and as you say they always refund although that’s not the point as it’s the products you want. A couple of months ago I ordered a salad bowl and the lettuce was all brown despite the use by date being 5 days ahead. Last week Coles delivered a large tub of yoghurt that had a use by date of a week previous! That proves that the packers don’t look at use by dates just grab off the shelves. Also those packing shelves need to remove out of date stock.

View attachment 9303

It would be NO accident you are charged for large and recieve small let me assure you.

I always buy online and have been quite fortunate with very few issues and as you say they always refund although that’s not the point as it’s the products you want. A couple of months ago I ordered a salad bowl and the lettuce was all brown despite the use by date being 5 days ahead. Last week Coles delivered a large tub of yoghurt that had a use by date of a week previous! That proves that the packers don’t look at use by dates just grab off the shelves. Also those packing shelves need to remove out of date stock.
is it in there job description???

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
When I try ordering bulk orders of Bundaberg Ginger Beer I often don't get the amount of cartons I want from either Coles or Woolworths the problem comes from them not having dedicated online warehouses but from instore stocks when they are on special if the store only has a minimal amount of stock grr. I was once told to order them earlier I asked how do I find out before they are going to be on special?
They didn't have an answer for that ! I even tried to warn them via phone that I wanted to stock up so that they could have enough for my delivery that failed. I recently ordered 10 cartons 10 bottles from Coles and only got 6 grr.
I was told by Woolworths employees to try ordering on the special price but put the delivery date for after the special finished and I could get the amount delivered that I want at the special price.
It worked once.
I have ordered them from Amazon when they were on a great price and got the full amount. Unfortunately when I went to order a couple of weeks ago their price had gone up significantly.

Buying individual bottles from cafes,pubs and restaurants is a huge rip-off a bottle you buy from Coles for around $1.60 is over $5 !!!
But a Soda Stream. Much better.

I find the quality of meat, fruit and vegetables to be below par when I shop online. I once ordered 900g of sweet potatoes and I received one giant sweet potato! 🤣🤣 I would rather shop in person so that I can see what I’m buying.

It worked once.

Check Coles and Woolies web sites after 5 o’clock on Monday night. They have the next weeks specials available and you can order to be delivered as soon as they start.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
I agree with Oldgirl1234 - if you watch the “shoppers” picking orders they are just grabbing the first thing off the shelf and it’s not likely they are even looking at prices, that wouldn’t be their job. They should definitely be looking at use by dates though but they don’t. I’m just glad I am able to get to the shops and do my own shopping and don’t have to rely on delivery. I once ordered 1 small towelling wet bag from an on line store and got 10 - the picker had picked up the plastic bag as it had come from the factory, a pack of 10 that hadn’t been opened on the warehouse shelf for picking. They have varying sizes and a large option of this type of bag would be similarly packed as the small 10 pack. When I contacted them for them to organise collection they told me to keep them 😊😊

I must be the voice in the wilderness!! I have been shopping online with Woolies for about 5 years now. I have nothing but praise for them. Is it because I live rural, I'm sure I don't know. I get free delivery as long as my orders are over $50, not difficult in this day and age. The fruit and veg I order is always good and fresh. meat has a long shelf life and no dinged tins. Only once in that time have I requested a refund due to the bread delivered being too squashed to be any use for sandwiches due to poor packing, no worries, money back in my account that day. It's not very often, maybe one in five or six shops that something I order is out of stock and again the refund is back in my bank the same day. I always tick the box for no substitutes.
I am more than happy with Woolies online and will continue to shout their praise. I don't think there is anything I wouldn't order online as I have complete faith in Woolies pickers. If I'm after something particular, size, weight or whatever I put a note in the box on the order and explain what I'm after and why and the picker complies, simple! Long may Home Delivery reign!! :)

View attachment 9303

I won’t shop home delivery any more Apart from the usual descripancies including missing 2 whole crates which I had to go out that day and buy (from another supermarket) because I needed the products for Mother’s Day the following day. The final straw was when I ordered 7 grains and seed bread and they sent white bread. As I can’t eat white bread I tried returning it to switch to the bread I originally ordered. I was told I would have to return it to the store that it was delivered from. Unfortunately they couldn’t tell me which store that was and I wasn’t going to waste petrol anyway. This was Coles. I finished giving it to my neighbour so it wasn’t wasted.
Also I never get substituted items just advice no stock when I really need the items.
It may have only been a loaf of bread but the inconvenience of having to go out to the store for nothing meant I could have done my shopping there and saved the delivery fee.
While I am still able to I will be doing my own shopping from now on.

• Sad
Reactions: Jennie and Ricci
I get a home delivery from Coles every fortnight and I really haven’t had a problem with use by dates. I buy my meat and freeze it but fruit and veg I usually only buy what I need in the next day or so as I prefer to buy as I need.

Reactions: Ricci
I must be the voice in the wilderness!! I have been shopping online with Woolies for about 5 years now. I have nothing but praise for them. Is it because I live rural, I'm sure I don't know. I get free delivery as long as my orders are over $50, not difficult in this day and age. The fruit and veg I order is always good and fresh. meat has a long shelf life and no dinged tins. Only once in that time have I requested a refund due to the bread delivered being too squashed to be any use for sandwiches due to poor packing, no worries, money back in my account that day. It's not very often, maybe one in five or six shops that something I order is out of stock and again the refund is back in my bank the same day. I always tick the box for no substitutes.
I am more than happy with Woolies online and will continue to shout their praise. I don't think there is anything I wouldn't order online as I have complete faith in Woolies pickers. If I'm after something particular, size, weight or whatever I put a note in the box on the order and explain what I'm after and why and the picker complies, simple! Long may Home Delivery reign!! :)
Lucky you

Reactions: Ricci