Serial bargain hunter 'blown away' by massive discount at Coles

For many, the thrill of a good supermarket bargain is unmatched, and when it comes to jaw-dropping deals, one shopper's experience at Coles is the stuff of legend.

Sassy Walkinshaw, a self-proclaimed serial bargain hunter, has made an extraordinary find at a Coles supermarket.

She recounted, ‘I walked into Coles around 9:30 pm and it would have closed at 10 pm.’

‘A Coles staff member approached and asked if I would like some discounted chicken. I said, “Yes, please.”’

Little did Sassy know, she was about to hit the jackpot.

‘They led me to the roast chicken section where there were about 30 odd chickens all discounted from ($12) to $1,’ she said.

Coles roast chicken.png
A shopper was offered Coles RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken Roasts ($12) for a discounted price of $1. Image Source: Coles

‘We were blown away,’ Sassy recounted.

She and her sister didn't hesitate. They seized the opportunity and walked away with eight Coles RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken Roasts ($12) for $8.

‘It was pretty amazing. That's never happened to me ever before,’ she said.

But how does one stumble upon such incredible savings?

According to Sassy, it's a combination of luck, timing, and a keen eye for deals.

She said, ‘You have to learn how to spot bargains when you don't have a lot of money. Whatever looks OK and it's discounted I will buy it.’

‘You need to use your intuition. Sometimes just a few more minutes of looking for a good deal provides good dividends.’

Her strategy is simple yet effective. Shop late at night, just before stores close, when items are marked down to clear out inventory.

She said, ‘I mostly shop late at night when things are marked down to clear so they don't have to throw them away and waste them.’

‘My sister and I often shop together so if we find markdowns we share them.’

Sassy's freezer is a testament to her bargain-hunting prowess, boasting a selection of recent savings that include:
  • Prepped vegetable packets: $1.50
  • Turkey rissoles: $5.20
  • Sausages: $4.50
  • Spanish-style Chicken and Rice pre-made salad: $0.45
  • Chicken drumsticks: $1.25
  • Coles Chocolate Iced Cake (usually retails for $16): $3.00

When asked what she does with her bargain buys, Sassy said, ‘I freeze some markdowns if I know I haven't got time to cook. Some, I take as meals to work so I don't have to cook if I don't have time or energy.’

She also recommended looking for the store's markdown shelf, often 'hidden' in a back corner, brimming with discounted items.

The reaction to Sassy's haul was disbelief and admiration among fellow Aussies.

One person said, ‘I have not seen chickens go this cheap in about 10 years. What a score! (I) hope you cleaned them out!’

Another said, ‘I thought I scored when I got two for $5 each. Well done!’

A third added, ‘Never…seen them at that price.’

Sassy isn't the only savvy shopper willing to share her bargain-hunting tips.

In a recent story, a mum was able to slash her grocery bills using this one secret trick! You can read the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper, Sassy Walkinshaw, scored eight Coles RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken Roasts ($12) for $1 each.
  • Walkinshaw attributed her bargain finds to being in the right place at the right time and constantly searching for markdowns, especially late at night before the store closes.
  • She also suggested looking for the markdown shelf in the store, where many discounted items are often available.
  • Walkinshaw's post about her savings prompted surprise and admiration from other shoppers on social media.
Have you ever snagged a deal that left you speechless? Do you have any tips that you can share on how you find the best deals? Share your stories and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
More a case of bad management by the store, over estimating the demand. Given the policy of the store is; if they don't have cooked chooks up to 8pm they give you a voucher for a freebie next time instore. Unless someone forgot to hit the button to start the cooking why would you put so many on unless they were going to be ready for the peak buying time (6 to 8pm). Not a clue what I would do with 8 chooks when I hadn't even gone there to grab 1. Shredded and feed the cat?

It is a great idea to shop later in the day to get the bargains of products that did not sell during the day. My only remark is that this very ready roast chicken is horribly dry and has no taste. The chicken skin is wrinkled and not freshly roasted for being in the plastic bag too long. I wrote to Cole’s about this in very strong terms (and refused refund) and they are investigating so they say. It is a matter of principle and respect to customers. So far two weeks passed. Yawns 🥱

Reactions: Iggydi and DLHM
Lol what are the odds ?? Let's all put in $2 and buy a lotto ticket for Thursdays jackpot of $60 million!!
More a case of bad management by the store, over estimating the demand. Given the policy of the store is; if they don't have cooked chooks up to 8pm they give you a voucher for a freebie next time instore. Unless someone forgot to hit the button to start the cooking why would you put so many on unless they were going to be ready for the peak buying time (6 to 8pm). Not a clue what I would do with 8 chooks when I hadn't even gone there to grab 1. Shredded and feed the cat?
Put them in your freezer.

Reactions: Wieso and Iggydi
A few months back I was shopping in Woolies, when passing the barbequed chooks I saw they were discounted down to 3.20 each. I hastily grabbed 4 of them and after getting a few other things made my way to the self checkout. When I scanned the first chook it priced up at $12. I quickly called the assistant over and said "these chickens are now discounted down to 3.20" and quickly showed her the sticker on each bag.
"No sir" she replied that's the time they came out of the oven ! "Can you return them to stock for me" I said, paid for the rest of my items and made a hasty exit !

I won the chicken lottery the other week, too!

I went on a very average date and decided to go grocery shopping afterwards since my night freed up. Snagged a $1.20 roast cook at 8:57pm on a Saturday :) Only grabbed one as I'm only feeding myself. Silver linings eh?

IMG_7103.jpg
Image Credit: SDC

Called into Coles a couple days ago, saw the discount sticker from a few meters away, wander across for a closer look to find a discount alright, - 83 cents per bird, laughed and walked away remembering the time I also managed to purchase one at a couple of $, that was a while ago. I've had half price quite often,

When I went to Woolies earlier today, the guy was marking down $12 chickens for $4.80 and some of the beef for 6.00, and some organic chickens for $5.00 . So I got a $4.80 chicken which made me feel good at least my small shopping didn't cost me way too much. But $1.00 is an awesome bargain. My parents use to do bargain shopping way back when before the shopping hours are not like they are now like on Saturday before 12.00 midday and then on Monday mornings.

Reactions: Ezzy and Iggydi
I wold have bought a couple and left the rest for other hard-up shoppers.!
Sassy did state that the time was 9.30 pm when she entered the store which closes @ 10.00 pm. I think the store would have to be very lucky to sell all those cooked chooks before closing time.