Sunrise star Sam Mac reveals huge personal news—Can you guess what it could be?

We aren’t the only ones who are familiar with changes in life. Even the people we see on our screens everyday, like the celebrities we see on Sunrise, aren’t spared from the surprising twists and turns life sometimes takes.

Sunrise weather personality Sam Mac was in the middle of a life-changing moment earlier when his partner left home to return to work, leaving him in charge of the couple’s one-year-old daughter.

The time came for Sam to share his much-awaited news when the show aired a live cross to his house, and viewers were certainly surprised when he announced that no one expected—Sam has announced his return to work on Monday, 4 December.

'I know there's been a huge build-up for this, and I'm very excited to announce...I’m back at work on Monday,' he said.

photo.jpg
Sam Mac shared his life as a father on TV while making a surprising announcement. Credit: @sammacinsta / Instagram

Paternity leave, while a joyous time, has not been without its challenges for Sam. He knew ‘it would be hard, but it’s been so relentless’.

He humorously shared the realities of parenting a one-year-old.

‘I hate to say this in front of her, she’s listening, but she’s such hard work,’ he joked about his one-year-old who played with her toys beside him.

‘She is such a diva.’

'When I’m lucky enough to get her down for a sleep for about 45 minutes during the day, that 45 minutes is not spent relaxing. It’s spent doing her washing, preparing her next meal.'

Sam's experience has given him a newfound respect for stay-at-home parents.

‘So I want to take this opportunity to bow down to all the stay-at-home mums and also the dads who do it.

‘You guys are the true heroes,' he said, bowing down to the camera.

'I’ve had a real taste of it over the last month, and don’t get me wrong, it’s been magical. ‘

‘I’ve got to see her learn how to walk, she’s doing her gardening now, she’s been reading lots of books.’

‘I’s been magic every day, but it’s also been super hard work.’

‘So absolute respect to all the stay-at-home mums and the single mums and dads out there! You guys are legends.’

He also proudly showed off Margot's new skill of sticking out her tongue on command.

‘Where’s your tongue?’ he asked.

Margot stuck her tongue back out in response, which gave her dad an excited reaction.

‘I’m so glad she didn’t let me down with that,’ he laughed.

‘She’s a Mac, she’s a performer.’

‘She turns it on when it matters.’

‘But she also has learnt the most important word,’ he said before sharing a video of him asking his daughter,

‘Can you say dada?’

After Margot responded, ‘Dada,’ Sam cheered and asked if she could say ‘Mamma,’ to which she responded ‘Dada’ as well.

Sam took a month of parental leave, while Sam's partner, Rebecca James, returned to work last month as a stylist.

'She’s been thinking (returning to work) for the past few months, and now that Margot is over a year old she’s ready to properly get back into the workforce,' Sam said.

He expressed his gratitude to Seven and the Sunrise team for allowing him to take time off to support his family during this transition.

‘It’s my turn to be getting Margot up, feed her, and basically becoming her personal assistant/servant,’ he said jokingly at the time.

Sam said that Margot is ‘at a really good age right now’, and teased that he even ‘brainwashed’ her to say ‘Dad’ as her first word.

‘She’s walking now, which is awesome, but it’s a bit daunting because we have to childproof the house…but really exciting times,’ he said

‘Margot’s changed so much even in the past couple of months.’

‘So it’s super-exciting to have some proper quality time with her.’

In the next few months, Sam and his family will be focusing on family with his leave and the upcoming Christmas holidays.

The family plans a trip to Melbourne, where Rebecca’s family lives, and Adelaide, where Sam’s parents live.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise weather presenter Sam Mac is making a return to work after taking a month of paternity leave while his partner Rebecca James returned to work.
  • Speaking of his paternity leave, Sam commended all stay-at-home mums and dads and acknowledged its relentless but rewarding hard work.
  • Sam spent quality time with his one-year-old daughter Margot and witnessed milestones such as her learning how to walk.
  • Sam expressed his gratitude to Seven and the Sunrise team for granting him leave and is excited about returning to work on Monday, 4 December.
Are you excited about Sam Mac’s return to television? What can you say about how he took care of Margot? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I follow Sam on instagram and it has been great watching how he is with Margo.

I think if other fathers can do this then what a great bonding time to have with your child.

I love how dads are also helping with the kids ❤️
Love Sam Mac , best weatherman on tv

Last edited:
Fatherhood was easier than I first thought. The first two were a breeze, but the third was a bit more challenging. My then wife had a serious head on collision which resulted in a sacroiliac dislocation, in other words, her pelvis became two, both horizontal and vertically. In realignment, a nerve was caught in the wrong place, resulting in constant pain for two years without work and unable to perform any domestic chores.

So it was up to me to be Mum AND Dad at the same time, work full time and study part time simultaneously. Getting the two oldest ready for school and taking the then eight month old to a friend's house before work. Add cooking, cleaning, laundry plus more to the mix and you have one buggered individual.

I admire Sam Mac but he's got it way easy.

I am so glad he is coming back. He seems like such a humble man and it is nice to see him get so much pleasure out of his daughter. Well done Sam! (and a thumbs up to your wife as well.)

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Happy to say I've never seen an episode of this show, just don't understand why the need to have anyone just reading the weather forecast. Surely everyone uses the BOM app, pretty much all these TV weather ppl do.

Reactions: Aussie all the Way
Fatherhood was easier than I first thought. The first two were a breeze, but the third was a bit more challenging. My then wife had a serious head on collision which resulted in a sacroiliac dislocation, in other words, her pelvis became two, both horizontal and vertically. In realignment, a nerve was caught in the wrong place, resulting in constant pain for two years without work and unable to perform any domestic chores.

So it was up to me to be Mum AND Dad at the same time, work full time and study part time simultaneously. Getting the two oldest ready for school and taking the then eight month old to a friend's house before work. Add cooking, cleaning, laundry plus more to the mix and you have one buggered individual.

Just an aside to this event. My ex wife underwent a sacroiliac nerve block about 2 years after the collision, the procedure which I witnessed by X-ray in a glass booth. A very fine flexible needle was inserted and delivered a nerve deadening agent which had no guarantee of permanency. Ten weeks, ten months, ten years, who knows? It's still working - 15 years later!

Happy to say I've never seen an episode of this show, just don't understand why the need to have anyone just reading the weather forecast. Surely everyone uses the BOM app, pretty much all these TV weather ppl do.
I wish he did just read the weather but he carries on with a lot of garbage. Thinks he is funny but he's not. His replacement is not much better with a voice that is painful to listen to & also thinks she is funny but is not.

I had 13 kids and 7 under 7 at one time. Worked full time sometimes 6 days a week. Did all the cooking, cleaning, washing and hubby thought he was doing alot working casually, looking after the garden and taking two boys to sport !

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
What's all the fuss about, he went on a months paternity leave, no biggie. He's not the first to do it and won't be the last. Sorry don't like the man he's to full of himself, treats the weather like the Sam Mac Show.

We aren’t the only ones who are familiar with changes in life. Even the people we see on our screens everyday, like the celebrities we see on Sunrise, aren’t spared from the surprising twists and turns life sometimes takes.

Sunrise weather personality Sam Mac was in the middle of a life-changing moment earlier when his partner left home to return to work, leaving him in charge of the couple’s one-year-old daughter.

The time came for Sam to share his much-awaited news when the show aired a live cross to his house, and viewers were certainly surprised when he announced that no one expected—Sam has announced his return to work on Monday, 4 December.

'I know there's been a huge build-up for this, and I'm very excited to announce...I’m back at work on Monday,' he said.

View attachment 36311
Sam Mac shared his life as a father on TV while making a surprising announcement. Credit: @sammacinsta / Instagram

Paternity leave, while a joyous time, has not been without its challenges for Sam. He knew ‘it would be hard, but it’s been so relentless’.

He humorously shared the realities of parenting a one-year-old.

‘I hate to say this in front of her, she’s listening, but she’s such hard work,’ he joked about his one-year-old who played with her toys beside him.

‘She is such a diva.’

'When I’m lucky enough to get her down for a sleep for about 45 minutes during the day, that 45 minutes is not spent relaxing. It’s spent doing her washing, preparing her next meal.'

Sam's experience has given him a newfound respect for stay-at-home parents.

‘So I want to take this opportunity to bow down to all the stay-at-home mums and also the dads who do it.

‘You guys are the true heroes,' he said, bowing down to the camera.

'I’ve had a real taste of it over the last month, and don’t get me wrong, it’s been magical. ‘

‘I’ve got to see her learn how to walk, she’s doing her gardening now, she’s been reading lots of books.’

‘I’s been magic every day, but it’s also been super hard work.’

‘So absolute respect to all the stay-at-home mums and the single mums and dads out there! You guys are legends.’

He also proudly showed off Margot's new skill of sticking out her tongue on command.

‘Where’s your tongue?’ he asked.

Margot stuck her tongue back out in response, which gave her dad an excited reaction.

‘I’m so glad she didn’t let me down with that,’ he laughed.

‘She’s a Mac, she’s a performer.’

‘She turns it on when it matters.’

‘But she also has learnt the most important word,’ he said before sharing a video of him asking his daughter,

‘Can you say dada?’

After Margot responded, ‘Dada,’ Sam cheered and asked if she could say ‘Mamma,’ to which she responded ‘Dada’ as well.

Sam took a month of parental leave, while Sam's partner, Rebecca James, returned to work last month as a stylist.

'She’s been thinking (returning to work) for the past few months, and now that Margot is over a year old she’s ready to properly get back into the workforce,' Sam said.

He expressed his gratitude to Seven and the Sunrise team for allowing him to take time off to support his family during this transition.

‘It’s my turn to be getting Margot up, feed her, and basically becoming her personal assistant/servant,’ he said jokingly at the time.

Sam said that Margot is ‘at a really good age right now’, and teased that he even ‘brainwashed’ her to say ‘Dad’ as her first word.

‘She’s walking now, which is awesome, but it’s a bit daunting because we have to childproof the house…but really exciting times,’ he said

‘Margot’s changed so much even in the past couple of months.’

‘So it’s super-exciting to have some proper quality time with her.’

In the next few months, Sam and his family will be focusing on family with his leave and the upcoming Christmas holidays.

The family plans a trip to Melbourne, where Rebecca’s family lives, and Adelaide, where Sam’s parents live.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise weather presenter Sam Mac is making a return to work after taking a month of paternity leave while his partner Rebecca James returned to work.
  • Speaking of his paternity leave, Sam commended all stay-at-home mums and dads and acknowledged its relentless but rewarding hard work.
  • Sam spent quality time with his one-year-old daughter Margot and witnessed milestones such as her learning how to walk.
  • Sam expressed his gratitude to Seven and the Sunrise team for granting him leave and is excited about returning to work on Monday, 4 December.
Are you excited about Sam Mac’s return to television? What can you say about how he took care of Margot? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Great, but guess what Sam? back in the day we did all of that without the magic of appliances, our kids were put down to sleep at the same time everyday and they slept. You do not know your alive. OH! by the way the Dads were busy working.

Reactions: elaine41
What's all the fuss about, he went on a months paternity leave, no biggie. He's not the first to do it and won't be the last. Sorry don't like the man he's to full of himself, treats the weather like the Sam Mac Show.
well it is.

But it is the same Mac show ! I think he is more funny than full of himself.
He makes many people laugh and to be able to do this is a wonderful thing

But it is the same Mac show ! I think he is more funny than full of himself.
He makes many people laugh and to be able to do this is a wonderful thing
He has never made me laugh. He is too full of himself. I watched him when he first came on show but now I turn the sound off when he comes on so I don't have to listen to his nonsense.

Reactions: Wendy
ANOTHER WORLD SHAKER! Some teevee pronouncer's kid says "DADA".
Now, for some REAL news ...

Reactions: Wendy