Sunrise host and experts share speculations about one Olympic team's swimmers: 'They're protecting them'

The Olympic season is upon us, where athletes worldwide show off their skills and sportsmanship.

However, the much-awaited games come with a set of controversies.

The game's competitive swimming competition recently got rocked by allegations, and the latest chapter in this ongoing saga had several Australian broadcasters delving into the murky waters.

Sunrise presenter Natalie Barr and broadcaster Neil Mitchell focused on China's Olympic swimming program.

The country's swimming team recently came under intense scrutiny after two of their swimmers tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

The unexpected twist came after China pointed the finger at Australian beef imports as the source of the contamination, a claim that left many experts and observers sceptical.

photo-nat barr.jpg
Sunrise host Nat Barr raised speculations about the Chinese team blaming Australian beef products, specifically burgers, for doping. Image Credit: Instagram/Nat Barr, Shutterstock/Papa Wor

'They're protecting them. The Chinese system is designed around cheating,' Mitchell claimed after the revelation that China's anti-doping agency cleared these swimmers.

The agency concluded that the steroid was ingested through contaminated hamburgers made with Australian beef.

This explanation raised eyebrows and prompted discussions about the fairness and consistency of drug testing in worldwide sporting events.

The panel's discussion followed Australian swimmer Kyle Chalmers's stunning defeat against Chinese star Pan Zhanle in the 100m freestyle category.

Pan won gold and shattered his world record, finishing a full second ahead of Chalmers.

This event added fuel to the fire of doping allegations and the perceived unequal treatment of athletes from different countries.

Mitchell and Barr's conversation highlighted the stark contrast between the handling of doping cases in China and Australia.

They pointed to the case of Australian swimmer Shayna Jack, who was banned for two years after testing positive for the anabolic agent Ligandrol.

Her results were made public, and she faced the consequences of the anti-doping rules.

This transparency stands in stark contrast to the secrecy and leniency observed in the recent Chinese cases.

The Sunrise experts also touched upon the broader implications of doping in sports and questioned whether other athletes would feel comfortable sharing a podium with competitors under suspicion.

This was in reference to another swimmer, Mack Horton, who refused to stand on the podium with Sun Yang at the 2019 world swimming titles.

The New York Times reported that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) had doubts about the contaminated hamburger theory but did not appeal China's decision to forgo bans on the swimmers.

'The politicisation of Chinese swimming continues with this latest attempt by the media in the United States to imply wrongdoing on the part of WADA and the broader anti-doping community,' WADA's statement wrote.

'As we have seen over recent months, WADA has been unfairly caught in the middle of geopolitical tensions between superpowers but has no mandate to participate in that.'

The controversy also drew in Meat and Livestock Australia, which stated that the substance found in the swimmers, methandienone, is not used in the Australian beef industry.

This further complicates the narrative put forth by Chinese authorities and raises questions about the credibility of their defence.

As athletes grapple with these developments, the international community continues to ponder about the integrity of the sports they love.

The issue of doping has been prevalent, but each case brings a new wave of calls for a more robust, transparent, and fair testing system.

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Nat Barr and broadcaster Neil Mitchell accused China's Olympic swimming program of doping after two Chinese swimmers tested positive for steroids.
  • The Sunrise panel suggested that there seems to be a different standard when it comes to drug testing for Chinese athletes compared to others.
  • Shayna Jack, an Australian swimmer, faced a two-year ban after testing positive for the anabolic agent Ligandrol, highlighting the perceived inconsistency in handling doping cases.
  • Despite claims from China that contaminated Australian beef was the cause of the steroid ingestion, Meat and Livestock Australia stated that the substance methandienone is not used in their industry.
Have you followed the developments in competitive swimming? What are your thoughts on the fairness of drug testing across different countries? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Stay updated with Australia's Olympics standing here.

Sponsored
That's correct. Similar to Caster Semenya. Now, if it was me in that predicament, I would get a day job in lieu of wanting to compete against the world's women athletes.
Exactly what underpins that high moral ground? Michael Phelps has double jointed ankles, size 14 feet, the dolphin effect…should he have not competed and gone on to be the most successful and most decorated Olympian of all time with a total of 28 medals?

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Exactly what underpins that high moral ground? Michael Phelps has double jointed ankles, size 14 feet, the dolphin effect…should he have not competed and gone on to be the most successful and most decorated Olympian of all time with a total of 28 medals?
You missed that Michael Phelps also has ADHD. He was an outstanding swimmer who made it look easy. If you think that Caster Semenya and Iman Khelif have the green light to compete against other women, then that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion.

You missed that Michael Phelps also has ADHD. He was an outstanding swimmer who made it look easy. If you think that Caster Semenya and Iman Khelif have the green light to compete against other women, then that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion.
The fact that that many Africans have greater stamina and speed than Europeans? Genetics have an impact on many sports. Look at the 100m sprint - genetically gifted. Have no clue what ADHD has to do with anything.

The fact that that many Africans have greater stamina and speed than Europeans? Genetics have an impact on many sports. Look at the 100m sprint - genetically gifted. Have no clue what ADHD has to do with anything.
Guess also the war helps them keep fit dodging bullets. New game for the Olympics 🤣

I don't know about your background, but one of my sons was in the Institute of Sport in his younger day and represented Australia, plus played pro sport overseas. I do know about genetics because the Institute of Sport do a gamit of tests. ADHD has nothing to do with pro sport. It was merely that he also has that to deal with in life.

I don't understand your answer.

Just saw your recent post and better understand the why question now.
For me it's not high moral ground, just a personal belief about my take on fairness for myself personally, mixed in with chromosome thoughts I guess.

Size of feet aside (plenty with big feet around), I somehow think if I was in a handful of people that had a chromosome advantage over 99.whatever% of one sex on the planet, I personally wouldn't consider that a fair win for me. Nothing deeper than personal choice at play here.

Not a biggy considering I know nothing about the lady involved or or motives in competing.

Maybe my pov might be different if I thought her starving family needed the shekels for food, but her Dad displaying a birth certificate seemed reasonably well fed.

If the 'Why' was about waiting for a lady to say it first, again, just personal choice or the way I am.

I don't know about your background, but one of my sons was in the Institute of Sport in his younger day and represented Australia, plus played pro sport overseas. I do know about genetics because the Institute of Sport do a gamit of tests. ADHD has nothing to do with pro sport. It was merely that he also has that to deal with in life.
Irrelevant, as is my background. Just calling out blatant discrimination for one reason or another (or both)! Shameful in my opinion!

Irrelevant, as is my background. Just calling out blatant discrimination for one reason or another (or both)! Shameful in my opinion!
I don't care about the Olympics, but lots of people worldwide feel the same as you do. You're entitled to feel that way.

Last edited:
Just saw your recent post and better understand the why question now.
For me it's not high moral ground, just a personal belief about my take on fairness for myself personally, mixed in with chromosome thoughts I guess.

Size of feet aside (plenty with big feet around), I somehow think if I was in a handful of people that had a chromosome advantage over 99.whatever% of one sex on the planet, I personally wouldn't consider that a fair win for me. Nothing deeper than personal choice at play here.

Not a biggy considering I know nothing about the lady involved or or motives in competing.

Maybe my pov might be different if I thought her starving family needed the shekels for food, but her Dad displaying a birth certificate seemed reasonably well fed.

If the 'Why' was about waiting for a lady to say it first, again, just personal choice or the way I am.
yes plenty of big feet - more the point was the double-jointed ankles, hence the dolphin effect - a genetic advantage for the purpose of my point. not sure what money has to do with the matter either?
Not sure where the 99% advantage comes from. Has the percentage been measured?

So, if a man has low testosterone levels is he not really a man? Both men and women can have high levels of testosterone, however it does not necessarily make the woman not really a woman. Should we start testing all women for their testosterone levels to keep it fair?

yes plenty of big feet - more the point was the double-jointed ankles, hence the dolphin effect - a genetic advantage for the purpose of my point. not sure what money has to do with the matter either?

So, if a man has low testosterone levels is he not really a man? Both men and women can have high levels of testosterone, however it does not necessarily make the woman not really a woman. Should we start testing all women for their testosterone levels to keep it fair?
transgender may well be a whole different matter - I do not know the criteria that needs to be met for that. In this case, she has always been a female.

transgender may well be a whole different matter - I do not know the criteria that needs to be met for that. In this case, she has always been a female.

Sounds like your trying to pick a fight where none exists. It was just a personal opinion about myself if I had the chromosome thing.
Have a good day.

Sounds like your trying to pick a fight where none exists. It was just a personal opinion about myself if I had the chromosome thing.
Have a good day.
For sure! And a lot of misinformation causing hysteria. I am sure there are quite a few women who now have hairs on their chinny chin chin! Ah, testosterone has a lot to answer for.

Yes, the women participating in all sports would be tested for absolutely everything at that high level - hence my point before. You also have a nice day.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
LOL, both wishing me a good day - synchronised sarcasm! Well thank ya both! ... and don't give up your day jobs either.

The Chinese claim reminds me of an episode of RBT where a young woman tested positive to methamphetamines. Her excuse? "My drink must have been spiked!"

Yeah sure! Tell us another one!
Reminds me of 4 prisoners out of 15 who when done for drugs all said it must have been in the water from the wall hot water system they used to make their hot drinks. (pull the other leg, it plays Jingle Bells).

I BELIEVE ALL CONTESTANTS IN ALL HEATS WHO WIN A PLACE TO THE NEXT STAGE SHOULD BE DRUG TESTED. THIS WOULD QUICKLY CATCH OUT THE CHEATERS.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch