Sudden shortage of $2 Aussie favourite sparks confusion: ‘Where have they gone?’

For many Australians, a trip to the supermarket isn't complete without snagging a sweet treat to enjoy after the groceries are packed away.

But lately, shoppers have been left scratching their heads and facing disappointment as a beloved chocolate bar has seemingly performed a vanishing act from the shelves.

The classic Bounty bar is a coconut-filled delight that has been a staple in Aussie pantries for years. But recently, this popular confectionery, which usually retails for around $2.20, had seemingly disappeared from Aussie shelves.

Social media platforms and online forums have been abuzz with speculation and shared frustrations from those missing their coconutty fix.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 072428.png
Shoppers are reporting that the $2 Bounty bar is nowhere to be found. Image source: Facebook

The initial reports of the Bounty bar's scarcity surfaced last year when a concerned Aussie voiced their inability to find the treat at local supermarkets.

The shopper wrote: ‘What’s up with Bounty chocolate bars vanishing? Every time I go to Coles or Woolies, I can’t ever find them.’

The thread quickly became a hub for others to share their similar experiences and theories about the shortage, with many pointing to the global disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic as a likely factor affecting imports and supply chains.

‘I went to BIG W and the only area they had them was in the grab stands at the registers. Are they being discontinued or something?’ another asked.

‘I’ve been having the same issue. Bounty bars have been unreliably coming in [to Australia] since COVID-19 messed with imports,’ a third person shared.

As the months dragged on without a Bounty in sight, fans took to various social media platforms to seek answers. Queries and laments about the missing chocolate bars flooded feeds, with some expressing a longing for the tropical taste that had been absent from their lives for weeks.

‘Just noticed the lack of Bounty chocolate bars in Woolies and Coles, where have they gone?’ a social media user asked.

‘I’ve been wanting a Bounty for weeks and every time I’m at Woolies there’s none to be seen,’

But before you jump to conclusions about the fate of the Bounty bar, rest assured that it hasn't been discontinued.

The manufacturer, Mars, has stepped in to clarify the situation, providing a much-needed update.

According to a spokesperson, the disappearance of the Bounty bar from major retailers like Coles and Woolworths is not a sign of its demise but rather a temporary hiccup.

'Our much-loved Bounty is not going anywhere,' the Mars representative assured chocolate lovers in a statement to news outlets.

'However, due to capacity constraints at our factory where Bounty is produced in Europe, Australian consumers may be experiencing stock shortages in some areas of the country.'

The spokesperson added: ‘We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience, and we anticipate Bounty to be back on shelves by the middle of June.’

This news follows Mars’ confirmation that the dark chocolate version of the Bounty bar has been discontinued.

This decision sparked a Change.org petition in September 2023 to bring it back. Unfortunately, the campaign was unsuccessful, leaving dark chocolate Bounty enthusiasts to reminisce about what once was.
Key Takeaways
  • Bounty bars have been difficult to find on Australian supermarket shelves due to stock shortages.
  • Mars, the manufacturer of Bounty, has confirmed that the shortage is due to capacity constraints at their European factory, not because the product is being discontinued.
  • Customers have been voicing their frustrations on social media over the lack of Bounty bars.
  • The stock issues first became noticeable last year, and Mars anticipates Bounty bars will return to shelves by mid-June.
So, dear members, have you noticed the absence of the Bounty bar during your shopping trips? Have you found any suitable substitutes to tide you over until its return? Share your experiences and your go-to chocolate fixes in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love coconut and would always buy the family bags of them. They would be put in the fridge to get cold, then when ready I could eat the chocolate on the outside , then devour the coconut.. yummmmmmmmmmm

$2.20 a bar!!!! some people must be stark raving mad.... That is what a meal cost me....

Don't these people know their history?
There was a damn Mutiny on the Bounty, you'll find them all on Pitcairn Island and for those who don't like coconut, you won't find them there either!

I love coconut and would always buy the family bags of them. They would be put in the fridge to get cold, then when ready I could eat the chocolate on the outside , then devour the coconut.. yummmmmmmmmmm
Why pay all that money when you can make them yourself with three ingredients desiccated coconut condensed milk and melted chocolate.ln a bowl just mix condensed milk with coconut till it all comes together. Line tin with baking paper add coconut and freeze.Cut into what ever size you want and cover with melted chocolate Simple!