Sudden resignation shakes up Today—surprise replacement revealed!

The Australian television landscape is often a revolving door of talent, with presenters coming and going, but only some departures make waves quite like Brooke Boney's recent announcement.

The Today show, a staple of morning television for many Australians, is set to see a significant change in its lineup following Brooke's resignation to pursue academic dreams at Oxford University in the UK.

A familiar face on Today for five years, Brooke surprised viewers with her emotional on-air announcement.

She expressed her gratitude for the opportunity to be part of the show and shared her excitement about her upcoming adventure.

‘I’m so grateful to come in here every day, and I love you all so much. It’s made the decision really difficult,’ Brooke said.

1721171872854.png
Jayne Azzopardi replaced Brooke Boney as Today's news presenter after Brooke departed. Credit: @thetodayshow / Instagram

‘But it just means that you’ll all have to plan trips to the UK to come and visit me.’

Brooke announced on Today that she plans to pursue a Master of Public Policy at Oxford University starting this September.

‘I thought this is sort of what fits best with my journalistic career thus far,’ she continued.

‘I thought if I don’t do this now, then I’m probably never going to. I am at that age where if I leave now and go and study and come back, I’ll still only be 38’

Brooke's journey with Today has been remarkable. In January 2023, she transitioned from an entertainment presenter to the show's news presenter.

As Brooke prepared to bid farewell to her morning television family, Nine quickly filled the void, announcing Jayne Azzopardi as her replacement.

‘We're thrilled to welcome Jayne Azzopardi, one of Nine's most accomplished journalists, to Today in the news chair. Jayne has covered politics in Canberra, reported on major news events, and co-hosted Weekend Today.’ Nine said.

Jayne is an accomplished journalist with a wealth of experience, including covering politics in Canberra and co-hosting Weekend Today.

She is set to bring her expertise to the weekday team.

Nine's director of morning television, Steven Burling, shared the news with staff and highlighted Jayne's impressive credentials and readiness to take on the news responsibilities on Today.

Renee Bargh will join the team more regularly to cover the entertainment side of Brooke's role.

‘Joining her is Renee Bargh, known for her career at Channel V and as a correspondent for EXTRA in LA, to cover the entertainment round alongside Dickie.' Nine added.

'We're privileged to have Jayne and Renee join our team at Today.’

Initially, she'll be on the show at least a few days a week. Still, given her seamless integration into the team during previous summer fill-ins, viewers can expect to see her become a more permanent fixture.

Brooke started at Today in 2019, initially as an entertainment presenter. In January 2023, she transitioned to the role of news presenter.

Before her time at Today, Brooke was a political correspondent for NITV and a newsreader at Triple J from 2016 to 2018.

She earned her Bachelor of Communication (Journalism) from the University of Technology Sydney in 2014.

In similar news, Brooke reported from Nine that the risks of identity theft were highlighted following a case where stolen mail enabled scammers to take over a victim's phone number and access their bank accounts.

Tech expert Trevor Long stressed the significance of being vigilant for signs of identity theft. For further details on this story, click here.

Key Takeaways

• Nine Network has announced Jayne Azzopardi as the news presenter to replace Brooke Boney on Today following Brooke's departure to study at Oxford University.
  • Renee Bargh will also regularly join the Today show team to cover the entertainment segment, working alongside Richard Wilkins.
  • Brooke Boney announced her shock resignation live on-air in March, expressing her plans to study a Master of Public Policy at Oxford University from September.
  • Brooke joined Today as an entertainment presenter in 2019 and became the news presenter in January 2023, having previously worked as a political correspondent and newsreader in other media roles.
Are you excited to see what Jayne and Renee will bring to the table? Do you have any fond memories of Brooke's time on the show? Share your comments below.

Sponsored