Aussie TV presenter's mail misfortune sparks identity theft nightmare

In an age where our personal information is as valuable as currency, protecting it has never been more critical.

Unfortunately, even the most vigilant can fall prey to modern scammers' cunning tactics, as an Australian television presenter recently discovered.

The Today show correspondent shared a harrowing tale that serves as a stark reminder for all to remain ever-watchful for signs of identity theft.

Brooke Boney's experience is a classic example of how scammers can exploit something as seemingly innocuous as stolen mail to wreak havoc on an individual's life.

‘It happened to me once, they stole my mail so they had enough information to call the phone company and transfer my number to another phone,’ Boney narrated.

‘This then meant they could get access to the bank, they closed off my email—all of that within a few hours, and the only indication for me that something was wrong, is that I stopped getting text messages.’

Screenshot 2024-04-12 090116.jpg
Brooke Boney warned against scammers after experiencing identity theft due to stolen mail. Credits: YouTube / TODAY

Scam victims are usually targeted after inadvertently clicking on a suspicious link sent to them via email or text.

However, according to Today's tech expert, Trevor Long, it's crucial to watch for specific indicators that something may be amiss.

‘There are always hints like emails informing you someone is trying to do this, someone's trying to reset something—you need to take that communication seriously,’ he advised.

He also warned against clicking on any links in such emails. Instead, to ensure safety, he recommended following up with the bank or telecommunications company directly.

‘The best thing you can do here is get on it quickly with the companies involved because identity fraud is exactly what the scammers are trying to do right now,’ he explained.

The story of Townsville father Andrew Ryder further illustrated the devastating impact of such scams.

Ryder had $10,000 siphoned from his bank account after scammers transferred his phone number to a new device, despite his attempts to prevent it.

‘I was contacted by one of my banks to suggest that someone was trying to impersonate me, then I received some texts from both Telstra and my Optus company to say they were changing some of my personal details, which I hadn't requested,’ Ryder recounted.

‘Within a few hours, they'd connected my phone number to another device, even though I'd called them and said I didn't want this to happen, they still went ahead with it.’

‘Subsequently, they were able to defraud the bank of $10,000 in a very short space of time because they now had the multi-factor authentication,’ he continued.

Boney's revelation sheds light on the pervasive nature of scams in today's digital landscape.

As individuals increasingly rely on technology for communication and transactions, scammers are finding more sophisticated ways to exploit victims' data.

Understanding the tactics used by scammers is crucial in protecting oneself from falling victim to such schemes.
Key Takeaways

• Brooke Boney warned about scammers after experiencing identity theft due to stolen mail, which allowed scammers to transfer her phone number and access her bank accounts.
  • Today tech expert Trevor Long emphasised the importance of paying attention to the warning signs of identity theft, such as unexpected communication from companies.
  • It is recommended not to click on links in suspicious emails, and to instead directly contact the bank or telecommunications company to confirm any changes.
  • Andrew Ryder, a father from Townsville, lost $10,000 after scammers stole his phone number and committed fraud, highlighting the risks associated with identity theft and the importance of secure multi-factor authentication.
Have you or someone you know been a victim of a similar scam? How did you handle it? Let's continue the conversation in the comments below.

Reactions: Col@45
Sponsored
Hint.

Stop using plastic cards and mobile phones to pay bills. Pay major bills by bank cheque from your cheque book. Pay cash when you make smaller payments across the counter. Chuck your mobile phone in the deep blue sea.

Oh; it's inconvenient; but so is being scammed.

My mail is a constant problem! I recently posted a cheque to pay a bill. It had to go from where I live to 2 suburbs away and was posted at the box outside the local P.O. This took 20 days to travel a very short distance to a P.O. box 2 suburbs from where I live. During the 20 days I received overdue notices and "phone calls from the company to whom I owed the money. I rang the local P.O. - no help at all. Rang the bank who said they would cancel the cheque at a cost of $40. I did nothing at that price and eventually after 20 days my cheque and letter arrived at its destination. Why does the postage keep going up - what for? not for good service that's for sure. Had I delivered my cheque on foot it would have been both quicker and cheaper!!!

Hint.

Stop using plastic cards and mobile phones to pay bills. Pay major bills by bank cheque from your cheque book. Pay cash when you make smaller payments across the counter. Chuck your mobile phone in the deep blue sea.

I thought cheques were being fased out?

I had exactly the same experience. I suppose a problem with Australia Post is that we use the internet for convenience of communication and so the letter service (if you call it a service) that we pay Australia Post for is losing money. So they sack staff.

I too recently received a final demand from our gas company (corporation) and after three friendly and helpful telephone discussions with Natalia and Mary went to my bank to stop a cheque we presumed had got lost. The overworked bank teller told me that the bank couldn't stop my cheque and I simply advised her brusquely that that was not true, whereupon I was directed to wait until a very helpful and polite female Vietnamese member of staff had the time to check my account on the computer screen and found that the cheque had been paid out at 5.01pm the preceding day. Either Australia Post had been slow, my bank had been slack in paying out the cheque, or someone in the vast gas corporation's accounts system had failed to do their job properly. Not my problem.

Having been advised by an excellent tax accountant that the date on the cheque is the date of payment if also the date of postage, it is time assorted corporate administrations stopped complaining about non-payments and perhaps assisted us do something about Australia Post's now abysmal delivery times. I don't accept bills by internet as I don't want to be scammed, so a bill sent by Australia Post usually takes a couple of weeks to get to me.

Once upon a time things actually worked with letters arriving a day after their posting; the internet has brought about disfunctionality and the new and profitable industry of scamming.

does sound like the producers at the Today show had a slow fluff story (what they call news) week. Not too many companies send out hard copy bills with any information that can be used to change a persons ID unless they have basic authentication protection. Paying by cheque (just how many people still have a chq a/c?)? There's still up to 7days for a chq to clear. Aust Post clear cheques immediately if you pay over the counter, but mailing any payment just be prepared for the delay in the deliver of mail, also upto 7days, then the clearance time.

Hint.

Stop telling everyone how they should conduct their affairs.

Reactions: hinda and Jo Piper3
Hint.

the banks are stopping cheques in a few years, I use cash for all my small business dealings. they charge business every time you swipe that cards who is getting bigger profits not us!

Last edited:
Hint.

Thats all well and good, but cheques are fast being discontinued so won’t be long and will only have card s or cash, until cash disappears too.

Reactions: hinda
Thats all well and good, but cheques are fast being discontinued so won’t be long and will only have card s or cash, until cash disappears too.
And there lies the problem. If one doesn't use it, one loses it; or demand and supply. So perhaps we should simply roll over and die and stop telling each what should/could be done.

Stop telling everyone how they should conduct their affairs.
Oh, great idea!
Don't tell anybody about any of the scamming dangers out there. Just sit idly by and let them watch their money disappear and, as the saying goes, "laugh all the way to the bank"?
What a dumb bloody statement!

Reactions: Rob44
Oh, great idea!
Don't tell anybody about any of the scamming dangers out there. Just sit idly by and let them watch their money disappear and, as the saying goes, "laugh all the way to the bank"?
What a dumb bloody statement!
If you have a brain then you can work it out. Hope you feel better now that you have ranted and raved.

You made the statement -- "simply roll over and die and stop telling each other what should be done".